Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
#76 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 1:46 AM
Even though it's far poofier on top I think the original stand-in you've been using actually looks the best of all those choices!
The Peggy ponytail does look promising from the front, but even if you were able to remove the tail (and make it not be a Peggy pay mesh ;p), it would look more slicked-back than I think you need.
I know that after everything you've put in so far you want to find the perfect mesh, but unless you find something that suits even better I honestly feel like you're in perfectly fine shape with the original one.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#77 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 2:28 AM
You could also use the in game pony tail or perhaps old man Goth's hair.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#78 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 7:23 AM Last edited by billielith : 14th Sep 2017 at 8:23 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Liz
Even though it's far poofier on top I think the original stand-in you've been using actually looks the best of all those choices!
The Peggy ponytail does look promising from the front, but even if you were able to remove the tail (and make it not be a Peggy pay mesh ;p), it would look more slicked-back than I think you need.
I know that after everything you've put in so far you want to find the perfect mesh, but unless you find something that suits even better I honestly feel like you're in perfectly fine shape with the original one.

Very true. All the meshes I've found have the same problem, the hair is all too tight around the ears. I guess thick hair on the side is out of fashion.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
You could also use the in game pony tail or perhaps old man Goth's hair.

lol, I had to look it up, I never played any of the premade families in the game. It's also a good suggestion.

I could also try again with tinkering meshes. Wouldn't it be amazing if I could find out how to actually make a mix of Peggy's one with the Maxis bald one I used? But, I've failed a lot with meshing before. I'll update you if anything works. :P

Edit : I just realized that they teach you the clothing meshes before teaching you the hair meshes, so I'll move on to his outfit and we'll try again with the hair once the outfit is done.

I know I can't do it, but I'm still going to do it. - M. C. Escher
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#79 Old 14th Sep 2017 at 7:40 AM Last edited by billielith : 14th Sep 2017 at 8:22 AM.
For a first go at tinkering with meshes, I'll try putting those two together. I'll update you with pictures of my meshing adventures soon.

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#80 Old 15th Sep 2017 at 9:13 AM Last edited by billielith : 15th Sep 2017 at 11:31 PM.
Update

Today this is what I did instead of meshing. Yes I am delaying the part I don't like, lol. But he needed a clothing texture did he not? I am rather happy with how it turned out, for a first go.

What do you think?

Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#81 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 2:27 AM
Update
Outfit, v2

I added the belt and pin, added folds and creases, tinkered the top button.

I am not completely satisfied with the pin, from close up it looks pixellated, I might want to remove it from the outfit and make it an accessory instead - if meshing goes well, haven't started that yet! lol.

For his underpants I didn't like the crinkled silk, I used a texture of brushed cotton instead. I took this texture from a set of dresses I made for my sim Robin, forever ago.

What do you think?
Screenshots

just a girl
#82 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 3:19 AM
Either you've changed sim's head once more or his latest close-ups look drastically different from full-length pics. I can't tell which one. On outfit pics, it looks like he has small face and big forehead.
(Anyway, sim is recognizable on close-ups, so yay to you!)

The outfit.
I find the belt too large and wide in proportion to the whole thing.
Reference material suggests less deep black and lighter highlights.
Seams on boots (I guess, they're still a work in progress).
Pants are fine, although, on the photo, it looks like they're the same as boots? Like his boots and pants are one piece.
Also, to do the texture before the mesh? But... the mapping might end up to be different... You're nuts. I love it :D
Instructor
#83 Old 16th Sep 2017 at 10:16 AM
I'm very impressed with how close you got the tunic to the one in the photo so quickly. The belt needs a little fine tuning: I like the width of the belt at the waist, but the part hanging down looks a little wonky. The boots still look a little short, but I'm sure that is subject to change once you address that part. Not really digging the pants - perhaps if the "grain" of the fabric was going with the length of his legs instead of around them if would look better? Right now, they look like the leggings that the high school girls here wear in place of actual pants.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#84 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
Either you've changed sim's head once more or his latest close-ups look drastically different from full-length pics. I can't tell which one. On outfit pics, it looks like he has small face and big forehead.
(Anyway, sim is recognizable on close-ups, so yay to you!)

The outfit.
I find the belt too large and wide in proportion to the whole thing.
Reference material suggests less deep black and lighter highlights.
Seams on boots (I guess, they're still a work in progress).
Pants are fine, although, on the photo, it looks like they're the same as boots? Like his boots and pants are one piece.
Also, to do the texture before the mesh? But... the mapping might end up to be different... You're nuts. I love it :D

Quote: Originally posted by d4RE
I'm very impressed with how close you got the tunic to the one in the photo so quickly. The belt needs a little fine tuning: I like the width of the belt at the waist, but the part hanging down looks a little wonky. The boots still look a little short, but I'm sure that is subject to change once you address that part. Not really digging the pants - perhaps if the "grain" of the fabric was going with the length of his legs instead of around them if would look better? Right now, they look like the leggings that the high school girls here wear in place of actual pants.

