Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#726 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 2:05 PM
Thank you, I really appreciate the budget
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#727 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 3:51 PM Last edited by gazania : 14th Mar 2018 at 4:22 PM.
Hmmm ... building a 3x3 hotel directly on a beach lot will be pretty much a no-go because of Freezy. I can flatten and shrink the lot easily enough ... even move the building back a little, but Freezy will still recognize the formerly-dipped area as an elevation drop and do the freezing thing. It's happened to me before, and it's a pain. So a cheaper hotel NEAR the beach it is!

Although ... I can try a hotel design I used before that Freezy rejected, but I'm not sure if the pest rejected it because of the beach lot config or if it's a situation Freezy just doesn't like in general. Maybe if I do the setup near a beach, it might work. I can do a mockup on the computer that DOESN'T have the good game on it (my other computer, which has a game I put on it for test purposes) and see if it will work at all.

The other option would be to make a swimmable lake. That was what people did before BV. But I don't generally use those lots anymore, and usually think of building something that I plan to put in my hoods. And ... oh .... I never did that. I used downloaded lots. I GUESS there's a first time and all that, but I'm not really that into it.

Or perhaps I'll leave the beach until the final round. Not quite sure what I can or am supposed to do there*, but I'll get to that when the round pops up. That leaves the mountain area.

*In my custom historical vacation hood, I put a garrison on a beach lot. The colonists needed a fort overlooking the sea and all that. So I guess it would be something like that?

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#728 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 5:05 PM
"cough" mountain would be good....
Lab Assistant
#729 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 5:10 PM
Hahaha I've been saving the country/mountain theme especially for this round. Thanks for posting so promptly, Gdayars! I'm out all day with my niece, nephew, and my partner, but I can't wait to get started when I can. I've also decided the lot is going to be residential. It just makes more sense to me that way.

Sims 2 Story|My Tumblr|Donate
See something of mine you like? Just ask, and I'll get you a link to the item you're looking for.
Mad Poster
#730 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 5:40 PM
It's Asian for me this round. I dreamt of creating a really complicated pagoda last night... dummy levels, fitting in stairs, diagonal pagoda roofing fails, etc... Maybe "dream" isn't quite the word I should use. LOL!

Thanks for the nice budget

BTW: The new water heater works great! Dishes are done, clothes are in doing now, and I'm freshly showered. It's amazing how important a water heater is! I doubt I could've survived back in the day without one (unless I was rich and had servants to fetch, boil, and carry!) Thank you again for your encouraging words {{{hugs everyone}}}

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Forum Resident
#731 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 6:17 PM
@CatherineTCJD oh no! you're doing Asian too? hahaha oh boy oh boy~ <3
I'm not gonna do anything complicated (if anything, they'll just be boxes of sorts) but im super excited to see your pagodas!
Top Secret Researcher
#732 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 7:49 PM
Ooh generous budget, thank you! I have an idea for this round. It'll be the next that I'll struggle with.
Mad Poster
#733 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 9:29 PM
Quick question here:
Can sims walk up a 'natural' 2-click incline?

LOL, Kanzen - Your landscaping will be gorgeous, I know it! My building will be complicated and weird... and yours will be gorgeous. *sigh*

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#734 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 9:36 PM Last edited by justJones : 14th Mar 2018 at 10:02 PM.
Yes, Cat. I have no stairs on my jungle rave lot, and they still walk to the hot springs. Sims can walk up an (up to) 4 click incline. I test roller coaster tracks by seeing if a sim can walk them start to finish, because they have to have no more than a 4 click incline. So I know they can most definitely do 2 click

Also, that really sucks about the water heater, glad your boxed stuff was able to be saved though!
Instructor
#735 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 9:45 PM
Thank you for the budget..but dang the lot size is so small..that's ok I will think of something.. lol
Mad Poster
#736 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 9:47 PM Last edited by gazania : 14th Mar 2018 at 11:18 PM.
I made a mock-up of the lot that Freezy initially rejected. The lot's pretty flexible ... change a few things around, and it could work in a mountain setting.

I was hoping to save the mountain one for last. It's my very favorite, and I might not be feeling as well by that round. Also, I can incorporate history better in the mountain hood, and can use it in my custom game. But we'll see.

Not too many hotel units fit on this lot (especially with my configuration), but I got 'em in there. I might scrap everything and do another hotel, but it's Freezy-proofed (three Sim-day test ...my most extreme Freezy test)! Yay! I put Freezy through the wringer (my Sim had a bladder issue), and I prevailed! I'm wondering if I should tempt fate by putting a bench in front of the bed for Sims to sit and enjoy TV. Yes ... Freezy actually was OK with the TVs in the rooms. Time to play the lottery. I was alarmed for a moment when Freezy refused to clean the lobby bathroom, but it might have helped for me to put a door in! Oops. Sorry, Freezy. I cursed you out for no reason.

I find the hotels work better when they're on the plain side, unless you REALLY know what you're doing. I'm way under budget, though. Need to pump up the deco a little.

