Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 11:25 PM
Default Custom music question
I noticed that there's a custom music folder available so that we can install our own music into the game. The game guide is pretty obscure about the subject, so I was wondering how it works. Does the music play on the radios (I noticed that there is a "genre" field) or the game itself? Do I determine what genre it plays under by manually editing typing in one of the acceptable genre categories? I was hoping the guide would be more helpful, but it doesn't go into any detail at all...they should put out a Sims 3 for dummies book. I'd be all over that! Seriously, I pretty much need to be walked step by step and need lots of information when I'm messing with anything like that in my game. I'm so paranoid I'll screw it up.

Beware of Elves giving wedgies.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 12th Jun 2009 at 11:30 PM
If you put music and such in that folder, you can then turn on the stereos in game, and they'll play the music. It's pretty cool to move slightly to the right, outside of the house, and hear the muffled sounds of the music. :D

Occasionally insane, but always friendly.
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 12:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nic712
If you put music and such in that folder, you can then turn on the stereos in game, and they'll play the music. It's pretty cool to move slightly to the right, outside of the house, and hear the muffled sounds of the music. :D

Sweet! I always hated the cheesy music the stereos played...I much prefer my own music! Thanks!

Test Subject
#4 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 2:21 AM
:O That's so cool!
I was confused to see "custom" when you are picking their favorites in-game!
I'm glad I found this :]
Lab Assistant
#5 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 2:53 AM
sooo do you have to have a mp3 player in order to get the music in game?
I have itunes and it dinot show up. also where are the houses that you download? I dont see a bin for them.
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 4:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by yesme88
sooo do you have to have a mp3 player in order to get the music in game?
I have itunes and it dinot show up. also where are the houses that you download? I dont see a bin for them.

I just copied my mp3 files from my music folder (I have a shortcut on my desktop) and added them to my custom music folder (you find this in your documents file under "electronic arts" if you have vista...not sure where it is if you have windows, maybe the same). If you have a media player like Windows media player you should have a folder where your downloaded music files are stored. Make sure you copy them instead of just moving them or you won't have them to play in your media player (my friend learned this the hard way...she did the "click and drag thing" and had to put the mp3 files back in her music folder lol). It's so cool to be able to listen to Nightwish and Within Temptation on my sims' stereos (but I have to have it on the "custom" station or all I get is cheesy sims music).

In Itunes, just go to the "all artists" page that has the little tiles that have the names of the artists of the music in your media player and click on the individual tiles to get to the songs in the file. Right click on the songs listed that you want and copy them individually to your custom music folder and you should see the mp3 file show up in the music list. This is kind of tedious but it's well worth the effort when you play your game...at least I think so! I hope I didn't confuse you! I'm not good at explaining these kinds of things.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 5:12 AM
I wish you could delete the other music in the custom folder. When I try, it just comes back when I load the game ><. I also wish there was a "Next Song" option like in TS2, because none of my songs are playing... just the preloaded ones.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 6:29 AM
Ive been able to delete the stock custom songs without issue, a couple times, in fact, due to reinstall.

This last time I put them in a subdirectory, and they do not play. Don't know what to tell you.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 1:51 PM
The custom tunes included in that folder are normal mp3 files. I deleted them too with no problem.
Test Subject
#10 Old 13th Jun 2009 at 7:36 PM
I have on odd question.

Can't we have two "custom music" ?

I want to add one of Jazz and one of Folk, I placed them in separate folders in /custom music/ but it don't work.

Is there some way to do that ?
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 8:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ogma
I have on odd question.

I want to add one of Jazz and one of Folk, I placed them in separate folders in /custom music/ but it don't work.

Not yet. Another example of Sims3 being less functional than Sims2, iirc.
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:41 AM Last edited by WCF : 14th Jun 2009 at 9:55 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Shimrod101
The custom tunes included in that folder are normal mp3 files. I deleted them too with no problem.

That's really weird. Electronic Arts -> The Sims 3 -> Custom Music, right? I can delete them, but when the game hits the loading screen they all come right back. I put them in a subdirectory and now nothing plays at all (at least I managed to get those songs to stop playing...)! I assumed it was because some of my custom music files were off the iTunes store, but others are unprotected and the latest ones from the iTunes store are unprotected as well.

I wonder whats going on?

[EDIT] Ah well, I figured it out. Apparently only .mp3 files will work - not even the DRM-free iTunes stuff works. The preloaded custom music kept reappearing because, I'm assuming, it detected that there was no music there. So yeah... just for future reference.

If you were a Sim, would anybody want to play you?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 4:48 PM
I've heard that you have to delete the custom music from the program files > electronic arts > The Sims 3 > whatever folder it's in there to kill it permanently--at least until another update. I'm not sure how reliable that information is though.
Theorist
#14 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 9:02 PM
Can you put shortcuts to the files in the directories? I've got an awful lot more music on an external drive than I could ever fit easily on the internal drive where I install my programs.
Test Subject
#15 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nic712

Mine was named wrong it was supposed to be Megaloviana but the title is now spams of U
Test Subject
#16 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 12:45 AM
Your Errors
Quote: Originally posted by Ogma
I have on odd question.

Quote: Originally posted by eRogue
Not yet. Another example of Sims3 being less functional than Sims2, iirc.

You have to put them in the same folder
dodgy builder
#17 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 2:49 PM
2009? Is that the year I stopped using diapers?

Please read the forum rules before you necro old threads.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 1st Oct 2017 at 2:57 PM
And if you're going to necro the fookin' shit out of a thread, at least don't make the least useful comment I've read all month.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )