Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Sep 2005 at 3:59 PM Last edited by Echo : 11th Sep 2008 at 12:36 PM.
TUTORIAL: MESHING - Creating an Armoire Step by Step
Hi!

I've noticed some new mesh armoires and dressers here that do not work properly... like the drawers or doors not opening when a Sim goes to change clothes.

Anyway, I've created an extremely detailed step by step tutorial for an armoire that will take you from the new mesh all the way to putting the armoire in the game.

The file is a Word document and is graphics intense (hence the size).

Everything you will need to complete the tutorial is located in the file. If you find any errors, or cannot understand something, please feel free to post here or PM me.

Enjoy.

----------
Tutorials:MESHING_-_Creating_an_Armoire_Step_by_Stepwiki
Attached files:
File Type: rar  ArmoireTutorial.rar (2.08 MB, 3776 downloads) - View custom content

You gotta have faith . . .
www.Grapholina.com
Advertisement
#2 Old 30th Sep 2005 at 8:30 PM
Hi Grapholina,

For some time I am struggeling with animations etc. Thanks to your tutoriol I know now why! I just don't know how to solve it...

In sim PE (I have the newest version) I click on "geometric data container" in the "resource tree" and also in the "Type" window. Than I go to "plugin view" and I don't have the sheet " 3D Mesh" all the pictures in your tutorial are under the sheet "geometric data container" in my "plugin view" part. When I export the armoire wood and import this in Milkshape, it is not lying down but standing straight up!

Also when I use the meshtool on several objects, the clothings are in the preview of SimPE correct, and my piece is lying on his back, 1 meter in front of the clothing. I really hope you can help me!

2nd problem, I tried many times to get the baby container working, it has a rack which the mother can open and close, but mine does not move...The problem is that there is no animation file in simPE.

I hope you can help me, Best regards, Yvette.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#3 Old 30th Sep 2005 at 9:47 PM
Yvette, I think the problem with the "baby container" not working, is because once you clone, unless you re-assign the bones and joints and things, you won't have animations.

That's why taking it into the Mesh Tool solves those problems.

As to the 3D Mesh tab... you should have it. Which version of SimPE are you using? And which file did you clone? If you will upload your package, I can take a look at it to try to help you.

www.Grapholina.com
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 7:15 PM
Thank you for answering so fast! I have version -48 B and tried also version -48 C (the unfinished version which will be Nightlife compatible), I would like to upload my file if we can't solve the problem but I don't know how...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2005 at 11:07 PM
Yvette, try using the full version 48 of SimPe. The armoire you create will work with NL.

www.Grapholina.com
Part-time Hermit
#6 Old 3rd Oct 2005 at 5:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by yvettepranger

In sim PE (I have the newest version) I click on "geometric data container" in the "resource tree" and also in the "Type" window. Than I go to "plugin view" and I don't have the sheet " 3D Mesh" all the pictures in your tutorial are under the sheet "geometric data container" in my "plugin view" part. When I export the armoire wood and import this in Milkshape, it is not lying down but standing straight up!

Also when I use the meshtool on several objects, the clothings are in the preview of SimPE correct, and my piece is lying on his back, 1 meter in front of the clothing. I really hope you can help me!

I had the same problem with the armoire lying on the floor after creating one according to another tutorial. I don't know why because I created the mesh in the same position as the original, but I solved it by rotating the whole mesh in Milkshape after UV-mapping it, setting the Rotate values to Origin and X 90, Y 0, Z 180, I think.
#7 Old 6th Oct 2005 at 8:43 PM
Thank you all, I posted my question earlier in another thread, finally I got 3 responses there also... My export order in SimPE was XZY and it should have been XYZ, this solved at least the problem of positioning.

I am still busy with the baby bed, because in SimPE you have to export 2 times the file "frame" and the meshtool does not seem to except the files with the same name, renaming 1 also does not work... The message I get before the meshtoll closes is: Runtime error "9"
Subscript out of range

I have seen this before but don't remember how I solved it...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 11th Oct 2005 at 10:16 PM
I'm having the same problem at present with something else I'm working on, but my usual "fix" isn't fixing a darned thing. I will post here if I find an answer. I hope you do, too.

www.Grapholina.com
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 18th Oct 2005 at 12:37 PM Last edited by Madam Doofie : 18th Oct 2005 at 2:27 PM.
This is exactly what I've been looking for - thank you sooooo much! =D

I'm confused. I'm using Wings3d ... but I can't find the poly-thingy toolbar -.-. HELP!

