Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#176 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 2:22 PM
Yes, I was wondering that too - if it's particular types of meshes and/or the tool with which they were created. So far I've only made CAS items, no objects, and I package them all with the CTU, and none of them have had any problem showing up or functioning properly with WA. The only mods I've made are the animation script ones made with SmoothJazz, and they too work OK. I read somewhere that WA does change some of the core coding from the base game's, but not being knowledgable about that side of things, I didn't pick up on exactly what has been changed.

But seeing that S3OC and S3PE have just been updated to be compatible with WA, it will be interesting to see if re-creating the currently non-functioning packages with the updated versions of those tools will result in getting them working again - hope so!
Advertisement
Scholar
#177 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 2:26 PM
well you might have missed my update, ange ran those curtains through the updated S3OC and they now work. I have to go out right now but will try running a couple of mangosims things through it as I know they don't work. If they work, then we know we just have to update all our .packages in s3oc.

I haven't meshed either, that's why I used angie's curtains as I could get her to mess around with them if need be, she's a creator on my site and my friend. Working with each other will get this sorted out in no time. I think we might just have hit the nail on the head with this

I don't know much about dadoobs, but if delphy has updated that, we could do the same with hair
Mad Poster
#178 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 2:32 PM
Ah, yes, I did miss your update, as it was a minute after my post - it's great to see that that worked! Hooray!

DABOOBS should be OK - my hair meshes I mentioned previously that still work fine in WA, were created using that.
Scholar
#179 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 2:35 PM
Esmeralda, I just tried the mangosims tiny lavabo and it didn't work. I'll chat to ange and see what else she did. I only tried fixing the package in s3oc. I'm sure we're on to something here. Hopefully you can work along with us and we'll solve this as it's making me crazy
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#180 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 2:43 PM
What do you mean by running something through s3oc? If you just open a cc package and renumber it, that's not going to do anything helpful.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 4:19 PM
Default curtains now showing
I'll try one last time to post,

I re-did the whole package with a new clone from the new version. The creators of the package are going to have to update their packages I think.

Thanks Inge and Peter

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Scholar
#182 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 4:51 PM
Inge, I know that now but want to try anything I can, even stupid things to see if we can fix this.

The only other solution other people are coming up with is a sims3.pack converter. That won't work either. I have a lot of mangosims stuff and it comes in both .package and sims3.pack formats. The sims3.pack won't install, it says make sure you have the latest patch and I do already, so it's do do with the actual mesh rather than the format.

It's weird that paintings work and objects, etc aren't. It's not just about meshes either as I have paintings in there that ange made the mesh herself for, so new meshes. It seems to be only specific things. It could be that these onjects that don't work are cloned off specific game content that can't be cloned for use in this game. I don't know but I'm at least trying and not moaning about it

I'm just saying that converting to sims3.packs isn't a solution, but it's still a good idea to have both. But there you have mangosims stuff in sims3.pack and that won't install through the launcher either.
Lab Assistant
#183 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 4:54 PM
TSR news - TSR downloads are safe

Do any of the TSR objects not work in .package format. If the object does not work in .package has anybody tested whether the object form the original .sims3pack works.

(I still have not updated yet but I am going to tomorrow)
Scholar
#184 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 5:00 PM
Alien, I'm sure mangosims must use workshop to get the sims3.packs, no? So, no they don't all work. None of the mango sims stuff can be installed with the launcher, in sims3.pack format, I said that just above your post, read that.

I doubt that a different download site would make a difference
Lab Assistant
#185 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by fluttereyes
Alien, I'm sure mangosims must use workshop to get the sims3.packs, no? So, no they don't all work. None of the mango sims stuff can be installed with the launcher, in sims3.pack format, I said that just above your post, read that.

I doubt that a different download site would make a difference

I wouldn't assume anything at this stage. Also even if they do use it, it depends which version they have.

I think this is all getting a bit out of hand!

I can now see both sides point of view.

Sims3Pack
convienient to install using either the launcher or jfade's program
Enable CC to be uploaded with lots etc
Don't require the amateur to know about folders and resource.cfg files, etc.
Are endorsed by EA
Are (hopefully) future proof
Prevent lag in game

Package
Easy to sort into folders on HDD
Can have human readable filenames
Prevent CC from being uploaded with lots

Now something I don't get, what is the fuss over Digital Signing? If the TSR Workshop can make CC in Sims3Pack format surely anyone can?

