Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
Original Poster
#1 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 5:10 PM
Default Should I buy the sims 4 or not
Okay guys. So I've been playing the sims 3,2 & 1 for awhile now. And of course when I play sims 3 the launcher pop's up advertising for the latest Sims 4 expansion pack or stuff pack. And I have to admit the advertisements are starting to wear me down. Luckily I'm currently broke, so it will be awhile before I can actually purchase the game or any expansion/ stuff packs.
Just to note I mostly enjoy building, and I would be tempted to purchase as many expansion and stuff packs as I could that interest me.

So lets hear it pros and cons of the game.

Thanks for the help!
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 5:14 PM
Oh, my! This is something that you need to decide yourself. There are years worth of information available to you to make your decision. There are videos and there are many reviews such as the ones that are the ones done by Clint and others. The pros and cons of this game have been beaten into the ground already. Do some research and you can choose what to do.

Our opinions do not matter. Each of us has to decide depending on what we want from the game. What looks good and what are deal breakers.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 6:19 PM
Try out the free trial (48 hours) version too.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 6:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ruffdog24
Okay guys. So I've been playing the sims 3,2 & 1 for awhile now. And of course when I play sims 3 the launcher pop's up advertising for the latest Sims 4 expansion pack or stuff pack. And I have to admit the advertisements are starting to wear me down. Luckily I'm currently broke, so it will be awhile before I can actually purchase the game or any expansion/ stuff packs.
Just to note I mostly enjoy building, and I would be tempted to purchase as many expansion and stuff packs as I could that interest me.

So lets hear it pros and cons of the game.

Thanks for the help!

If your love for the sims is the building portion of the gameplay...then as a fellow builder I would advise you to NOT waste your money on TS4. They have "dumbed down" the building portion of the game so significantly that being creative is mind numbing. No color wheel, no landscaping tools, tons of limitations even with some EP's, SP's, and GP's added. I never made it past the last backyard stuff pack and uninstalled it. Save your money for something else that truly engages your building needs. If you are into city building, I would like to suggest City Skylines. That game will fulfill all your building needs for hours upon hours. For individual house building, I would recommend that you just stick with TS2 or TS3. TS4 is a waste of hard drive space and money down the drain.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 6:46 PM
I like a few of the build features in 4, such as being able to move the windows and lights up and down, being able to move the whole house, etc. I like having the search option. But I still love building in 3 and prefer it over 4 for sure. Overall there is so much more we can do there. As thevogel says they dumbed it down a lot. There are good things but so much that was better in 3 is gone.
Field Researcher
#6 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 9:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by daisylee
I like a few of the build features in 4, such as being able to move the windows and lights up and down, being able to move the whole house, etc. I like having the search option. But I still love building in 3 and prefer it over 4 for sure. Overall there is so much more we can do there. As thevogel says they dumbed it down a lot. There are good things but so much that was better in 3 is gone.

Yes, I agree. The few little things they added, like being able to adjust the window placement...it's just not enough. The building is just so limited. I would not suggest TS4 to any builder.
Test Subject
#7 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 9:02 PM
The building aspect is definately the strongest point that Sims 4 has.
That's not to say that it has the best building abilites in the franchise; just that it's the thing this game is best at. I've found myself enjoying building and decorating things in this game a fair amount, but the actual gameplay is not nearly as investing. At least not for me. Nothing really has any weight to it and you have to move the story a lot more yourself then having the story play out before you with you shaping it.
It does have a few neat functions that I now miss when building in TS3, I'll give it that.
One thing I would definately advise is to not get the game at full price but wait for a sale. I enjoy it enough to not regret my purchase, but it's definately not worth the full price in my book.
Scholar
#8 Old 31st Jan 2018 at 11:41 PM
TS4 is more convenient to build in imo. It has some nice tools for that. I really would like to have those in TS3. But at the same time it is also a lot more limited then TS3 building. To take advantage of all possibilities in TS3 though, you have to learn tricks from guides. But for a builder I can't imagine someone would chose TS4 over TS3. (Unless your TS3 runs like a slug and you are done with its poor performance. Still, I would look for ways to fix that instead).

TS4:
- Easier to build in and more tools for convenience.
- Everything is as flat as a pancake

TS3:
- A lot more options (CASt, terrain sculpting, ponds,many user invented tricks to create things never intended but look awesome I tell you!)
- Can sculpt and build complete new worlds if you like.
- More difficult to master because of all the possible tricks.
- CASt during building will annoy you at some point when it slows everything down to a crawl (temp fix, enable live mode and go back into building again).

Tip : Compare featured lots for TS3/4 on this website.
Instructor
#9 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 3:02 AM
Don't buy it, it's a trap.
Scholar
#10 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 1:16 PM
While I have a gut feeling that this is TS4 final year, buying it at full price, no way, and if you want everything you be paying around $500+ for a game that could be obsolete in under a year.

Good discount prices? go for it, it has great build options in conjunction with the gallery with millions of styled rooms to choose from.
Space Pony
Original Poster
#11 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 6:03 PM
See that's what I need, you guys to talk me out of it at least until it's had it's run.
Thanks!
Scholar
#12 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 8:11 PM Last edited by aparkison : 1st Feb 2018 at 8:45 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
While I have a gut feeling that this is TS4 final year, buying it at full price, no way, and if you want everything you be paying around $500+ for a game that could be obsolete in under a year.

Good discount prices? go for it, it has great build options in conjunction with the gallery with millions of styled rooms to choose from.

Obsolete? Seriously? I don't think so. There are people still playing Sims 2 that have never even tried Sims 3. Granted, the gameplay is better, obviously, in many ways - but, look how dated the tech is and the looks. Still, it has a huge following. And the same can be said for the diehards who will defend Sims 3 no matter what the opposing argument to it.

I'm not arguing for paying full price by any means, because I don't unless I really want something for my game, but the argument it will be obsolete in under a year is laughable. EA is thrilled with the performance of Sims 4 right now. If you read the articles about their recent stockholder conference call, it's all high praise for the growth of Sims 4 and especially for the sales of Cats and Dogs.

We don't see it here, but there is a huge community on the internet of people who really do love Sims 4, warts and all, and do some really amazing things with it despite the limitations compared to Sims 2 and Sims 3. There's no way you can get me to believe Sims 4 is ending this year. Right now there's a poll on the official forums about when people expect Sims 4 to end, and most people are guessing 2020, while some believe it could go on longer since it's being run as a live service. While I doubt the stability of Sims 4's engine, I would not be surprised in the least if this iteration goes on for much longer than the previous two.
Alchemist
#13 Old 1st Feb 2018 at 11:54 PM
I'm not sure if Origin is having a worldwide sale, but TS4 is only $10 in the US right now. It's worth getting at that price.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 2nd Feb 2018 at 1:56 AM
I have all for 4 except the laundry stuff. While I vastly prefer 3 I feel I have gotten my money's worth. Look at the price of a movie, soda and popcorn for example that lasts 2 hours. I have only played 4 700 some hours but if you figure the cost per hour it is darn low. IMO you/we cannot really judge it unless we try it. I have enjoyed 4 for the most part when actually playing it. My biggest issue is that it does not hold my attention like the prior versions did. When a new EP comes out I play a few weeks or off and on for about a month...... then I am gone again.