Who was NOT Ok with everything was the NPC chef (Inge's mod). No matter what I tried, the chef would not serve anything. It might be a space issue. I know chefs can be fussy about that. Right now, I have a buffet in there, and since I don't have the endless buffet mod, my poor Sim keeps footing the bill. If the mod isn't global, I might use the modded table instead. And ... I see Exnem made customizable buffets. Those might work better. I don't know of too many Sims eating jello for breakfast.

Or ... does anyone know if this one works for AL? http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=237622

But I'm ecstatic that the place is Freezy-proofed! Even if I don't use it in this round, it will make a good addition to my hoods.

Mad Poster
#737 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:04 PM
I am also going to squeeze things a bit - since I do want to stick to my original idea, so now everything is going to have to be on a smaller scale. Less rooms, probably, but I may need to do less other things too. That is fine, I will take the opportunity to learn to build a small working hotel (I am going to ignore Freezy for now and hope she will behave as a proper housekeeper should. Pity she is such a mess, she is rather cute. Only EA will make a pretty Sim that is completely useless).
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#738 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:06 PM
Don't forget...it doesn't even have to be a hotel...

I'm thinking a big 8 sim cabin probably. Nice big, "family" rental. (Or a group of friends, whatever, lol)
Instructor
#739 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:08 PM
Well, I'll have to decide between a rural tourism hotel and a mountain lodge. I had ideas for both, however, given the small size of the lot, I might go the mountain route. This weekend I'll try them out and see what I get. Thanks for the generous budget, either way!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#740 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:24 PM
And here I am,building a futuristic house for my hood instead of being a play along...

Bad me :p
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#741 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 10:51 PM
I am thinking Moroccan hotel!

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
Mad Poster
#742 Old 14th Mar 2018 at 11:32 PM Last edited by gazania : 14th Mar 2018 at 11:44 PM.
This is my mock-up. For some reason, Freezy hated bungalows on my beach lot, and I could not figure out why. Freezy liked these. Go figure. So when I say "motels" or "hotels", I include bungalows and glamping yurts as well.

Again, it's a mock-up. Random palm trees do not landscaping make, and I have some good CC for motels on my other machine. One building had a slight overhang ... I wanted to see if I liked that instead of buildings without an overhang. I'm mixed on that one. And I'm not so keen on the main lobby building ... looks a little squished to me, and I really can't fix it, so I may go with another design. It may be a limitation I have to live with re the lot size, though. This will work fine as a main-hood motel in my game, though, with some fixes. Actually, if it's like the roller rink, a LOT of fixes. Right now, I'm just working on structure.

I like lots that are adaptable in my game. That is probably a fault of mine in contests like these. I want lots that can work and look OK in all terrains, with some fixing.

But the main thing is that Freezy does not get stuck anywhere. I kept Freezy on the run constantly! I can decorate and have fun from there, checking frequently to make sure Freezy is on the move. Also, other Sims check in within 12 hours or so. If other Sims do not check in, that generally means you've done something wrong. The bones work OK on this lot, but I need some more meat on them. What is amusing to me is that this lot doesn't have much CC, and half can be replaced by Maxis stuff.

Link Ninja
#743 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 1:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
I am so eager to start building the hotel. So while we are waiting on the budget revelation, let's have a party! For those of you who want to join @Charmful dancing on the bar counter, there are now 3 extra counters

I guess I had a little too much Long Islands...

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#744 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 1:51 AM
Oh - so the current countdown is for the judging time - how long after that do we have for the build? Did Gayars post that? Sorry - I'll look back a bit.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#745 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 2:12 AM Last edited by gazania : 15th Mar 2018 at 4:36 PM.
I'm actually having a little fun with the tiny bungalow lot. It may not look like much, but my Sims are comfy there and like it. And if no one gets stuck, that's a plus!

MaryLou's buffet table works fine, though my Sim still has to cough up cash (I'll make it up to you, Francis ... I promise!). As a plus, the housekeeper cleans it promptly. MaryLou must have coded it that way, since usually, your Sim has to get rid of the spoiled food. At least it worked that way on my mock-up lot. As a minus, the housekeeper cleans it a little TOO promptly, way before the food has time to spoil, but at least Francis doesn't have to clean it up and he can go socialize! I'll try Exnem's table as well ... see which one I like. The mod where you don't have to pay for food is a global, unfortunately.

Benches do NOT work in front of the bed. Freezy does not approve. So the Sim will either have to watch TV in bed or stand. Fortunately, Francis alternates.

Oh, and I roofed these buildings this time.

I might actually be able to try two designs and present each one. But I always seem to say that ....

Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#746 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 4:23 AM
it will be 2 weeks long @maxon once the judging time ends since we have one judge sick, and one judge with a family crisis, you might get a tad longer, depending on how the reports come in
Instructor
#747 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 4:33 AM
I forgot to ask..if I do a vacation home does it need to be on a community lot and they rent it..or on a residential lot and then someone buys it..
Mad Poster
#748 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 5:26 AM
Vacation homes have to be owned. If you want it to be a "rental" you'll need to make it a one-unit hotel.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Forum Resident
#749 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 6:39 AM
building a ryokan is trickier than I thought (and I already knew it would be tough)
welp! time to try another day :3c
Link Ninja
#750 Old 15th Mar 2018 at 6:49 AM
I got a decent start tonight on building a time share in Pandora.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Page 30 of 59