Ultimately, in a an ideal world all sites would offer all content in both formats so we can use whichever we want.
Lab Assistant
#186 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 5:42 PM Last edited by *Laure* : 27th Nov 2009 at 6:36 PM.
Quote:
The only other solution other people are coming up with is a sims3.pack converter. That won't work either. I have a lot of mangosims stuff and it comes in both .package and sims3.pack formats. The sims3.pack won't install, it says make sure you have the latest patch and I do already, so it's do do with the actual mesh rather than the format.

I believe all the Mango Sims .sims3packs in their sets are recolors and may have been made in game and exported. The error you getting now is the one I originally (months ago) got when I tried to install their .sims3packs without without placing the mesh (which is in the .package format) in the mods>packages folder first.

eta: the quote I was responding too.
Scholar
#187 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 5:44 PM
Tickle, it's not that anyone is saying anything against the sims3.pack format and Inge has said she would look into adding that option. Myself, I'm just getting irritated by the constant tirade against .packages when a lot of us do like them and are getting some to work.

Ange and I would like to offer our stuff in both formats to give people the choice we need.

I have every painting I ever made in game now and all working with no lag.

My head hurts with this, I'm going out tonight

Laure, I didn't realise that. I don't know enough about meshing to know how that would work. What would be the purpose in them putting out sims 3.packs as well as .packages if that was the case. Would it not mean having to put the same item in twice then?
Lab Assistant
#188 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 5:54 PM Last edited by *Laure* : 27th Nov 2009 at 6:27 PM.
They're not the same item. She placed her mesh into the .package format and successfully installed it. Then she went in game and made recolors of it and exported them. The resulting recolors are in the sims3pack format.
Test Subject
#189 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 5:59 PM
I don't seem to have any problem with my CC & WA. I did have to cut out all of my skins and hacks though bc I found those were all causing problems with WA.
Scholar
#190 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 6:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ohsorisque
I don't seem to have any problem with my CC & WA. I did have to cut out all of my skins and hacks though bc I found those were all causing problems with WA.

If you had to cut out skins and hacks then you ARE having problems. Basic hacks seem to be ok, it's more the core ones that cause issues.

After about a half hour or so of having all my paintings in, the game freezes up when I go to fast forward till finished this action. I'm going to try and convert as much stuff as I can to sims3.packs. I just can't be bothered with this hassle anymore and I'd like to just play the game.

Inge, are you still thinking about a converter or adding the option to output sims3.packs to s3pe? I would prefer to keep using those programs if at all possible
Lab Assistant
#191 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 6:50 PM
Quote:

I doubt that a different download site

Looking at the creation dates of the mango sets that contain the .sims3packs, it unlikely they were made with TSR workshop. The publicly released Workshop didn't support object importation until recently.

I'm little confused about what is "wrong" with the mango sim files. I was aware that certain plant files and a shelf file were connected with "blue squares". Though, I didn't personally experience that problem. Have they or other mango files also been connected with the slowing down of the game? If so, I haven't experienced that connection. I did have a dramatic game slow down, but I haven't pinpointed the cause. I removed everything and have been putting things back slowly in hopes finding the cause.
Scholar
#192 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 7:02 PM
Laure, They just don't show up in the catalogue at all, it's like the game isn't reading them. Thanks for letting me know anout the recolour thing though, I had no clue about that. If they didn't use workshop, then what did they use to make the sims 3.pack?
Lab Assistant
#193 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 7:16 PM
Quote:
Laure, They just don't show up in the catalogue at all, it's like the game isn't reading them. Thanks for letting me know anout the recolour thing though, I had no clue about that. If they didn't use workshop, then what did they use to make the sims 3.pack?

The game puts recolors into a .sims3pack when you export a new color option (recolor).

