Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 3:07 AM
Default Morphs!
I'm thinking that the answer to this is probably no, but since I'm an idiot when it comes to meshes, maybe it's not...

So, is there an easy way to tell what morphs a given mesh might have, aside from extracting it and sticking it into Milkshape, etc? I'm toying with the idea of taking another stab at adding preg morphs to meshes that don't have them, and it would be nice to able to tell sort of at a glance which of my custom ones I might want to target.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 6:17 PM
Other than putting the clothing in the game and making your Sim fat or pregnant, I think you have to take a look in MilkShape. I've not stumbled across another way of being able to tell...
Theorist
#3 Old 26th Feb 2015 at 10:25 PM
I would be willing to lend ya a hand in lookin iCad as I would love to benefit from this when your done

Just point me at what part you want me to look through.

Question, are you doing just adult females? Or are you gonna do female teens, male teens, and adult males too?
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#4 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 12:37 AM
@fakepeeps7

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the confirmation. I guess I will have to do a bout of incrementally dumping my downloaded clothing folders into my creating user account and doing lots of testing.

@Calibrat

I'm planning to do teens and YA/adults, both genders. Probably only full-body outfits that would be appropriate as preggo outfits. Stuff with no visible belts, for instance. And full-body because it's more difficult to add morphs to separates and have them line up properly. But I might take a stab at some separates, too, if I can get some sort of standardization going. For the adults, it'll mostly be custom stuff I have because I already have some mods that add preg morphs to Maxis outfits, mostly for the wimmens, but also for some for the male outfits. They're here on MTS. There are some that are missing, though, particularly on the male side. Teens, though...Well, so far as I've seen no one's modded any of the Maxis teen meshes to add preg morphs, so those are definitely on my list. Plus custom stuff that I have for all ages, and I'm pretty sure that only a few of the female teen ones I have have preg morphs. I have already done some Maxis male teen meshes myself, so I know they work, at least for folks using Inteen plus wear-any-outfit mods like I do, but my stumbling block has been the defaulting, which I haven't figured out how to do (but admittedly haven't put a whole lot of effort into it, either, to date. ). So, they're currently in my game as custom outfits, but I want to default the meshes so that I don't have to have a custom outfit for each color and such.

ANYWAY, I appreciate the offer of help, but I'm mostly talking about custom meshes. (None of the Maxis outfits "naturally" have preg morphs, of course, because the game uses entirely separate outfits for pregnant pixels. So, those all need to be done by default.) So, in order to help me, you'd need to have the same meshes I have, and you probably don't. And since I'd just be modifying any custom meshes for my own purposes (as opposed to default-replacing Maxis ones), I'm not sure I'd share them. It'd depend on the creator's policy and, in many cases, I have NO idea who created the meshes I have because the file names don't tell me and I've had some of these meshes for eons. But I will share default-replacement preg-enabled Maxis meshes, if I can get them to work.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Theorist
#5 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 12:49 AM
@iCad

Well just rats :/ Of course it couldn't be that simple could it. (I use wear any outfit and have inteen too :p)

Wait, ok, now I'm confused. Let me see if I understand this right. Maxis normal clothes do not have a preg morp it needs to be added. Using Squinges mod, Wear any outfit, adds that preg morph to the normal clothes to allow for the preg look. Yes?

How come it only works for some of the clothes and not all?

I know that at least one maxis dresss has a preg morph, it was the one in HP's meshing tute that I jsut did :D
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#6 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 1:20 AM
@Calibrat

"Wear any outfit" mods just make it so that the pregnant Sim does not change into specifically-designated "maternity" outfits, as the game in its native state will force them to do. Instead, they will simply stay in the current outfit they are wearing when they pop. If that outfit has a preg morph as part of its mesh, then they will appear pregnant. If that outfit does not have a preg morph, however, then they will not appear to be pregnant (but will of course still be pregnant.) For that matter, there are also custom meshes out there that don't have fat morphs, so if your Sim gets fat when wearing such an outfit they won't appear fat.

Anyway, in order for everything to look right in terms of non-standard preggo-wear you need both a "wear anything" mod AND meshes that have preg morphs because the mod doesn't add them at all, no. Newer custom meshes will tend to come with both fat and pregnant morphs, especially those for adult females. Many but not all custom adult male meshes will come with preg morphs these day, too. Teens....not so much. None of the Maxis meshes except those that are specifically designated as "maternity outfits" have preg morphs, however. There are the everyday outfits which aren't otherwise available to non-preggos, plus there is one mesh in each of the other categories for both genders that have a morph. (If you're talking about the tutorial I think you're talking about -- where it teaches you how to remove the dangly thing on the back of the dress -- then yes, I believe that is the designated female formal maternity outfit, so it does indeed have a preg morph.) Anyway, the way the game natively handles pregnancy, preg morphs aren't necessary except on those outfits that are designated as "maternity." For people with a wear-anything mod, though, they are rather necessary.

