Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 7:17 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Need assistance with Milkshape 3d modelling
Not sure if this is the right exact board to come to for this exact issue, but I'm having a problem with Milkshape 3d at the moment:

After importing this model from GTA SA, the model comes up with a set of textures which are transparent, see through like. I don't understand why this is happening and I have tried smoothing faces and reversing the vertex, nothing solved the issue. If anyone knows how to fix this then it will be really helpful
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 8:41 PM Last edited by Rosebine : 13th Mar 2019 at 8:55 PM.
Could be a priority problem. I don't suppose they have group comments, under group tabs...
Try to change their position. The first one up, send it down etc..
Under group tabs, select one mesh, and click on up or down...
I never played with anything else than sims meshes, sorry
Another thing I thought...if you right click on the bottom right window(3D) make sure you have Draw Backfaces unchecked.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 9:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
Could be a priority problem. I don't suppose they have group comments, under group tabs...
Try to change their position. The first one up, send it down etc..
Under group tabs, select one mesh, and click on up or down...
I never played with anything else than sims meshes, sorry
Another thing I thought...if you right click on the bottom right window(3D) make sure you have Draw Backfaces unchecked.

they don't have any comments and unfortunately none of that worked. No idea why this is happening
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 11:00 PM
Looks like the mesh is turned inside-out. Mark faces, then Face --> "reverse vertex order", and align normals.
This will screw up smoothing if there's supposed to be any hard lines in the mesh (everything will be smooth), but that's usually fixable, if a bit tedious to get right. If the mesh is a little high-poly and has detailed textures, you can sometimes get away with it being fully smooth.

If the mesh is an OBJ file, you can either delete the materials in the material menu, or delete the ".mat" file that comes with the OBJ file to not get any textures. The .mat files are sometimes a little borked. Deleting the .mat file only works before you import the OBJ, not after.
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 11:47 PM
From my experience I would open the texture files in paint. Then resave them. Then reapply them again in milkshape. Milkshape doesn't like transparent textures, that's all. Paint saves them in a format that removes transparency.

The mesh looks perfect from what I can see.

Just in terms of viewing your model in milkshape this should do the trick.

The game usually isn't as sensitive to textures, so it should be fine in game. Though, the files may need some tweaking along the way to make them show up properly in game. If you run in to problems again just come back to this thread, we could give you some more suggestions.
Mad Poster
#6 Old 13th Mar 2019 at 11:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 14th Mar 2019 at 12:20 AM.
Can you right-click in the 3D window, choose "smooth shaded" and take a new picture? Would help in figuring out whether it's a texture/material problem or a mesh problem. Either that, or upload the file.

Game characters like that tend to come with fully colored textures without transparency. Transparent textures tend to be separate from the regular non-transparent ones, because games tend to use different settings for items with transparency, often separate mesh parts, and therefore need different textures.

This does look like a mesh problem, because it looks like the inside of the mesh is textured instead of the outside. Transparency usually looks different. The attached picture below shows a normal mesh to the left, and an inside-out mesh to the right, just to clarify what I mean with the inside-out problem.

Like I said above, easiest way to fix is to mark faces, then Face --> "reverse vertex order", and align normals. Occasionally you have to tinker with the mesh to get the smoothing right if fully smoothed bothers you. Once in a while, the mesh will have issues that gets worse by smoothing it, but there are some ways around. It doesn't hurt to try (you don't have to save if the result is horrible), and if it doesn't work, let us know.
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 12:12 AM
The hands do look like they could be reversed but it's hard to tell.

I've had this happen before and do hope it could just be as easy as changing things around in Paint.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 12:23 AM
if what I suggested won't work (you need to do it in the correct order!), can you perhaps upload or link to the original OBJ file, so I can take a look? I've had similar issues with various meshes, but usually managed to fix it with some tinkering. If I figure out what's wrong, it can come in handy for when you next want to import a mesh from the same place.
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#9 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 1:21 AM
Right click, click Transparency, choose a setting other than Simple. That just might do the trick.

As a side note, yeah MilkShape doesn't care for transparent textures all that much but if you make sure the group that's supposed to have the transparency is the last in the list everything should display correctly. (For non-CAS/bodyshop stuff at least. And since your model doesn't look like it uses/has transparency.... feel free to ignore this part, lol.)
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Right click, click Transparency, choose a setting other than Simple. That just might do the trick.

As a side note, yeah MilkShape doesn't care for transparent textures all that much but if you make sure the group that's supposed to have the transparency is the last in the list everything should display correctly. (For non-CAS/bodyshop stuff at least. And since your model doesn't look like it uses/has transparency.... feel free to ignore this part, lol.)

Oh my! You learn something new everyday. I just learnt 2 new things. This is the better and faster suggestion (than my own method). I just tried it on something and it's exactly what you would need to do. I used 'Depth Buffered with Alpha Reference' and everything came out smoother.

I'm also interested in what might cause a mesh to reverse, because that seems like a lot to undo! I am pretty new to meshing anyway so I haven't come across some of the more complex meshing.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz

Yep this solved the problem, sorry for the late response guys I've been a bit busy but changing it from 'simple' to 'depth buffed with alpha reference' fixed the problem. However, since I will be exporting this, will it still appear the same after exporting from miklshape? as in it won't look transparent like before?
Mad Poster
#12 Old 14th Mar 2019 at 8:23 PM
That depends on whether the transparency issue was the only issue. You may want to test it in SimPE first (use the preview option in the GMDC).

Meshes/textures without transparency should look the same in all the three transparency settings. You may want to edit the textures to make sure they're not transparent.

You should also check if it looks proper in the "smooth-shaded" setting, instead of "textured".