Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 12:41 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Where to Get Ultimate Collection
I am currently playing the Super Collection on a MacBook Pro, and I have been thinking about switching to the Ultimate Collection, and running it from Windows on the laptop instead of on iOS. I am mainly wanting to finally (and I cannot stress this enough) get access to Freetime and Apartment Life, but I have encountered a possible problem. I can't seem to find out where to get the game from. I figured a download might be better since I am still using a MacBook, and I am not sure if the discs will still install, even if it is being run from Windows. It seems Origin is not offering Sims 2 at all and the only place I have found any Sims 2 products is on eBay. I am reluctant to buy from eBay because I don't understand how they can sell Origin access if it isn't offered anymore. I don't mind paying for the games, but I do want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for.

Any suggestions on making the transition or setting up the Mac to use Windows is also appreciated, even advice like, don't even attempt, not going to work etc. I haven't made any commitments yet, so this is mostly information seeking right now. Thank a bunch.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 12:46 AM
You can't, EA stopped giving it out last October. The only way to get Sims 2 is to buy the game second-hand on eBay or maybe new still on Amazon. I bought a complete set off ebay, all ep's and sp's and the books for $100 hardly used. You just have to keep checking and buy from a reputable seller and make sure to ask that all the codes are included. Disks don't need Origin access, they are stand-alone games. if you go the disk route make sure to download all the patches from here and apply them. ignore any messages saying the game is up to date. The disks may try and connect you to the long ago closed sims 2 site, just click off that.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Field Researcher
#3 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 6:17 AM
I can't say anything on getting UC since it's not being released anymore (as jo said above), but I play on a bootcamped macbook pro! Your discs should still work.. if your laptop doesn't have a disc drive you'll need an external cd drive (like $20 on amazon). Bootcamp is pretty easy even if you've never done it before - just use the bootcamp assistant and follow the prompts. I recommend making your windows partition a reasonable size since you'll need room for CC and any other games you might want to install now that you can play on windows
Alchemist
#4 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 10:41 AM
This is just a personal take, but it may help... I shop on ebay constantly and, as far as ebay is concerned, I would feel comfortable once I looked at the seller's reputation and the particular ad carefully. There's a good one on now with 10 disks that I'd be comfortable with. As for the ones that sell access to accounts, they are just selling the account info for accounts that were given the game when it was available with the idea that the game should be in the library there. I'd say there's a bit of risk there, but, if I wanted to try it, I'd pick a reputable seller and then look at it as it's not that much money to risk.

Wasn't there Super Collection or something like that for Macs? I don't know anything about Macs but maybe that's worth a try?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#5 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 11:36 AM
OP states that they're currently playing the Super Collection...
Alchemist
#6 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 11:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
OP states that they're currently playing the Super Collection...

Oh, yeah, sorry. Forgot that.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 1:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunrader
Wasn't there Super Collection or something like that for Macs? I don't know anything about Macs but maybe that's worth a try?

IIRC, EPs and SPs released after Bon Voyage were never converted for Mac, and aren't in the Super Collection.
Instructor
#8 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 3:37 PM
This is just a personal take, but it may help... I shop on ebay constantly and, as far as ebay is concerned, I would feel comfortable once I looked at the seller's reputation and the particular ad carefully. There's a good one on now with 10 disks that I'd be comfortable with. As for the ones that sell access to accounts, they are just selling the account info for accounts that were given the game when it was available with the idea that the game should be in the library there. I'd say there's a bit of risk there, but, if I wanted to try it, I'd pick a reputable seller and then look at it as it's not that much money to risk.

My view on this is.... how many codes can one person have and how did he get them all? I saw that ad too. And since Origin is no longer providing codes, I think it's a scam. I already had most EP's and SP's on disc except Mansion & Gardens, IKEA and Kitchen and Bath. I bought the original CD's from buyers that came in perfect condition with the books (for codes). So the only one I think I'm missing is the Holiday stuff. So I would trust buying each CD individual from eBay.

Don't know if she still has this but you can PM her to check.....
http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=623076
Alchemist
#9 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 4:18 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 1st Feb 2019 at 6:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
My view on this is.... how many codes can one person have and how did he get them all?

I don't think they are codes. I think they are the login info for accounts where the game is already. But, of course, you may be right. I don't know.
Instructor
#10 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 4:48 PM
I don't think they are codes. I think they are the login info for accounts where the game is already. But, of course, you may be right. I don't know

Still same point, one person can not have all those accounts there would be no chance at getting codes since it's discontinued.
Alchemist
#11 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 4:54 PM Last edited by Sunrader : 1st Feb 2019 at 5:08 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Still same point, one person can not have all those accounts there would be no chance at getting codes since it's discontinued.

The most likely scam is just that someone sells the same account info a number of times, but I don't know, of course. I'm curious, though.
Instructor
#12 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 5:27 PM
The most likely scam is just that someone sells the same account info a number of times, but I don't know, of course. I'm curious, though.

