Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2014 at 4:35 AM
Default Wanting to Learn how to Mesh..
Hi there,

I really do enjoy recolouring and adding touches to maxis textures, but I've gotten to that point that I want to learn how to make my own clothing meshes so they are completely unique.

I know there are tutorials on how to do so, but I would really appreciate on your personal experiences!

Such as how you started, learned, which programs you used, what do you find easiest and hardest to do.

I've wanted to create really intricate fabrics/clothing for a while.

Thanks,
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 26th Dec 2014 at 7:35 PM
I started with the three basic tutorials here on this site. Then I added to that with CatOfEvilGenius's alpha meshing tutorial. It took a while for me to become really comfortable with meshing. There were a few tears of frustration (and a lot of whining) in the beginning.

For me, the hardest part was not the meshing itself, but creating the mesh package and linking everything up properly so that the mesh would work and display in Body Shop and the game. That's still my least favourite part of the process. Well, that and making morphs. My favourite part is actually pushing vertices around and making the new mesh shape.

I use Body Shop, SimPE, and MilkShape 3D for meshing, and Photoshop Elements for the textures. I've been a bit hobbled since I got a new computer with Windows 7, as it simply will not run all the tools in MilkShape (Windows XP worked so much better). But I've managed to work around those problems for the most part; I really wish I could use the Bone Tool, though!

If you're interested in learning how to mesh, my advice would be to be prepared to encounter a lot of problems: new meshes that don't display, Body Shop crashes, exploding morphs... In other words, have patience. It takes a while to learn, but once you do, the possibilities for what you can make are pretty much endless.