Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 4:03 PM Last edited by gazania : 1st Feb 2018 at 10:17 PM.
Default This one is hopefully an easy question ... sink or not?
I'm rebuilding my Newman house in the Community Spirit contest from the ground up in a fresh game to make sure it's copasetic. It might be part of the Pets theme, though that is a little iffy because I had made it some time ago. Even so, it has already taken me about four or five hours of looking at screenshots, looking for the few items of CC I wanted (it was quite the search, since the mesh for one item was on a site that no longer exists, so I had to find it elsewhere), to rebuild it and make a few corrections. Six items of CC ... the cabinets (plus mesh ... no cabinets in a kitchen looks really odd!!), the smoke alarm hood range (plus mesh) and a backsplash (plus mesh). No womrat and bird cage .. the player can put them in there, and if you move/delete a few things, there is still room for them. It went a little over budget, but I feel there is no need to keep it in that budget outside of the contest. I did make it a point to keep the increase no higher than 10% of the budget, so it's just under 38,000 Simoleons (limit would be 38,500).

I'm about 70% done. It is not an exact representation, because I altered a small detail or two and might have moved something a hair left or right, but it's pretty close. I need to add terrain (Maxis), check quickly to see if playability is OK (it should be, since I did not alter anything having to do with routing, and I put a sub-roof under the roof, so weather should be fine) and aesthetics (did I forget a wallpaper?), but I would like to put this in the queue in two or three days. I will not have time to finish it after Sunday ... too many doctor visits.

The thing is sinking the foundation. The original house plans had a low porch, so I sunk the house two steps in the contest. Small dogs can climb up the stairs easily, but without a mod, large dogs cannot. That was fine for the contest, but it may be a pain for players who don't want to add an extra mod to allow the large pets to pass, and I'm not sure if cats can use a sunken foundation. My cats seemed to be house cats in the contest! (I gave them a job in one iteration, but they wouldn't leave. I could test that again.) Rabbie requires a mod for toddlers to visit, true, but it could be re-worked for school-aged children instead of toddlers if the person didn't want the mod. I'm trying to keep the Newman lot simple, with no more than six CC items needed for it to work as pictured. That includes meshes. (Does not include CEP ... that is pretty much an essential mod.)

I always package lots sunken and unsunken because sometimes, I prefer the unsunken lot in a few situations. Aesthetically, it looks OK either way.

So sink, don't sink, or offer both versions (again, since I had two Naftali versions)?

EDIT. Might be nice to actually post my WIP ... or my WIP based on the original lot. It really hasn't changed very much, but it would save a search looking for the original!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 8:46 PM
Hard to answer, though

I like the lot, and I think the foundation with the pebbles looks lovely.

The lot would probably look just as good if it is sunk though
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#3 Old 4th Feb 2018 at 12:29 AM
Why not use Moo's Grid Adjuster http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=327439

I love that for shrinking foundations (rather than sinking them)

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc