Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 1:18 AM
Default "Expansion pack required" - I need some help
Hey guys! I'd like to hear if anyone can help me. I run Sims 2 on a Mac and I've got nearly all of the EP's for Mac, except for Bon Voyage. I recently made four families on my girlfriend's game on a PC featuring ALL EP's, but I specifically used clothing and hair and everything included in my version of the game, and tried to bring them into my game on their small, empty lots. But the installer is still telling me I need expansion pack data, although I really went out of my way to avoid any content I do not have myself. The two programs recommended on the site don't seem to work for Mac, what can I do?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 1:31 AM
You will need the exact same expansions as your friend in order to use stuff from her game and install it into your game, it's to do with the expansion pack data or something-a-rather, so regardless of wether or not you used only specific items which you have in your game, you will still require the same packs that have been installed on the computer where the original items are from, if that makes sense?
Site Helper
#3 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 4:04 AM
The internal file structure of a lot package changes with each EP. Older EPs just can't recognize the format used by a newer EP, so the lots tend to crash the game.

It's sort of like sticking a DVD into an old floppy drive. The floppy drive has no idea how to handle a DVD.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:28 AM
So there is no way at all for me to transfer families from her game into mine?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#5 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:31 AM
If they're full families - i.e. done on a lot, then there's no way around it. They need those EPs. If they're just the sims, saved in Body Shop as sims2pack files so that you can access them in Create-a-Sim, you'd have to be able to use Clean Installer to get around the error message for them.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:46 AM
Okay, I see. And what if I tried locating them in the actual neighbourhood folder and placing them in the neighbourhood folder I want them to go?

Lie so: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...11151015AAZmCte
retired moderator
#7 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 11:57 AM
No, if they're already made as a family and not a sims2pack of just the sim data, that's probably not going to work.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Site Helper
#8 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 5:51 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 22nd Sep 2011 at 6:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by Jelboo
Okay, I see. And what if I tried locating them in the actual neighbourhood folder and placing them in the neighbourhood folder I want them to go?

Lie so: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...11151015AAZmCte
Those instructions are for the original Sims 1 and won't work for Sims 2.

Have you seen this tutorial?
http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title...elp:Moving_Sims

If your friend still has your families on their computer, then you should try having them extract your sims using SimPE.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 6:29 PM
I am aware of all these options, but us poor Mac users sadly can't use those programs like…

Sorry if I sound a bit grumpy, it's just that I'd really like these families in my game and I'm getting desperate.

EDIT: Oh, wait! I'm sorry, I get it now. So I should download SimPE on the other computer, right? What exactly do I do then?
retired moderator
#10 Old 22nd Sep 2011 at 6:38 PM
There are various ways to use Windows programs on a Mac. I'm not a Mac user, but I'm certainly aware there are options out there. Sounds like time to look into 'em.