Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Sep 2018 at 9:55 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Is there a way to re-categorize downloaded patterns?
Hello all, I'm back again. XD I was wondering if there was a way to reorganize some of the custom patterns I've downloaded? I'm trying to make my game faster and it always takes FOREVER for Create-A-Style to load because of the sheer amount of patterns I've saved/downloaded. I know that in itself is a problem that I need to fix, but I also notice that a disproportionate amount of custom patterns I have is categorized as either Themed, Miscellaneous, or Abstract/Paint. It drives my OCD nuts and slows down those categories considerably when I want to use a pattern from one of them. What especially drives me crazy is when I see a wooden or brick-type pattern categorized as a Fabric or some other category that makes no sense. >_< So that's why I was wondering, is there some way to change the categories that these patterns are assigned to? Whether through normal means or some downloadable tool, can I change these patterns' types in order to better balance the categories and speed up my game? Particularly the more egregious ones that are placed in seemingly nonsensical categories. (Seriously, what's wrong with some people? Are they blind?) Thanks in advance and I hope this is the right place to post this, I believe it is. Thanks again!
Advertisement
Alchemist
#2 Old 4th Sep 2018 at 8:09 PM
There is, and it's quite easy! Here's one way to do it: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...154#post2789154

You can also recategorize patterns using S3PE, by opening the _XML resource that looks like this:

and the PTRN resource that looks like this:

and changing the highlighted parts to the category of your choice (you can grab those from the guide above)
Screenshots

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 5th Sep 2018 at 9:33 PM Last edited by PikachuMaiden : 6th Sep 2018 at 12:47 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
There is, and it's quite easy! Here's one way to do it: http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...154#post2789154

You can also recategorize patterns using S3PE, by opening the _XML resource that looks like this:

and the PTRN resource that looks like this:

and changing the highlighted parts to the category of your choice (you can grab those from the guide above)

This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! One more question though, sorry. The link above mentioned that if you have patterns already installed via sims3packs, you might find their package files in the DCBackup folder and edit those. I did so using S3PE, but now I'm wondering: if I delete the contents of my DCBackup folder (as I routinely do to increase the performance of my game since I know that they'll regenerate the next time I run the game) will they no longer be in the new categories that I assigned them to? Thanks again!
Alchemist
#4 Old 6th Sep 2018 at 6:41 AM
Quote: Originally posted by PikachuMaiden
This is exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much! One more question though, sorry. The link above mentioned that if you have patterns already installed via sims3packs, you might find their package files in the DCBackup folder and edit those. I did so using S3PE, but now I'm wondering: if I delete the contents of my DCBackup folder (as I routinely do to increase the performance of my game since I know that they'll regenerate the next time I run the game) will they no longer be in the new categories that I assigned them to? Thanks again!

Hmm, I don't normally delete those files so I can't say for sure, but I assume the changes you make won't "stick".
I do recommend converting future sims3pack patterns you download into packages, as they're much easier to work with If you run into the problem of them overlapping other patterns in the catalog in-game, see this very helpful guide (it's another fairly easy fix): https://ohmysims.tumblr.com/post/122673018070
If you haven't removed them, you can find the sims3packs of the patterns you installed via Launcher, in the Downloads folder in My Documents.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!