Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 6:59 PM
Default How can I mod the hair?
I've not seen a thread about hair yet and I'm surprised by that, because there's not nearly enough young adult/adult male hairstyles in this game, and I can't find out how to mod them.

Does anyone know how to? Please explain.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 7:29 PM
There are no meshes being made yet, noones worked out how. The game's only been out a week or so!

...although I do agree, the male hairstyles are pretty terrible.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:41 PM
I realize that the game's only been out for a bit, but in Sims 2 it wasn't too hard to do. Maybe I can somehow transfer hairstyles from another gender to the male hairstyles?
Test Subject
#4 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:46 PM
I'd like to see combined hairstyles as well.. Theres so many Short Hair's for the females that could be combined with the longer hairs, so that your sim could have long hair with cute bangs and stuff.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:46 PM
Currently, the tools to make new hairstyles are not yet available. Wes has worked on some plugins for Milkshape, but the program itself will need an update from its creator before it will be possible to create hairs in MS. And then of course, there's all the file formats and suchlike that have to be figured out, and how to make a hair unique, and so forth. Hair is one of the most complicated things one can do in TS2 and it looks like that's carried over in TS3. Just be patient - I know I'll be right on it as soon as it's possible.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
#6 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:47 PM
Maybe you or someone else with more skills than me could download a hair style from the Sims 3 store, crack it open and see the coding for it since everything in it should pertain to adding a hair style to the game. The only thing is, is that they are not .package files but are .Sims3Pack files. I know it can be done. I've read someone somewhere talking about looking at the Prius download.
retired moderator
#7 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 8:58 PM
Heh, yes, we know that, Lord Rizen. That's likely the way it'll be figured out, but there's TONS of resources in those and they have to work together. Work is being done on it, but it will take time - and a lot of the problem is having the tools to create the meshes themselves.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 11:14 PM
As long as their working on it I'm content.
Until the time comes, I'll stick with making Sims 2 stuff. =D
Field Researcher
#9 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 11:38 PM
It IS possible to mod hair. Not the way you are thinking, but you can replace the textures.

Whee.
Test Subject
#10 Old 15th Jun 2009 at 11:53 PM
I'm expierienced with 3dsMax, i've made static meshes and some vehicle models for Unreal Tournament.. But really, im not gonna make a mesh unless i know how the Sims3 likes it's meshes prepared.. It'd be like, feeding a fish a tuna sandwich.. o.O
retired moderator
#11 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 12:01 AM
Many fish are carnivorous. I'm sure some of them would love a tuna sandwich.

Test Subject
#12 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 2:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Many fish are carnivorous. I'm sure some of them would love a tuna sandwich.

I can't feed him Tuna! That'd make me an Abomination!
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 3:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VICIOUS713
I'm expierienced with 3dsMax, i've made static meshes and some vehicle models for Unreal Tournament.. But really, im not gonna make a mesh unless i know how the Sims3 likes it's meshes prepared.. It'd be like, feeding a fish a tuna sandwich.. o.O

Thats only if there will be an im/exporter for 3ds.
Eminence Grise
#14 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 6:28 AM
I just learned today that there's a male body parts mod out at KillerSims.com... haven't tried it, but assuming it's for real, it's (another) piece of evidence that mesh modding is alive and well in Sims 3. Course, that's a mesh replacement, like the boob mod here, which is a different matter from adding entries into CAS.
Test Subject
#15 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 7:37 AM
thats another thing, won't making a coat or something have to be made with the sims' Fat slider in mind?

Also, the guy that made the mesh is DBCAB..
Lab Assistant
#16 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 5:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
Course, that's a mesh replacement, like the boob mod here, which is a different matter from adding entries into CAS.

Boob Mod? Is there one or are you refering to the couple of bikini tops that were altered?

Just to put this info out there though, alot of us don't mind replacing meshes to have some mods to play with, like skins etc. I know part of the problem is figuring out how to "add" meshes without replacing defaults. Since this is the early days of Sims3 modding I am sure alot of us out there don't mind replacing if anyone out there wants to try thier hand at more skins etc.

I was never really into modifying the body but I sure did love the sims2 skins and how they could enhance the breasts, stomach, definition etc.
Test Subject
#17 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 8:46 PM
I'm confused as to why they didn't add a completely balled option. Is there a way to mod that?

Check out my Gaming Site!
http://www.petreak.com/
retired moderator
#18 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 9:28 PM
Petreak - If you mean "bald" not "balled" - use the buzz cut hair and set the hair colour to the same as skin.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 16th Jun 2009 at 10:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
Petreak - If you mean "bald" not "balled" - use the buzz cut hair and set the hair colour to the same as skin.

I sure hope he meant "bald".
Test Subject
#20 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 7:19 AM
A thought, is it possible to take the hair of one gender and add it to the other? There's a really sweet female short hair option that's just begging to be put onto a guy.
retired moderator
#21 Old 25th Jun 2009 at 7:35 AM
Unfortunately, as in TS2, the hairlines on males and females aren't in exactly the same place, so the mesh would have to be edited to make a gender conversion work, and currently we don't yet know how to make non-default hairs.