Hi to both of you, thanks for chiming in, welcome back to the fold.

Lamare, face is the same, outfit changed. Neck is different. This makes me think I do need the top part of the other outfit after all. Big forehead indeed, which is why I did not want to keep the Maxis bald hair. Belt, you are right, I'll work on that. Reference lighting vs bodyshop lighting, maybe I should test all this in-game. Seams on boots, oh yes. Boots are beyond ugly, work-in-progress of course. I will never be a tailor nor a shoe maker, and making decent boots is a struggle. His boots on the reference pic are probably super long for horse riding. Texture before mesh, I'd be nuts if this was a deliberate choice, but in fact I am blind : noob mesher, never worked on a mesh before, no idea when to do what or why. Besides, maybe it is not a bad thing to have already an idea of what the texture will look like.

d4RE, thank you, I have a little more than two weeks to finish everything and I know the hair meshing will be a nightmare so I don't want to dwell on the outfit too much. Belt, yes, indeed, thanks for spotting what works and what doesn't. The boots are indeed too short, I don't know if noob-mesher me can do anything about it, I'll keep you guys updated. Pants, OMFG I hadn't seen it that way but now I see only that, lol lol lol. I'll work on them again for sure now, lol.

Thanks again for spotting what is right and what isn't, thanks all for sticking with me, I am with my kid during the week-end, next update soon.

Instructor
#85 Old 17th Sep 2017 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by billielith
Update
Outfit, v2...
I am not completely satisfied with the pin, from close up it looks pixellated, I might want to remove it from the outfit and make it an accessory instead - if meshing goes well, haven't started that yet! lol.

Funny, I was going to say how much I liked the pin! I'd definitely be looking in-game since we know bodyshop has its own ideas about how sims look, and those ideas don't always match the in-game truth. You'll also get a much better idea how light is going to play on the textures you're doing (and there are some ambitiously different textures in play here - hats off to you!).

If you think the pin is too pixelated close-up, maybe you could try opening the file in SimPE and importing that way? It'll make the file bigger, but if it gets you the results you want... and Compressorizer will be of help there too. I'm afraid my eyes can't really help with the other details given the bodyshop lighting... stupid passing of time making my eyeballs feel old (shakes fist at sky for good measure, then yells at kids fo get off my non-existent lawn). >_<

I definitely agree the mesh should come before the skinning so you don't have to tweak and tweak later, but I get wanting to have at least an idea of how the skin will look while you're getting the mesh right... I think you have a great start on your skin if you wanted to kick it into mesh mode before you go too far towards perfecting a skin that meshing may end up making you change. Either way, though, you're doing a freaking magnificent job!!
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#86 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 5:22 AM Last edited by billielith : 19th Sep 2017 at 5:53 AM.
Hi again all,
How are you today?

Update, I fixed the different details you guys mentioned :

Boots : Boot texture, I tried fixing just the seams but it still looked weird so I got rid of my texture (boots), used a texture by iamliz as a reference and redid the leg part. It's less similar to what Tywin is actually wearing but at least they look like boots now, with a seam that looks normal. Boot size, I will look into it when I'm at the mesh.

Belt : I made the buckle smaller, even a bit smaller than Tywin's own, I think it looks better this way. It's not just a belt, it's Lannister gold, it has to look good! lol. I removed the pattern on the bottom part to make it more coherent with the rest of the belt, fixed the bottom part's size. The curve is still there but that's the mesh, there's no curve in my texture, if I try to use an opposite curve in my texture in hopes to get back to a straight line on the sim, it gets fuzzy, ugly, wonkier than it ever was, so I guess we're stuck with a little curve there.

Pin : I kept it where it was and as it was, we'll see if it stays there or if an accessory gets made (depends how good it goes with the accessory-making)

Pants : I tried switching the texture in the sense of the grain of the fabric but it still looked like weird girly leggings anyway, lol, so I went with a wool texture instead. Southern old gents can get chilly riding to Harrenhal and back, wool is comfy.

Purse : Floating purse (red thing near his hand) I wanted to remove it in the mesh - It is still visible in the pictures but I could remove the purse entirely by editing the texture's alpha, so it's gone already. My next pictures won't have it.

In-Game pictures : Not today. My PC can get whimsy when it's time to run the game. I'll try again soon.

Of course the entire body shape of the sim is very different from the man's shape. As for the neck, with this mesh he looks like he has a long neck, a bit too long, I'll try with the top part of the other mesh, remapping my texture as needed, in a couple days.

What do you think of what was done today? Do you see anything that would need to be reworked on the outfit except for the neck, boot size and purse?

Screenshots

Screenshots

Instructor
#87 Old 19th Sep 2017 at 8:40 AM
Everything looks awesome. Boot texture might be still a little off, but you probably should not fiddle with it until after any changes to the mesh, in case that changes it. By "off", I think I mean there's a bit too much light grey in the highlights, maybe needs subtler changes in blacks and darker greys? Didn't really notice it before, but LOVE the pin- that's a great touch.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#88 Old 20th Sep 2017 at 8:36 AM Last edited by billielith : 20th Sep 2017 at 9:02 AM.
Update and in-game pictures.

