Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 5:53 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default Game launcher crashes when looking at installed content?
Every time i try to uninstall some CC from the launcher, the launcher crashes. I cant find the .Sims3Pack files of the content that i want to get rid of anywhere either so I'm not sure what to do. the game runs well enough, there's just a lot of CC i downloaded and never end up using so i want to get rid of it. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 5:57 PM
Even on its best day, the Launcher is a PITA. However, there are some tricks you can use to make it run a little smoother and less glitchy.
  • Empty your Downloads folder. The more the Launcher has to keep track of the worse it gets, if you have alot of downloads and installed content, you're really pushing your luck to have the Launcher work at all. The simplest way to empty the Launcher and not lose the items you have downloaded is to create a folder inside the Downloads folder, perhaps name it "Installed". Now when you install a sims3pack, simply put it in the Installed folder. Launcher cannot see or view them anymore
  • Empty your Exports folder. Same as the Downloads folder above, emptying this folder will increase the ability of the Launcher to function. Anything you attempt to share such as Siims, Lots, etc will be placed here as well as Screenshots and Videos. Create one or more folders (if you wish to organize) and place all contents of the Exports folder in the folder(s) you created.
  • The Launcher is limited to viewing 500 items at a time. If you have more than 500 items, anything after 500 are not visible. If you have more than 500 Items, you should be using the individual tabs when viewing Installed Content (Sims, Lots, Objects, & Patterns). Each tab is capable of displaying 500 items as well, giving you the potential of viewing 2000 items. If you have more than 500 items under any one tab, you will not see those over 500.
  • If you have a mass of items installed, reduce the amount by uninstalling those you dont absolutely have to have. The reduced amount will not only speed up the Launcher, but your game as well.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 6:20 PM
I moved all my sims3pack files into a folder like you suggested and i only have 78 files there, but all of them are the things i want to keep. i was able to uninstall one lot that i haven't used in a long time but when i went to uninstall anything else, my launcher crashed again. i definitely don't think i have more than 500 files to uninstall but i could be wrong.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 17th Apr 2014 at 9:20 PM
78 really isn't that much, there may be something corrupted in your user files (doesn't take much with the launcher.

You could try one or more of the following:
  • go to the Documents > Electronic Arts > The Sims 3 > DCCACHE folder, move the missingdeps.idx file to your desktop, try to run launcher. If that doesn't help, you can move the idx file back or just delete since the it will have been replaced.
  • Move the folder Library (those are your houses and households) to your desktop (or rename it). You won’t loose Houses and households that are already placed in a neighborhood. You’re only removing them from the library. Start the launcher and try to scroll up and down on the tabs Downloads and Installed Content. If everything works, it was a house/household that did not get installed properly. Reinstall all houses you want to keep or try and find the guilty party by moving the files back one by one.
  • If the launcher still crashes, do the same for the folder SavedSims and the *.dbc files in your DCCache folder. Sims you have placed in your game will not be affected by this. You’re just removing them from CAS. This is not true for the files in DCCache. Removing those will replace the download your Sim/House was using. Because of this, do not start a savegame until you have reinstalled all Content.
  • if none of that helps, you could try and rename your user files, start the launcher and the game, so the files are regenerated. Now you can check the launcher to see if it works properly. If so, start moving things in one at a time from your renamed files, checking the launcher after each move to ensure proper working order.
Test Subject
#5 Old 2nd Jul 2018 at 5:44 AM
Default Just a heads up as this is the thread the search brings up first
I've been having the same problem.

Discovered that, if I push that popup window aside without choosing any of the options, I can still work in the Launcher. Just click the "X" when done.

Found out I had that Arezzo counter in my game. It doesn't show up in Dashboard and I install everything as packages except worlds, some patterns and counters or sets with counters (as they don't function as packages). No Sims, which is where this thing is supposed to be attached.

I tried to uninstall it but it said it was dependent. Moving things in and out didn't help because, again, I don't install Sims through the launcher! Just a thought about the worlds and looked at one I'd installed recently - a world I built! Looked in it and sure enough, Arezzo Counter! Seems like it attached itself long ago and I had no idea! Uninstalled the world and was able to then uninstall the counter. Pulled the world up in Custard, removed the bad file and reinstalled through the Launcher with no further troubles!

Anyway, Launcher works perfectly now. This is a heads up for anyone having this trouble because this thread is the first place that the search points to. Might save the next person having to move all that stuff around or believing they can't use the Launcher to fix the problem.