I haven't put all of the mango things back yet, but so, I believe everything is showing up. Thinking back to went I first installed her earlier sets, I do believe that I noticed somethings did not appear until I loaded the game a second time. This may be a separate issue from the WA slow down. I also, have noticed that not all of her object are labeled as such in the catalog. Her little M logo is missing from several things making it a bit hard to find them. Good Luck.
Lab Assistant
#194 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 7:17 PM
Esmeralda. I started to think it was maybe just new meshes that were the problem so I put a painting in my friend Angie made and I had retextured, it worked fine. Then I put in her curtains but they wouldn't even show up, they did before WA. So that's that theory out the window.

I know most of Mango sims stuff has a problem, I even tried installing her sims3.packs but the launcher rejected them.

The only thing I can think to do now is add one or two things at time and if they don't show, ditch them.

I can't get my head round why some things work for some people and not for others. Would you be interested in trying something that doesn't work for me to see if it works for you? I could attach those curtains here if anyone wants to try them to see if it's an issue with particular .packages or if it varies. There has to be an answer to this.

I'll attach them if anyone who has stuff working would like to try them and see if they show in the catalogue for them.

Hi downloaded and tested the curtains. They work just fine for me. See images. WA running fine on my pc, but with very few package files. No lag or any thing weird, like blue lots etc.
Scholar
#195 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 7:22 PM
oumamea, those were likely the updated curtains she put up to test. They're nice that colour. Thanks for testing them for Ange
Lab Assistant
#196 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 8:11 PM
oumamea, those were likely the updated curtains she put up to test. They're nice that colour. Thanks for testing them for Ange

I downloaded from the link you had in your post #172 so I think is the old one. I just downloaded the updated package and will try it later tonight.

I hope all fellow simmers can sort out the problems they/we are having at the moment. I really miss some of the things I had in package format.

Most Sims3packs are fine on my pc, but I also get the same messages as you (Post 184) with Mango sims stuff and also with things that I got from Sims3D. My game is fully updated (to the latest patch) so I am not sure what is causing the launcher to say: Make sure you have the latest patch and try again.
Field Researcher
#197 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 8:11 PM
Food for thought - I was playing WA fine with both store items and .package files installed with no loading/game slowdown. I then decided to compressorize my .package files. Bam! Instant VERY slow loading and I had not changed a single piece of CC. Obviously I borked something, but I'm wondering out of those who are having problems with .package files and WA, who has compressed them?
The only benifit I see with sims 3 pack files is the little CC star. Oh how badly I wish my .package content had those stars. Twinkle, twinkle. :D

Grab more of my houses and sims @ LL30 & LJ
Random sim pics - Bits & BobsLivingSims
Scholar
#198 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 8:14 PM
oumamea, then that is interesting, two of us couldn't get those curtains to work yet you did. How can this be happening, how can one person use something and others can't?

beatdoc, I haven't compressorized any .package files
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#199 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 8:18 PM
One possibility is that disk fragmentation plays a role in this. When packages are installed as single files, they are likely splattered at random all over your disk, and so when they can no longer fit in RAM, disk thrashing results as it churns all over the place looking for them. When packages are jammed into a giant disorganized blob, your ability to keep it organized and have any idea what and where it *IS* goes totally to shit, but the computer can find it much faster. The solution would seem to be to not exceed the amount of RAM you have.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Lab Assistant
#200 Old 27th Nov 2009 at 8:19 PM
Default Testing Curtains
Thanks Oumamea for testing those but I wouldn't keep them in your game I've just realised although they work okay I've changed the mlod, modl and IMG's with the wrong version of S3pe, I realised when I went to change the defaults. They are not really finished and need editing. At least I know now that they work for WA.

I really must get in the habit of deleting the old version before I install the new one.

I myself prefer to create with what I am using now, although I will convert my stuff to Sims3packs so people have a choice. I'm quite sure a solution will be found for the packages.

Surely the Workshop will have to be updated everytime a new expansion come's out, who's to say that won't come across difficulties in the future. I myself still think it has alot to do with the actual WA expansion as peoples problems seem to vary, peoples computers vary, and lets face it EA are a bit misleading about what specs are needed for the game.

If at first you don't succeed, try and try again.
Thanks
Ange
Locked thread | Locked by: HystericalParoxysm Reason: Fixes found and made into FAQ - please make a new thread if you have further questions/issues.
Page 8 of 26