As mentioned in the previous post I removed the purse by editing the texture alpha. I also fixed the "too much light grey" on the boots and belt despite Dare's warning about working on the mesh first, because this is the last detail (hopefully), no reason to keep it out. I am well advanced on the texture and if everything is already fixed and ready color-wise and texture-wise I'll just have to worry about having to remap it.

I joined a second picture showing clearerly why I keep saying that my pin needs to be done separately. Even Tywin agrees, lol. I think I'll remove it and seek information on how to make a separate pin as an accessory.

I joined the promised in-game pictures as well.

What do you think?

Screenshots

Instructor
#89 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 7:13 AM
Wow. Simply wonderful. Love the attention to detail on the buckle/loop area. I guess we all better get started on making our Game of Thrones neighborhoods now.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#90 Old 21st Sep 2017 at 4:42 PM
You are way too kind. There's still the hair that needs fixing. :P

Next update soon, stay tuned.

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#91 Old 25th Sep 2017 at 4:31 PM
Well people, as we've been talking about Tywin's collar being of the wrong shape, I've been thinking of combining his current clothing mesh with Berg's Regency coat mesh' collar as shown in a previous image. On paper this sounded easy and quick to do.

But I am stuck with a problem. I am unable to see the mesh of my current outfit (Adult, Male, Alpha tunic with boots by TiggeryPum) in Milkshape, I get a bug. The maxis Hula mesh is showing up instead of Tig's mesh.

I tried to make a search online for informations on "Wrong mesh, hula mesh" but I didn't get anything. I posted a request for help in the Modding forums. I hope to find a solution soon. :/

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#92 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 2:43 AM
I've recently found a new job, which is why this thread is asleep right now. I'll be back with an update this wednesday.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#93 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 3:00 AM
That's okay. Try not to double and triple post unless you are adding something though.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#94 Old 3rd Oct 2017 at 3:28 AM
lol..this is exactly why she did it. She added, something.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#95 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 6:44 PM Last edited by billielith : 4th Oct 2017 at 8:42 PM.
Hi all,
How are you today?

First, News Flash! There's a change in my deadline - instead of trying to finish this by October 10, which is wayyy too soon considering my freetime recently shrunk tremendously with my new job. Let's try to finish this by Christmas, will we?

Secondly, update for Tywin's outfit!
I finally got able to load the proper meshes to work on, thanks to Rosebine's support and Nysha's help on another thread. I made a first try at combining the two meshes for Tywin's outfit. The result is imperfect, he looks as if somebody sliced his stomach. And I don't like the texture of his collar. But! I still made some progress - I think. Did I?

What do you think? Do you think I should just revert to the previous shape or is this new combined shape better? His neck especially.
I plan to fix the gap at his stomach. I had a hard time getting both meshes together because they don't have the same amount of vertexes at the seam, but I'll try my best to properly fix that - maybe there's a way to add vertexes or something. I'll also search for an outfit with long boots to combine with my mesh, to bring Tywin's boots closer to the original.

Edit1 : I looked around, and maybe the boots will be better simply painted in the texture. He has a seam below his knee anyway, so a seam there won't look too strange in my mesh.

Screenshots :

Screenshots

just a girl
#96 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:51 PM
Neck is better
I wish you could give him some muscles and wheight, but that's troublesome.
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#97 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 7:15 PM
I apologize to the people who might have seen my reactions here yesterday. I have a hard time dealing with giving something my all and not progressing.

Meshing is not working out for me. So instead I'll leave his "Hand of the King" outfit as it is - and consider it a 2nd outfit. And I'll start working on a proper Lannister armor, which, if it goes well, will be his main outfit.

just a girl
#98 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 7:49 PM
Good luck with finding the right mesh for his armor!

It's very interesting to watch you keep going, like your signature says
Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#99 Old 5th Oct 2017 at 9:50 PM
Thanks, Lamare

This (picture below) is what I'll be trying to do. I'll try working it up from the Maxis armor from OFB.

I guess I just traded an average meshing project for an even more complicated one, whatever. I'll post updates if I get anywhere, lol. Otherwise I might try to go hunting for an armor closer to his, but I doubt I'll find it, Tywin's armor is pretty unique, lol.

Tywin's armor
Screenshots

Top Secret Researcher
Original Poster
#100 Old 29th Nov 2017 at 11:14 PM
Update

You are all awesome, but the armor is way too much trouble, and with my new job and 2 other jobs, I just don't have the freetime anymore. I'm going to post Sir Tywin online around Christmas time, and I won't forget you and your help. Thanks again! :lovestruc

And, for the record, I am a total, sold out Sir-Tywin-fan, so I don't think my post will disappoint you. I just love him more than I should. He reminds me of someone.
Stay tuned!

Page 4 of 5