Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
Original Poster
#1 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:10 PM
Default How you can easily add sims to your Active Family
If you have testingcheatsenabled through your commands.ini file as instructed in other places in this forum and you have Rick's Debugenabler mod for Medieval installed, then you can use the shift key and use the right click mouse button at the same time on any sim and they will automatically be added to your active family. Here are 2 pics that I took in game to show it happened. The first pic is of the Rat King added to the family and the second are a couple of random sims that I added, one of them a child.

You can find my Sims 3 Mods at TFM's Sims Asylum .
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:40 PM
You don't even need the debug enabler, only TestingCheatsEnabled=1 is enough!

I have sucessfully played my spy in a quest and added his wife, who is the knight of my kingdom, and their two kids to the household

Best thing ist that while he was out doing his quests, she could gain xp as well because she had her daily responsibilities, although she was not an actor in the quest.

Plus the kids have a 'hidden' interaction (hidden meas there is no text, just a blank box in the pie menu) which is sparring. They spar with wooden swords. I saw two NPC kids do it once, and now I can have the brothers fight for the title of the best
Scholar
#3 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:47 PM
Wow! That's awesome! Definitely works better with married couples to add them that way, rather than have them live separately or something. Question - does the game save them that way, or would we have to re-add them when you go back into the game?

...Titanium white...
Test Subject
#4 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 6:48 PM
Oh wait, nevermind. Misread your post, I was doing the wrong thing..

But great, it should work. Thanks for posting about this. I knew there was a way, I just couldn't find an explanation. Should make the game much more enjoyable now.
Test Subject
#5 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 7:19 PM
OMG! That is indeed very awesome, THANK YOU! Thank you very much, omg, i'm so happy... :D
Inventor
Original Poster
#6 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 7:30 PM
You're all welcome! As soon as I finish my current quest, I plan on trying the next quest with my Bard again and see if the extra person I added will be with him again in a new quest. Maybe dear_dori already knows the answer though, Enjoji.

It's good to hear that adding your Heroes into the same families works and lets you skill up the extra one in it. I'll need to start marrying my Heroes together then. The guy I added permanently to keep (in first pic) doesn't have a job/role, but he can buy things for the family to keep and hunt/fish for food.

Lab Assistant
#7 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 7:50 PM
Yes, the sims you have added will remain active in the next quest!
Even if you select another primary hero.

On completion of your quest, the person(s) who was/were originally the active sim(s) will disappear from the row of active sims, the ones you added will remain. But I don't know if they can do anything, because in my test I went into kingdom mode quickly after the quest was complete. Once you have left play mode, you cannot return to play the sims you had in the quest, but have to chose a new quest as usually.
In the new quest, you will have the hero(es) assigned by the quest, plus these you have previously added.
Don't know how you can un-select them again yet.
Inventor
Original Poster
#8 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 8:18 PM
I just found out about the disappearing original Quest sim. My added sim remained, but the Hero disappeared out of the family. What I did was find the one that dropped out and shift-right clicked on them to add them back to the family and then I went to Kingdom mode and chose another quest for my bard. When it loaded up, both of the sims were still together as a family. So you can still have them stay together.

Lab Assistant
#9 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 8:52 PM
Yes that works!

You can also keep to play them after your original quest is over. The questing sim(s) will disappear, but you can re-ad him just as easyly as the other sims. You can thus continue playing with your family, continue to get XP and to do your daily responsibilities. Like in the feetime-quest with EnableRespos plus getting XP (which you don't after completing an ambition).

Only when you leave play mode and go into kingdom mode, you cannot return but must start a new quest (which will have the previously active sims in it as active).

But I still hav not found a way to undo this and make sims non-active again, what about you bluegenjutsu?
Inventor
Original Poster
#10 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:09 PM
I haven't tried to make them inactive. I didn't save before when I was testing if I could add random sims. I saved with the family I wanted to keep together. I'll try testing the next time I load the game. There is probably a way to do it, just like adding them.

Instructor
#11 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:16 PM
Hm..I tried to add some family to my heroe, and the game crashed a couple of times Not giving up, I succesfully added a wife to my Blacksmith. But she does not show up as an icon like in the pics shown in this thread , and I cant choose her to play. She is added to his family in the relationships-box, though.

edit: ah, wait..I didnt right-click, I used the interaction on the menu "add to family". Is there a difference?