And, as I said, other folks have modded and default-replaced the Maxis adult female and some adult male outfits to have preg morphs. Not all of them, though. And, as I said, I've never seen anyone tackle the teens, for those who have teen pregnancy mods, and there aren't any Maxis teen meshes that natively have preg morphs, of course. There are custom teen outfits with preg morphs out there, but so far as I've seen they're all for females and most of them are old and don't look so good with today's graphics. Plus, they're often not styles that I'd personally pick as maternity-like. And the poor teen boys have been left out in the cold, so far as I've seen. I hope to rectify that, both in terms of appropriate Maxis meshes and custom meshes that I have. Once I have the Maxis meshes fixed, I'll likely make a bunch of recolors so that I can ditch some custom outfits and still have plenty of preggo options.

Theorist
#7 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 2:18 AM
Gotcha, thanks for explainin. Some times I think I get it only to get confused again, but this time I gots it :D

Addin a preg morphs to maxis clothes wouldn't be somethin easy for a new idiot mesher, would it? ... lol
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 2:56 AM
It's actually not that hard. I am certainly not a mesh expert by any means -- my "specialty" lies more in recoloring -- and I can add morphs. It's about the only thing I know how to do, when it comes to meshes. I learned from this tutorial here: http://digitalperversion.net/garden...p?topic=14254.0 in addition to the basic clothing meshing one here to learn how to extract meshes. It's not too hard, although there's a bit of artistic-ness involved to get the shape of the bump (and the boobs, for females) to look right. The piece I don't really have yet is that, with Maxis meshes, you need to do the default replacement so that the meshes aren't seen by the game as custom meshes that you'd have to set your Sim to wear instead of just leaving them in the Maxis outfit. I have a few tutorials saved on that subject, too, but I just haven't sat down to work through them. When I get a stretch of not working 18- to 30-hour "days" I plan to do that a little more thoroughly than I have in the past. Right now, I'm stuck on my netbook between lulls at "work," and it has Photoshop on it, but nothing game-related.

Theorist
#9 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 3:12 AM
Thanks iCad .. I'll look at that tute .. right after I get the first 3 basic ones down :D, which the way I go might not be any time soon. I'm still on the first one ... lol
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#10 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 3:30 AM
You're welcome. And really, I didn't do all the basic ones. I just did the first one and then jumped right into adding morphs. Seemed to work fine.

Also, apropos of nothing, I tend to read your posts with a mental drawl, given that you leave the "g" off -ing word endings. It amuses the hell out of me and makes me feel like I'm at home in cowboy land and not here in freakin' wacko SoCal. So, thanks for that.

Theorist
#11 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 4:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
You're welcome. And really, I didn't do all the basic ones. I just did the first one and then jumped right into adding morphs. Seemed to work fine.

Also, apropos of nothing, I tend to read your posts with a mental drawl, given that you leave the "g" off -ing word endings. It amuses the hell out of me and makes me feel like I'm at home in cowboy land and not here in freakin' wacko SoCal. So, thanks for that.

NO WAY!! You're in SoCal? So am I. Born 'n raised here. I did spend 15ish years in Texas, but I've been back here for the past 12ish years now. I know I tend to leave the g off words, but I type like I talk and since that's how I talk .. well that's how I type. Sometimes my fingers will start goin and I have to stop and see what it is that I've actually said .. lol
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#12 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 4:47 AM
For the moment, I'm in SoCal, yes. Orange County, of the Truly Awful Traffic, which is mostly why I don't love it here. Home is ranchland in SW Colorado, though, which is why I appreciate the drawl, but I myself am careful about hanging on to my "g"s. (Y'all is a staple of my language, however. ) But my husband is SoCal born and raised, and he has a house here, so we're here part of the year. I'm a studio musician, mostly working on film and TV soundtracks, so now is the busy season, working on the upcoming summer movies. Then I go up to Vancouver in June and will stay there for about 6 weeks, then back down here and then back home sometime in the fall, probably. Just in time for ski season. Then back here next spring in an eternal cycle.

Theorist
#13 Old 27th Feb 2015 at 5:20 AM
91 freeway .. worlds largest parking lot

Glad I don't use it often. Though I did forget last week and started up to my parents house, got stuck in traffic and realized 'what the heck am I doin? it's 3p on a Friday afternoon'. I got off called family and told them I wasn't comin and went back home, and yes I am blond, well blond and gray :P
Forum Resident
#14 Old 22nd Mar 2015 at 2:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
I'm thinking that the answer to this is probably no, but since I'm an idiot when it comes to meshes, maybe it's not...

So, is there an easy way to tell what morphs a given mesh might have, aside from extracting it and sticking it into Milkshape, etc? I'm toying with the idea of taking another stab at adding preg morphs to meshes that don't have them, and it would be nice to able to tell sort of at a glance which of my custom ones I might want to target.
As far as custom one's, well then it is very easy. Open the mesh in SimPE and press model tab,at the bottom you will see which morphs it contains.
Undead Molten Llama
Original Poster
#15 Old 25th Mar 2015 at 6:22 AM
Ahhh, thank you! That is useful, given that it is custom meshes I want to be able to look at. I alread know that Maxis ones don't have preg morphs, other than those outfits designated as "maternity." Thanks for the tip!