"Whatcha doin'?"
"Probing your mind."
"Kinda roomy, innit?"
#10 Old 19th Oct 2005 at 8:14 AM
I followed the tutorial, but skipped all the milkshape stuff. I then put the file in the downloads folder after doing the last bit of the tutorial. When i open the sims its as if i didnt put it there, there is no file. Whats gone wrong?
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 27th Oct 2005 at 12:30 PM
When you skipped "all the MilkShape stuff", you probably also skipped something important. If you'd like, you can upload your file and I'll take a look.

www.Grapholina.com
Field Researcher
#12 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 9:54 AM
Wonderful tutorial Grapholina - very simply explained, thank you!
I'm very behind with learning all of this stuff so this has been a big help. Its a pitty the meshtool window wont expand properly though, that is a real nuscience, I hope they fix it in future updates!

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Field Researcher
#13 Old 2nd Nov 2005 at 9:56 AM
Oh, forgot to say, I reorientated the dresser model in Milkshape and used that to rescale the thing without the Wings3D part (or the equivalent in the programs I do have) and my dresser did come out the correct way around. I've noticed some new items I've been making have been a pain to get the correct orientation and of course I never bothered to investigate why - this of course has shed some light on that too so thank you again! I'll be tackling my own new dresser now, fingers crossed it turns out as well!

www.parsimonious.org
Artists - Get your own Studio! Always be featured!
Test Subject
#14 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 5:01 AM
This tutorial was so much fun. I need a teaching of what the X, Y, and Z does. I was also wondering if one could use the tutorial to make an object from scratch. I have a dresser, bed (single and double) and nightstand that I would like to make. If anyone can help me with this request I would be in your debt for the foreseeable future.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 6th Nov 2005 at 11:25 AM
hey erm im havving a prob with the s2mt (sims 2 meshtool) and what it is, is when i try to make a new mesh and i import it in to s2mt and then expor it out in to a .simpe file but what the hell do i oppen this with ? plz help me

Mcdonalds tv ad: [COLOR=Yellow]ba ba ba ba ba I'm lov'in it[/COLOR]
Me: well I'm not !
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 3:33 AM
mikeyspike: You open it in SimPE (export it as obj file). I don't use the Mesh Tool for anything other than what I've explained in this tutorial. For meshing, I use either 3DS Max or Amapi Pro.

www.Grapholina.com
Field Researcher
#17 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 6:10 PM
Hi.. I downloaded the tutorial, but what doe I use to open it? Anything I seem to choose just shows up as jibberish. I have tried Microsoft word, MS office, wordpad, winzip, adobe 6.0, Help!!
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#18 Old 9th Nov 2005 at 10:12 PM
MissWendy, it's a 'rar' file (a compressed file format). Go to download.com and search for 'rar' and get a free program to expand it. rar files are like zip but they compress better, so most people are switching from zip to rar.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 10th Nov 2005 at 4:14 AM
Oh thank you tiggerypum! I can now read the tutorial. Many thanks!
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 13th Nov 2005 at 1:17 AM
does anybody know how to lower the poly count in wings 3D like grapholina did in milkshape? if anybody does, it would be much appriciated.
#21 Old 24th Jan 2006 at 10:30 PM
Default Eek!
Hmm... I do your tutorial but I get stuck at the part where I'm supposed to build Dxt for the texture. I right click, but the option is not highlighted so I can't get there...Any ideas?
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 4:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ChamuelsWings
Hmm... I do your tutorial but I get stuck at the part where I'm supposed to build Dxt for the texture. I right click, but the option is not highlighted so I can't get there...Any ideas?

hey I get that too! on figure 120 i dont get the option to build DXT!

help me someone

Support BOB and his lil' bro. Visit http://bigball.atspace.com for more info!

http://totalsims2.awardspace.com - For all your sims houses!

Visit my website - http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?...stevengodofevil. Don't forget to join!
#23 Old 31st Jan 2006 at 8:15 PM
Default How to fix no "Build DXT"
Grapholina helped me out with this..you need to download and install DDT utilites (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_utilities.html) and then in SimPE go to Extra->preferences and under NVIDIA DDS tool folder find where you installed it...then it should work.

CW
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 1st Feb 2006 at 11:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ChamuelsWings
Grapholina helped me out with this..you need to download and install DDT utilites (http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_utilities.html) and then in SimPE go to Extra->preferences and under NVIDIA DDS tool folder find where you installed it...then it should work.

CW

thank you!

i finally finished my wardrobe, thanks to you.

oh yeah, this tutorial is SOOOOO detailed. THANKS Grapholina!

Support BOB and his lil' bro. Visit http://bigball.atspace.com for more info!

http://totalsims2.awardspace.com - For all your sims houses!

Visit my website - http://www.neopets.com/refer.phtml?...stevengodofevil. Don't forget to join!
Test Subject
#25 Old 22nd Feb 2006 at 6:25 PM
Thank you so much for this great tutorial! I was very confusing with animation part and uv mapping and with your very detailled instructions, I finally understand everything :bandit:

I'm so happy!!

here's my version: (Colors aren't very harmonious but it was just for the test)

if you want a french translation i'm your guy :salute: (just send me a pm)
Page 1 of 3