Don't be curious, it's a scam. They can give you the account information all day long, but when it comes down to actually downloading the packs, it won't happen, no codes.
Alchemist
#13 Old 1st Feb 2019 at 5:58 PM
The seller says the game is already loaded into the account, so you wouldn't need a code. They probably just signed up to origin numerous times and kept requesting copies of UC, back when EA was still giving it away. Either way though, selling origin accounts is prohibited, and if EA finds out you bought one, they'll cancel it.
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 7:03 AM
Just wanted to say, I got the UC Fun with Pets collection from Origin last year, 2018 ..... don't like it as well as using all the individual disc but you can still get it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#15 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 7:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30
Just wanted to say, I got the UC Fun with Pets collection from Origin last year, 2018 ..... don't like it as well as using all the individual disc but you can still get it.

No you can't still get it, it was definitely stopped late 2018. This is different from the few years before this where you could still get it if you got a decent rep, EA made it so reps can't give it out, they removed it completely. I may be wrong with the October date, there is a thread on MTS someplace with the actual date. Sounds like you got it just in time.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#16 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 8:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SilverFox30

Just wondering, what do you like better about the discs?
Undead Molten Llama
#17 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 9:09 PM
Just wondering, what do you like better about the discs?

I dunno about SilverFox, but my answer would be not being reliant on EA for my game. What EA gaveth, they can also taketh away, should they want to for whatever reason. (No one paid for the UC, after all.) If they took the UC off the cloud or cancelled everyone's access to it and you needed to, for instance, reinstall on a new machine, then you'd be kinda screwed. Better safe than sorry, IMO, at least if being able to play the game as far into the future as you want is important to you.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#18 Old 2nd Feb 2019 at 11:33 PM
Oh I much prefer my disks. No Origin for a start. My game belongs solely to me. I despise this whole download stuff and save to cloud thing. Also, things where you pay a yearly sub which means I don't really own it. Forget that. EA and Origin could go down tomorrow but I will still have my disks. In fact, I have 2 complete sets. *and yes I am old and cranky about it* :P

~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#19 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 12:02 AM Last edited by Sunrader : 21st Mar 2019 at 12:48 PM.
Makes sense.
Instructor
#20 Old 3rd Feb 2019 at 12:19 AM
I just want to give a warning about buying Sims 2 from Amazon, eBay, CDKeys, etc.... If you are going to buy from these vendors, make sure it's the CD/DVD version and not the digital versions. There are no legal digital versions that are being sold anywhere, except for The Simsâ„¢ 2: Super Collection that's only being sold on the Mac Apple Store. So if someone is saying that they have codes for the Sims 2 or Ultimate Collection for sale, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM.

There's no drama, like Sims drama.

Currently Playing: Sims 2 again!

Test Subject
#21 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 11:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Harrahboy
I am currently playing the Super Collection on a MacBook Pro, and I have been thinking about switching to the Ultimate Collection, and running it from Windows on the laptop instead of on iOS. I am mainly wanting to finally (and I cannot stress this enough) get access to Freetime and Apartment Life, but I have encountered a possible problem. I can't seem to find out where to get the game from. I figured a download might be better since I am still using a MacBook, and I am not sure if the discs will still install, even if it is being run from Windows. It seems Origin is not offering Sims 2 at all and the only place I have found any Sims 2 products is on eBay. I am reluctant to buy from eBay because I don't understand how they can sell Origin access if it isn't offered anymore. I don't mind paying for the games, but I do want to make sure I am getting what I am paying for.

Any suggestions on making the transition or setting up the Mac to use Windows is also appreciated, even advice like, don't even attempt, not going to work etc. I haven't made any commitments yet, so this is mostly information seeking right now. Thank a bunch.

pirate bay my friend free and nice
Mad Poster
#22 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 6:38 PM
I've always loved my disc version for TS2, because except for a few startup issues on my first laptop (I didn't know the cache files existed), I've never had to reinstall it unless for a new computer, and for the most part I've had very few issues with it that weren't related to graphics cards and such. I'm afraid they'll eventually stop working, though.

Hoping to find some alternative no-CD way (as in installing with CDs but not having to use the CDs when playing to protect the CDs) now when I've got a new laptop, since it doesn't have a disc drive (I did buy an external disc drive, just in case). Bit afraid of the Securom issue (haven't actually had any visible problems with it, though), but I'm also hesitant to install the UC for all the issues that thing carries.

When I already have the full game on single CDs (no collection packs), are there any advantages to the UC at all (except for no securom and being able to install the whole thing in a go)? I need my SimPE and all of that, and apparently it can be a bit difficult to get all those external programs to play nice with the UC.
Alchemist
#23 Old 21st Mar 2019 at 7:16 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22

When I already have the full game on single CDs (no collection packs), are there any advantages to the UC at all (except for no securom and being able to install the whole thing in a go)? I need my SimPE and all of that, and apparently it can be a bit difficult to get all those external programs to play nice with the UC.

I have nothing to compare it to, but I've never had any issues with UC and I'm incredibly grateful for it. I'd be worried about CDs getting damaged or something if I had to depend on them, but there's probably little real danger of it. I think we all stick with whatever our experience has made us most comfortable with, though.