Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 5:03 AM
Default TS3-lot question
I posted some screenshots from a 10x10 house on creator feedback and got a response about routing issues when placing fences at the edges of lots. I'm still a bit fuzzy as to what routing issues there are. The fences were placed at edge of lot to prevent zombies and celebrity hounds from peeping in the windows. The sims you control will enter house and property only via front door by design. Are there other issues I am not aware of?

I also created a 60x60 mall lot I plan to upload and any major problems noted would be appreciated.
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 13th Dec 2018 at 9:48 AM
If you're going to upload them here, one major thing I see is the pictures. You need to try'n make your pictures like a professional would in real life. From eyelevel of the sims, inside the room, and try to make it look good.

Another thing you should use some time on is color palettes. You can choose a palette by someone you admire, and write the rgb colors into the channels in cast. It will make the environment look very classy or themed.
Scholar
#3 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 3:28 AM
Great start on your mall! I think the overhead shots are okay as are some of the interior shots. As Volvenom said, taking shots at street level and from not too far away works better. If too far away, you see the "fish eye" effect like in your first screenshot. I find that putting the lot in the wall "drop down" mode works best. Since price is probably not an object for your mall, I'd suggest finishing off the ceilings. There are several floors that can be CASted to resemble ceiling tiles or textured ceilings. Be sure that there are plenty of things for sims to do in the mall. Taking pictures of your sims enjoying/doing things at the mall make for nice "extra" screenshots. (In addition to the required shots.) Also, don't forget to designate one entrance as the "front" door and set the front of the lot so that sims will enter the lot there and not run to the back of the lot to enter. (I'm not quite sure why they do that, but I find the above two things help prevent it.)
Top Secret Researcher
#4 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 5:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by fascisthater
I posted some screenshots from a 10x10 house on creator feedback and got a response about routing issues when placing fences at the edges of lots. I'm still a bit fuzzy as to what routing issues there are. The fences were placed at edge of lot to prevent zombies and celebrity hounds from peeping in the windows. The sims you control will enter house and property only via front door by design. Are there other issues I am not aware of?

Hi fascisthater oops, that was me who posted in your Creative feedback forum thread. I was signed into the group creator's account, instead of my account when I posted this:
Quote:
If a fence is on the absolute edge of the lot, it can cause routing issues. It is best to leave at least 1 square from the edge free (stuff sims can walk through is fine).

Looking at this screenshot, most of the left and most of the front of the house are fine, since they are not fenced in, or use the low fence that sims can walk over. The back and most of the right side are fenced in. The problem is not with visitors, who will usually route to the front door, but with other sims who can spawn at the lot line and then route fail. Since the entire lot is not fenced in, and since it is a very tiny lot, it is up to you if you want to leave it that way of not. Generally speaking, it is best to not put a fence on the very edge of the lot.

The Mall
This looks really good. It has symmetry, without being identical. You have a good variety of stores and stuff to do. I agree with Volvenom and SimmyRN about the screenshots. Most of your pictures are angled or stretched, which is not as soothing to the eye. I gave you some tips in the CFF thread. Try to minimize your use of tab, and try not to zoom out so much. Take dozens of pictures- you get better at taking screenshots by taking lots of screenshots. Experiment with angles and zoom and walls up, down, removed. Also, you will need closer screens in the overhead view. The ones you have are good as an overview of the entire lot. Then, to see each part, you may want to divide each floor, and take screenshots in sections, so everything can be seen well.

This is just my personal preference, I would remove the ladder and diving board from the pool, and recolor the top stripe of the pool so it is the same as the rest of the pool walls. This will make it a fountain, more than a pool, from an aesthetics point of view. Sims will still be able to use it to swim. It seems too small to me for the diving board. Also, you have a lot of those overhead lights. Perhaps some can be replaced with the invisible lights from buydebug.

Finally, be sure to play test the lot and make sure a sim can use everything. It looks like the exercise machine against the wall might not be accessible. What are you using as your lot zone?
I would love to see some more screenshots when you have them!

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
dodgy builder
#5 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 10:28 AM
It is very true though with fences alongside the street. They do create frequent troubles with routing.
Staff - Moderator
staff: moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 14th Dec 2018 at 9:03 PM
Default Thank you for responses
Thank you all for your responses. I did a lot of recoloring objects and build structures, removed ladders and diving boards from outside pools, moved weight machine one space from wall, removed a number of hanging lights and replaced with light effect. I seemed to be able to buy from all vendors(this lot lot uses all expansions but has no cc or store content so no pet store register, midnight hallow registers, toy making machine, or ticket machine). All the season stands seemed to only sell food for season sims are in despite different appearance. I designated this lot as a hangout and used the bookstore register and food register. I was tempted to add a nectary store to empty space but was unsure if there would be game conflicts with that register on this lot type- so I left it open so players could put what they want in there. I will take overhead screenshots of each store to get camera closer before I upload.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#7 Old 15th Dec 2018 at 4:51 AM
It looks great! Your screenshots are much improved.

Registers don't conflict with each other, but they can conflict with lot hours. If a role playing object, one that spawns an npc, like the WA registers, is staffed 24 hours a day, and is used on a lot that has closing hours, the role object link with the npc will break, and no one will show up to work the register. On the other hand, if a role object with hours, like the late night bar, is on a lot that is open 24 hours, it will not break the link, but the register will not be staffed during the hours the object is "closed". Hangout, which allows for a lot to be open 24 hours, is a good choice, since you are using 24 hour objects and objects with hours. You can add the nectary register if you want. Be aware that WA registers will have a much more limited selection for sale when they are not in the WA vacation world.

Looking forward to seeing this uploaded. Post if you need/ want more feedback.

Need help building? Mentoring4Builders: Click Here
Get in the swim- Mermaidia
New at Simszoo
Scholar
#8 Old 17th Dec 2018 at 3:24 AM
If you'd like to have a nectar "bar" or shop, have a place with tables and chairs - or island type counter with bar stools - add some nectar racks and the nectar register. There is a way / "cheat" to stock the nectar racks where you choose quality of nectar and whether buy-able or for tasting. I don't have it right in front of me but I imagine you could search and find it without too much problem. Sims can pour single drinks, if I remember correctly, as well as group servings that other sims will drink. I like to have some of both types of stocked nectar racks. That way, sims can taste test and purchase nectar. I think you have to have at least a trash can because the leftover drinks, or empty glasses, are thrown away rather than washed. It's been a while since I did this so I apologize for not remembering all the details. I believe you can leave the lot selection as nectary and this set up works really well. I like the improvements you've made to your mall! Good job!