Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:17 AM
Default The Sims 4 Custom Content???
There's been a lot of ranting on the overall look of our sims in the upcoming game. People are complaining mostly about how the hair looks horrible and cartoon like. Though, the look of the sims 4 is suppose to take on a cartoon-like look, fans like the realistic side of the sims, in my opinion. To create realistic sims, we usually just download a crap ton of CC (custom content) in order to fulfill our fantasies of having life-like sims. I've taken an image from some recent releases of the sims 4 gameplay and added some custom content from the sims 3 on the character just to mess around and see what they MIGHT look like.
Screenshot from the sims 4 release:

Sims 3 hair:

Sims 3 hair with Sims 4 face on:

Sims 4 face with sims 3 hair/makeup:

Of course this is all theory but I think it gives a pretty good rough visual of how our upcoming sims will look with CC.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 2:43 AM
Wow, the Sim looks much more realistic with hair, it might just be me though!
One Minute Ninja'd
#3 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:38 AM
Well, the sim also looks better with some makeup on her. So the question is, will we be able to have custom makeup and hair so we can make our sims look the way we want them to, not necessarily the way EA designed a generic sim to look?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 3:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Well, the sim also looks better with some makeup on her. So the question is, will we be able to have custom makeup and hair so we can make our sims look the way we want them to, not necessarily the way EA designed a generic sim to look?

Hopefully. I don't see why EA would restrict us on creativity that they've already given us in past games. If there's no CC available then I think I'm done aha but I do agree with you!
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#5 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 4:56 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1534351
Hopefully. I don't see why EA would restrict us on creativity that they've already given us in past games.
Well, they have already taken away plenty of stuff that we used to have. And the main reason why they wouldn't want CC is because they get Zero money from it. I'm not saying that someone won't be able to figure out how to mod the game fairly quickly, but look at it this way: The Sims 2 had Bodyshop, a feature that allowed players to create their own stuff. The Sims 3 had....nothing. It was up to the players to figure it out themselves.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 5:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims
Well, they have already taken away plenty of stuff that we used to have. And the main reason why they wouldn't want CC is because they get Zero money from it. I'm not saying that someone won't be able to figure out how to mod the game fairly quickly, but look at it this way: The Sims 2 had Bodyshop, a feature that allowed players to create their own stuff. The Sims 3 had....nothing. It was up to the players to figure it out themselves.

Whoa, great point! I never really noticed that. Do you really think they'd restrict us though? The sims community is full of creators with a clear vision of sims, houses, etc. I figure that regardless, we'll somehow find a way. If they block all loop holes then that'll be so selfish that I'm sure they'll lose a lot of players, which would drop the amount they make even more.
Eminence Grise
#7 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 6:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by 1534351
Hopefully. I don't see why EA would restrict us on creativity that they've already given us in past games.

... Huh? EA has not given us CC (unless you include packaging sims and lots, and CAP and CAW for TS3). The tools for making custom hairs, makeup, skin, clothes etc etc etc were produced by the sims modding community in SPITE of EA, not BECAUSE of them.

Yes, I am aware that there is a rumor that EA leaked to the community the basic method for getting the game to recognize a player mod... but all the rest of the work, including deciphering of obscure file formats and writing programs to manipulate those files, was done by our great mod tool makers. Take a look at this if you want to be impressed by what they figured out: http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php...oding_Tutorials

So, will there be CC? Yes. Will EA have anything to do with it, either to help or to hinder? Unlikely We can hope they don't actively get in the way, since they haven't in the past (and the dev community seems to be generally modder-friendly, based on comments by Graham and others who are working on TS4).

It's possible they'll make a sharp U-turn in the OTHER direction, and provide us with new and more powerful tools than we ever had before... i.e. EA-provided tools for hair and clothes, and maybe even a user-friendly scripting language to modify gameplay. I would be surprised, but I don't think it's essential We've been managing fine without that.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 7:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ButchSims

I would think that EA would want the sales of modders obtaining the game just to figure out the code. Either the modder bought it or someone else gave it to them, it's a sale either way.

Just a thought, it's late and I might be posting out my neck right now.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Inventor
#9 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 7:37 AM
Q: Are we still allowed to use cc in the game
A: We are not doing anything to prevent it.

That's from the QA session from the German event and I had a good long talk with SimGuruJill about the topic. They might not give us the tools but I do hope we get more support for it than Sims 3 has.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by crinrict

YEEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!
Now all we need to do is find out about CASt...
Inventor
#11 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 7:21 PM
What do you need to found out about CASt ? It's not in there atm, just a few color options which they WILL expand. They said they did hear us about CASt so we can only hope that they add it to both CAS and Buy/Build mode.
Eminence Grise
#12 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:25 PM

Any idea if they're keeping C# as the script language? Or did you find out any other details about file formats and/or coding?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#13 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 8:32 PM
I don't think it will be C# that we would be modding in. They have created a new engine called SmartSim. I would guess it will take either a scripting language or some sort of data that is output by a dedicated tool - similar to when we had BHAVs which were the raw data output by Edith. The engine itself may be written in C# but I doubt we'd be wanting to mod the engine.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
One Minute Ninja'd
#14 Old 25th Aug 2013 at 9:07 PM Last edited by eskie227 : 25th Aug 2013 at 9:21 PM.

That's from the QA session from the German event and I had a good long talk with SimGuruJill about the topic. They might not give us the tools but I do hope we get more support for it than Sims 3 has.

I do hope you're right, but "doing nothing to prevent it" is a far cry from providing any form of support.