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Test Subject
#12 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:26 PM
So once you add them, there's no way to get rid of them?
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:41 PM
None that I know of so far, except starting a new ambition - or kill them
Lab Assistant
#14 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 9:43 PM
To get rid of them you right click them while holding shift the same way ypu added them I figured this all out yesterday,,,,,lol
Inventor
Original Poster
#15 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 11:47 PM
Thanks katierose! I haven't played the game again yet to test it, but I figured there was some way to take them off. That makes it easier to remember.

@sayyadina, try it with the the shift key and right clicking and see if there is a difference. I believe there is, because I remember trying it through the menu option before and not getting it to work right for me. But the way I posted is a faster way to get it done, none the less.

Lab Assistant
#16 Old 29th Mar 2011 at 11:56 PM
thanks for finding and confirming this guys.
i was curious about it myself but hadn't gotten around to trying it yet.
Lab Assistant
#17 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 12:12 AM
Thank you, it works! The reason why I could not figure it out myself is because you have to shift-rightclick on the actual sim, the thumbnail in the relationships is not enough -.- sometimes there seems to be some kind of barrier in my brain which stops me from having the simplest ideas
Test Subject
#18 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 12:15 AM
It is the magnificent help. I have given from loneliness.
Inventor
Original Poster
#19 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 12:15 AM
Yeah, clicking on the thumbnail in the relationships panel though, is how I found the guy I wanted to add to my family. It will zoom to them. So that came in handy.

Inventor
#20 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 1:27 PM
But what can added Sims actually do?

As far as I know, my blacksmith's wife can:

- have all the normal interactions with other Sims
- do things at home (cook, brew ...)
- take care of the baby (yeah, I know)
- go to the shoppe and buy/sell
- stroll in the woods
- play that proto-tennis thingie

She can't:

- collect anything, not even wildflowers
- fish
- interact with any work/quest related objects

So basically, anything a NPC can or can't do. Anything I missed?
Instructor
#21 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 2:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegenjutsu

@sayyadina, try it with the the shift key and right clicking and see if there is a difference. I believe there is, because I remember trying it through the menu option before and not getting it to work right for me. But the way I posted is a faster way to get it done, none the less.

Thanks, Ill do that

"The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory. "
Test Subject
#22 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 5:16 PM
omg thank you! I really wanted to change my princess' outfit and now I finally took her out of her peasant garb and gave her a proper dress. saawweee!
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bluegenjutsu
Thanks katierose! I haven't played the game again yet to test it, but I figured there was some way to take them off. That makes it easier to remember.

Your wecome....I kinda stumbled on the whole thing by mistake....I was happy to help....My children look much better. Also learned ou can only have 4 sims in a group
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 9:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pico22
But what can added Sims actually do?

As far as I know, my blacksmith's wife can:

- have all the normal interactions with other Sims
- do things at home (cook, brew ...)
- take care of the baby (yeah, I know)
- go to the shoppe and buy/sell
- stroll in the woods
- play that proto-tennis thingie

She can't:

- collect anything, not even wildflowers
- fish
- interact with any work/quest related objects

So basically, anything a NPC can or can't do. Anything I missed?

Not much. I found out that if you add a hero, say the blacksmith, to you active household, he can perform actions on objects related to his profession, but only like he would as an NPC. So the blacksmith can forge something, but you don't have any control over the single steps like when to reheat, when to hammer.
Inventor
Original Poster
#25 Old 30th Mar 2011 at 10:17 PM
The extra non-heroes can hunt, or at least the one I added (the Rat King) can. I haven't tried to see if he could fish yet.

What I find convenient is the hunting, cooking, making the wine/ale, socializing (there are buffs that come from socials) and to keep other sims occupied until my Hero needs to get something or do something with them. For the Doctor Heroes, patients will take off if you don't stop them after the diagnosis, but with a helper, you could have them immediately start talking to them so that your Doctor can get to the Operating Table. This is just one example where they can help with a quest or responsibilities.

Page 1 of 3