Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#26 Old 3rd Jan 2018 at 7:10 PM
You prevent that keyqueen by making your objects.package read only. Actually, you prevent a lot of problems by making your objects.package read only.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#27 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 4:29 AM
For me, The Sims 2 has been remarkably durable. I've never corrupted the game before (And in fact made all the core game files read-only; look under the "Make all game files read-only" section on this page for instructions), and although I've corrupted neighbourhoods before, I've never actually noticed any problematic symptoms even after several months of playing (or perhaps I should play those hoods longer in order to see Sims wanting to WooHoo with themselves?).

Honestly, even with all the scare about corruption in The Sims 2, once you know what to do and what not to do, you really have to try to break your game for it to, uh, break (Barring problems out of your control, like a bad Windows update). I've been playing SimVille for several years now, being cautious and mindful about corruption. I regularly clear out gossip using the batbox. Still alive and kicking, and reasonably healthy. Given what I've heard about TS3, TS2 saved games actually last on average a very long time.
Mad Poster
#28 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 4:43 AM
When I played TS3, I was rather impressed by how quickly those save files inflated in size.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#29 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 6:04 AM
As for the game being remarkably durable - I agree to that; even my completely vanilla hood lasted four and a half years - and I also did not encounter any problems. I don't think I ever turned testing cheats on either.

Some of the BV teens - after going to Uni - aged back to teens so I chose Grow Up and made them adults again.
Some Sims encountered what may have been stuck objects (which I did not know about) - so I simply moved them out.
I had 224 families in that hood as well.

One day, the hood has done the vanishing into space thing. (Being stupid back then, I did not have a backup - but wanting to find out what happened, I stumbled upon Mod the Sims)

So while I accept that corruption will set in over time and the essential mods may delay/prevent that - I truly believe that most problems reported here are caused by the cc a player downloads.

There are the easier things, like having an original and a fixed mesh for a hair in your game (the ONE day I did not feel like reading the readme). Or a object/hair/outfit which is just not working properly.

But things working in one player's game may not be working in another's. Especially mods, and especially the variety of mods you want to use.

Example : When @ihatemandatoryregister had the problem with the romance mod, for instance - that mod is NOT supposed to conflict with ACR at all; it is even recommended to use with it. But in ihate's game - it did - probably because of other mods in that game. However, there is no conflict in my game between the two mods at all.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#30 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 11:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Justpetro
So while I accept that corruption will set in over time and the essential mods may delay/prevent that - I truly believe that most problems reported here are caused by the cc a player downloads.

I would tend to agree with this. The game as designed has mechanisms to deal with situations like moving occupied lots between neighbourhoods and deleting sims. These are perhaps not desireable, but neverless they work for the most part. My niece had a version of Strangetown where she moved all of the Maxis sims from the other hoods in to it- and this worked seemingly without error for many years and several generations. The only issues encountered were to do with the Smith family's broken DNA- an ancestor could not give birth without the game crashing. She killed that sim and carried on!
Mad Poster
#31 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 11:37 AM
There are definitely some built-in protection too - Sims in the vanilla game cannot interact with Crumplebottom at all (you will need to turn on the testng cheats for that)!

I don't remember doing a lot of the things one is warned against - probably because you either need to turn testing cheats on or use a mod. I did move occupied lots into the bin once or twice - and back into the same hood - because they were simply in the way of new building development! And I certainly sold some lots, graves and all, because some ghosts were so damn umpleasant. (Sent some gravestones to the Gothier Green Lawns in Downtown too - they actually turned up there .

First time I lost a gravestone was in a modded hood with all the essential mods in place. The hood still works but the gravestone is still missing
Mad Poster
#32 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 12:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by frogz2007
I really wish someone would document corruption and really dig deep into it and just put their research up online. I'd dedicate a whole day so I could just read up on it since it's fascinating to me.

Maybe you should be the one to research it then. XD
Theorist
#33 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 2:17 PM
from what it looks like Maxis went with the "If we can make look like it's working, nobody will know it's broken" approach with the game."

I'm not quite sure I agree with that statement. I think they just didn't know any better back in the 2004. Look at how long it took even the community to realize that there is corruption and what corruption is.
Sims 2 was very ambitious and they probably overlooked quite a bit. I still think the corruption issues with Sims 2 is why there never was a solid memory system in the Sims series again, among other things. It was also the first Sims game to include generations of Sims, so they had no experience on how to keep a simulation like that running.

And well, even Sims 1 and Sims 3 have corruption issues. I dunno about four because I haven't played it in like 3 years and hardly ever look at the forum there.

But I agree that corruption in today's Sims 2 community is a bit of a bogeyman. It exists and it happens, especially if you are not careful, but it doesn't always immediately lead to your neighbourhood going up in flames or your whole game being corrupted. Before we knew what corruption was we probably all played corrupted hoods for years without noticing anything odd until some freak glitch showed up.
The only time I ever really screwed up a neighbourhood and had Sims and gravestones vanishing was last year and that was because I screwed up the backups.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 4:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by k6ka
....and that's why we keep backups, folks!

Was my mistake with Springwater. The last backup was six months prior to the Great Crash. It all worked out well in the end, though - Oakbrook spawned from the ashes and aside from the whole duplicate-townie issue I'm far more satisfied with it.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Scholar
#36 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 4:54 PM
It's typical for humans to what what they can't have or what is inaccessible. Like Grim, Therapist, Crumple, etc.

