Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 9:30 AM
Default Loving a Hated Character?
Who else here loves a character widely hated by fans of whatever show he/she is part of?

For example, I really love Relena from Gundam Wing. I know everybody absolutely hates Relena, but I adore her. I like Sakuno from Prince of Tennis as well, everybody seems to hate her, too.

Who's a widely-hated anime character that you lover?
Advertisement
#2 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 12:45 PM
I like Relena from Gundam Wing too and I like Chibi-Usa from sailormoon. Fans aren't fond of them because of the horrible voices they get when dubbed and the fact dubbed versions seem to cut out all the good moments of the character.
#3 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 1:15 PM
Asuka from NGE. I thought she was a great character but everyone seems to really not like her.
Scholar
#4 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 4:23 PM
You like Releena?
#5 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 6:24 PM
I like Relena too.. and Chibi Usa is one of my favorite Salior Moon characters.. ^^* I like Amelia from Slayers, too.. Not a lot of people seem to like her..
#6 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Black_Barook!
You like Releena?

Yeah, on several episdes not shown in dub Relena shows redeeming qualities and isn't going crazy over Hiiro.
#7 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 3:40 AM
I always seem to go for either ambigous charecters of hated ones and I tend to hate the popular charecters
#8 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 2:51 PM
kyoya ootori of ouran high school host club. in real life i might not want to be near him but, after seeing his story why he's so sly and cunning, i actually wanted him to end up with the lead girl for one moment. orochi of naruto, he's the scariest villain i've seen and i suspect he's a sick pedo but, i have to admit, his skills in fighting are awesome. he won't stop at nothing to gain power.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 2:55 PM
The question is, how do you decide which are the hated characters?

We've gotten into some interesting arguments in the hall at my anime club about which characters are hate worthy and which aren't. At my first con I confused everybody by defending Ashitare while dressed as Nuriko (at a fan panel when one of the girls running it insisted on calling him Ashtray) but I wouldn't say I love him, just that I understand his perspective so can't hate him. And I know plenty of people who like, or at least don't dislike Relena (I'm neutral, only 'cause she interferes with mix-n-match). I think the only character I haven't seen fans for is Chibi-chibi.

Sorry, the idea of specific 'hated' characters has been bugging me since I saw this thread.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
#10 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 3:29 PM
the least popular character of an anime? not necessarily with you but with most people who watch it
Field Researcher
#11 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 4:19 PM
See, I would never have thought that Kyoya might be counted among the hated, 'cause everyone I know likes him. And personally, I so see a threesome developing there...

That's why I listed off stuff around more than just myself. It's easy to think a character is more hated than liked sometimes because the haters tend to be quite vocal, but if you look and listen carefully, almost every character who leaves a strong enough impression to be hate-able has just as many, if not more, people who like or are neutral towards them as they have detractors. The only possible exception to that that I have found is Chibi-chibi.

I wonder if Sephy-kun is still running his Evil Overlords Club.

"Segregate the sinful sexes..." "Wait, how many sexes are there?" "Two." "It's not enough I say, go out and order some more."
Scholar
#12 Old 7th Dec 2006 at 3:55 AM
Wait...dubbed versions?

I have the entire GundamWing CD and the Endless Waltze movie all in English. So are you telling me that they cut off some parts!? :handbag:
Test Subject
#13 Old 8th Dec 2006 at 10:55 PM
I like Téa Gardner (Anzu Mazaki) from Yu-gi-oh and Sakura Haruno from Naruto. It really irritates me when people say they don't like Téa because of her friendship speeches. If anything, Yami Yugi is more annoying with his constant "Heart of the cards" spiel. I'd love to have a friend like Téa. Sakura, now she is bothersome at the beginning but hey, she grows up. Which is more than I can say for some girls I know...
Field Researcher
#14 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 3:04 PM
*Looks to see if anyone has said Sasuke*

EEP! Sasuke!... meh, not the biggest fan.

Uhmmm... not really. XD Team Rocket are cool though! ^^
Looks like we're blasting off agaaaaain
Those were the good days.

Twitter | Tumblr | YouTube

28/11/07
Scholar
#15 Old 9th Dec 2006 at 4:04 PM
Wait, what about Harry Potter?

Though what are the hated characters. Everyone loves the bad guys: Draco, Snape, Voldy and so on....
#16 Old 19th Dec 2006 at 11:07 AM
Team Rocket's really the only one here. I forgot about them until I read Panique's post.
My anime club seems to have a tie. There'll be two of us who absolutely love a character, then two of the others will tease those characters mercilessly. L (Death Note) and Franz (Gankutsuou) get that a lot.
I would say Mello from Death Note, but I don't know how well he got along with other readers.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 8:48 AM
Well... I have a big soft spot for Spandam (from One Piece). I can't say I love this character (he's not in my top favorites list) but I like him.
As far as I know, almost everybody hates him because he's a scheming coward only thinking about himself. Yes, he really is like that but he's also very clumsy. That clumsiness and his overall behaviour made me like him. Almost all of the other main anime/manga villains are some sort of combat experts themselves but Spandam made an exception, he really is a coward and he knows it. Sometimes when other people think he should be tortured, I only think that he really needs a big hug.
#18 Old 29th May 2007 at 3:56 PM
I know I'm commenting on a very old thread, but this interested me.

;] Near, from Death Note. D: Everywhere I look, there tends to be people who just despise him because they say he's a jerk, but Light...well he's pretty much the same way. u_u; So I don't quite understand.
Test Subject
#19 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:45 AM
Hah, cherry XD

I was just going to say Mello of Death Note, he's more underappreciated than Near(who...I dont really like <.< I dont like Light either)
It's like a LOT of people hate him.
My favorite characters being Mello,L,and Matt =3
#20 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:52 AM
What? Really? I thought everyone liked Mello. I happen to adore him myself. [what a fashion sense! =D]

Near just barely beats him on my favorite's list (L being the top). :D
Forum Resident
#21 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 6:56 AM
I love Gin and Kenpachi... but everyone should love them, they are sexy! :P

I'm an old simmer who just can't seem to quit...
Test Subject
#22 Old 11th Jun 2007 at 9:15 PM
Everywhere I go, people all call Mello to girly or stupid(which he isn't)
So from what I see, not many people seem to like him. Except on a forum I go on, where there happens to be quite a few Mello fans. But Near dosn't have as many fans either. Usually when I go on youtube messages, or cruncyroll ones just to see what people say, everyone seems to want Near to win and wish the Mello dies. Meh.
And yes. Mello does have a great fashion sense ^w^
Test Subject
#23 Old 2nd Jul 2007 at 5:42 PM
A lot of people in a forum I go to dislike Rhode Camelot and Lavi one because she's incideously evil and the other because of things happening in recent chapters. (It would be a spoiler) But I love Lavi and Rhode!
Forum Resident
#24 Old 21st Jul 2007 at 9:06 PM
I'm on bleach exile and people seem to HATE Renji, But i think they are just being Playa Haters! XD Renji's hot and alot more awesome than people give him credit for, Kubo needs to give him his day!

I'm an old simmer who just can't seem to quit...
#25 Old 9th Sep 2007 at 9:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by foolinthemoon
I'm on bleach exile and people seem to HATE Renji, But i think they are just being Playa Haters! XD Renji's hot and alot more awesome than people give him credit for, Kubo needs to give him his day!

How could people hate Renji???in my opinion he's the hottest guy in Bleach (besides Ichigo o'course),its Byakuya they should really stomp,i find him dull and over-rated. :ducks from Byakuya Fangirls:
Page 1 of 3