I also hope that they stick with the xml tuning for behaviors, as it made it far easier to tweak the game to individual preferences. Even idiots like me can adjust behaviors in 3 that are personally bothersome, and there are lots of tuning modders in the community who share some nicely creative work with us. If we need to work in C# for adjusting behaviors, many tuning modders might feel it not worth the effort to pursue. I'm not so keen on firing up Visual Studio Express just to turn off some overemphasized behavior.

And one thing EA is known for, it's overemphasizing new features and behavior. Like the way when we got pillow fighting, our sims wanted to pillow fight every freaking sim they ever met after saying hello. Or how the new attraction system, left to its own devices, had my sim getting called up for a date by her ex-husband's mother. I can already tell that suicide inducing violin will need some retuning before my entire world drinks the Kool Aid just because I like my sim to play with a violin instead of a guitar once in a while.

Of course, we still need talented scripting modders to support 4 if it's feasible, as more complex mods do require their depth of expertise. And for me to even consider moving on to 4, that ability is an absolute requirement. If it's too hard to mod, it's not going on my machine. That, and some core features like design utilities at least as good as the now ~5 year old CAST tool, and some type of CAW tool for the talented world creators. There's no way EA can produce the sheer number of worlds with the rich variety that the talented community of world builders now creates for our benefit.

And for core mods, well, it's Pescado's show for now.

EDIT: Oops, missed Inge's statement (I really need to read to the end of a thread before replying to an earlier post). Well, assuming we can obtain access to the tool used, or can reverse engineer a tool to output SmartSim, we might be alright. I guess. Which is the problem. We shouldn't have to guess. EA should be involving the community in getting up to speed on what will be available, and what will be required. They'll pay lip service to the positive effect custom content and mods can have on the game, but they sure don't seem to be reaching out on this issue right now. Which is really when they should be, as it would reassure a lot of players like me who won't consider this for purchase, let alone a pre-order, until the information is known.
Test Subject
#15 Old 4th May 2014 at 3:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TMBrandon
Wow, the Sim looks much more realistic with hair, it might just be me though!

I think that the sim looks better but not all that realistic
Forum Resident
#16 Old 4th May 2014 at 3:31 PM
I can't see the realism here. Personally I don't want too much realism since the reason I play the Sims games is to forget about real life for a bit.. Saying that you did a pretty good job at putting the cc hair with a Sim of a very different art style, it doesn't look out of place like I though it would have.
Test Subject
#17 Old 4th May 2014 at 5:09 PM
Am I allone to think that Sims 4 faces look like cartoons ? The Sims 3 are more realistic.
Test Subject
#18 Old 14th May 2014 at 6:40 PM
I think it was easier to figure out how to mod the sims 3 to the point they didnt need the body shop, and in the beginning of doing the sims 3, they said they WANTED people to be able to mod and make custom content for it, Im sure they arent going to disappoint. This time they seem to mostly focus on making sims that look like people you know, and custom content helps with that perfectly. The developers know a lot of people only get the game to mod, so Im pretty sure they wouldnt take that away.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 14th May 2014 at 9:19 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsgaga3
Am I allone to think that Sims 4 faces look like cartoons ? The Sims 3 are more realistic.

Without custom content, do you really think the Sims 3 sims are more realistic? I'd say they seem about the same level of cartoony, except less pudding in the new ones.
Test Subject
#20 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 6:53 PM
I totally agree with everyone in this thread, I don't think custom content will make them more realistic, but I am excited about the skin and eye creators out there. I love custom skins! I think this game has a lot of possibility, I have preordered it, I got the CAS demo, and so far it is absolutley AMAZING! I love my sims to look slightly cartoony slightly realistic.
Field Researcher
#21 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 6:59 PM
I didn't like the way the hair looked when I first saw it. The video quality must have been crap cause it looks awesome in-game.

The sims in general look great. Golden star to Maxis for that.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 7:17 PM
I don't necessarily hate the way Sims 4 look so far, realistic CC or not, but without seeing how much is lost between CAS and the game itself, I can't make any real judgements.
I've been burned too many times in Sims 3 with a great-looking CAS sim that turned into a blob with no texture or detail when I dropped it into the actual game.
Eminence Grise
#23 Old 9th Aug 2014 at 11:00 PM
Wow, this is a necro of a year old thread

To sum up the current state of affairs with respect to CC, 2 big developments over the last month or so: a) the devs have promised to release technical documentation on file formats etc to mod tool creators, which they've never done before, and b) even without that, we already have workable (and steadily improving) mod tools for the demo, so by release things should be looking pretty good. With the retirement of some of the older generation of tool makers, there is room for new people though... will definitely be needing more folks to step up

With the docs, the development of more sophisticated types of mods like script mods should take weeks not months. (And to answer my own question from last year, the script language is now Python rather than C#.)

So yeah. Things are looking rosy for TS4 modding of ALL kinds. Of course (as I've mentioned in other threads) there WILL be some stuff that can't be modded because of engine architecture, so don't expect mods to "fix" EVERYTHING you might see as a problem
Lab Assistant
#24 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 9:53 PM
So I see ppl have been creating cc for ts4 demo, so how do you download it?

What is a beginner to do? My Website My TOT My Forum My website
Field Researcher
#25 Old 16th Aug 2014 at 10:45 PM
in some ways they look better just more animated,yeah less like pudding.I like the style of animation, i just feel it was kind of a weird step sideways(not back) with the sims. also i don't think they could have improved much from sim3 unless it was like Console game cut scene cinematic quality.now that i think about it i guess they created a good balance of realistic and cartoony.
Locked thread | Locked by: leefish Reason: old
Page 1 of 2