So I once made a house with one Sim in it and added all of those along with some Hula Zombies and the Remote Car. And the house loaded every time. But all the Sims in it would disappear. I was so sad. But any symptoms of corruption were minor. Blank talk and thought bubbles. Blank aspirations. Not much honestly.

I lost those games because I had to switch computers.

The worst corruption I ever had was a hood I was trying to set up myself. I don't know what I did but it just deteriorated and stopped loading.

I also lost the hood that held my avatar Sim. Half the Sims in it disappeared and I freaked. Be gone foul wickedness!

Now several times I have had the Beaker house corrupt and refuse to load. Moving them out saves them but the house just refuses to load after a while. I love that house so it always makes me sad when I lose it.

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#37 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 4:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DezzyBoo
Now several times I have had the Beaker house corrupt and refuse to load. Moving them out saves them but the house just refuses to load after a while. I love that house so it always makes me sad when I lose it.

download a cleaned version of the beaker house here https://ts2lots.tumblr.com/search/strangetown

I May Be Life Dumb But I'm Sim Smart(mostly).
My Tumblr
Scholar
#38 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 6:05 PM
Thanks!

"Oh look, my grandchild is now an elder. They grow up so fast. Gee, I wonder when I'll finally graduate college." Sims 2
Scholar
#39 Old 5th Jan 2018 at 8:39 PM
your welcome! my MTS new year resolution is to be more helpful

My Tumblr
Trainee Moderator
staff: trainee moderator
#40 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 1:38 AM
Wow, @keyqueen you really had to do that?! O_O

I once broke my game when I somehow, deleted all the hoods and I couldn't play. And another when I spawned all the NPCs and sims, well it didn't brake it, but it crashed it.

- When one gets inspired by the other, the one inspires another - Anything is Possible.

You can view some of my WIPs and other stuff for TS3 on my Twitter here ---> https://twitter.com/SweetSavanita
Scholar
#41 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 11:15 AM
Eh. i'm not smart enough. Now, if I could just borrow Chris Hatch and Pescado's brains for a day or two, maybe then I could get some stuff done! I miss Mootilda. She was so well versed with the game's internals and she had made so many tools for us all to use and enjoy. God bless you, Moo. You're missed greatly.

didn't you nearly make a big boss scenario?

My Tumblr
Scholar
#42 Old 7th Jan 2018 at 3:32 PM
I once had a mistake-to-write-off time of 60 seconds, when I decided the Grim Reaper would make a great Biology student. (Hint: he doesn't...)

Granted that the Grim Reaper in my hood's storyline has an overall agenda of destroying the neighbourhood, but this is the only time he (with the help of a particularly foolish action from a human) took down the entire game.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#43 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 3:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ihatemandatoryregister
When I played TS3, I was rather impressed by how quickly those save files inflated in size.

Me too! I was just playing a world I started yesterday and I got the error 16 crash! Yesterday! It deleted the entire thing because it was "too big of a file." I'm just glad it wasn't a generation challenge or something.
Field Researcher
#44 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 3:41 AM Last edited by budwinys : 13th Feb 2018 at 4:08 AM.
It's not really broken (it does crash after a bit, though), but apparently TS2 can only handle so much CC with good textures before it freaks out and does the "pink texture bug" thing. I keep cleaning my CC out, which fixes it, and then putting MORE CC in. "Oh, maybe it won't trigger this time." "It's just a little bit of stuff!" etc. So, I guess the fastest I've broken TS2 is around 5 minutes.
Scholar
#45 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 12:07 PM
For me, the UC has broken a lot less than the disc version. But I have probably gotten better at not breaking it too. I used to get crash to desktop all the time on my disc version, I don't think that has ever happened with the UC.

Back before the Sims community understood the implications, I used to routinely kill all my sims when starting a hood. Then came the squiggly lines etc. And the first week TS2 came out, remember when the forum was going crazy because we all had the jump bug?

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Lab Assistant
#46 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 4:20 PM
Default Breaking Sims 2
Have been playing the original Sims 2 for a long time now, memory isn't all that great but at least 5 to 7 years. Have Sims 2, University, Night Life, Open for Business, Seasons, Apartments, Free Time, Mansions and Gardens and a few lesser known ones and lots of stuff packs. Have Pets but never played it. Have 29 main hoods, and many of these have a business district, a shopping center and some have universities. Some are quite large and others pretty small. Have had some problems but nothing really serious. Have one house that has a time problem, and have a couple of sub hoods that crash frequently....but otherwise things aren't that bad. Chris has helped me considerably and right now need some more help but will post that elsewhere. Have game installed on 3 desktops and one laptop but play it most on one of the desk tops. Don't like the appearance of Sims 3 Sims so quit playing that. Never tried Sims 4. (Started with Sims 1, but that was a long time ago). Occasionally have had some problems with a Sim and if I couldn't find a way to fix him/her, I drowned them and then resurrected them and usually they were OK. Have all kinds of families, one fat, several gay or lesbian, one hood with little people, one hood with a lot of singles, just try all different kinds of Sims. Originally tended to have lot more females than males but have been having a lot of male children lately....although have only played one child...always grow them up to teens immediately. Have a few adults the size of teens and maybe a couple of teens the size of adults but doing less of that now. All in all think it is a pretty good game....
Helptato
#47 Old 13th Feb 2018 at 10:12 PM
My first legacy family, their neighbourhood after about 9 generations became very glitchy- disappearing Sims and everything. So I sadly lost that hood and family

Emma!

Simblr
[url=https://peanutbuttersandwich.dreamwidth.org/Dreamwidth[/url]
Page 2 of 2