Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 5:22 PM
Default Scratch folder causing in game problems
So I read online that getting rid of the scratch folders in the game would help the game load faster, so I tried doing this & when I opened a profile. It did load faster, but with a small problem---It looks as if all the tabs & bars at the bottom are gone (like when you hit tab to take a screenshot). Also the manage worlds button is also gone. I put the folders back, but this is still happening. What can I do to fix this?

https://cl.ly/1e2y0m120f13
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 5:27 PM
Have you tried repairing the game via Origin?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 5:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anhaeyn

no, hopefully that fixes it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 6:17 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Anhaeyn

I just repaired the game & the same thing is happening, I can't click anything or do anything. What exact purpose do the scratch folders have?
Scholar
#5 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 6:49 PM
You do need the scratch files, otherwise your game will be in a mess, your seeing blank lots and missing data because your not letting it cache what it is supposed to, you should always keep your saves games on your fastest drive, and preferly a free drive, away from your system/boot drive where no other application is writes to it, I've never noticed too much impact with the scratch files, it's make a lot of temporary little files, but it's not a huge sized folder, and if your really want it stop writing to your hard disk, redirect your scratch folder to RAMDisk, with a junction or a symbolic link, but I wouldn't expect too much of an improvement.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 2nd Oct 2017 at 8:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
You do need the scratch files, otherwise your game will be in a mess, your seeing blank lots and missing data because your not letting it cache what it is supposed to, you should always keep your saves games on your fastest drive, and preferly a free drive, away from your system/boot drive where no other application is writes to it, I've never noticed too much impact with the scratch files, it's make a lot of temporary little files, but it's not a huge sized folder, and if your really want it stop writing to your hard disk, redirect your scratch folder to RAMDisk, with a junction or a symbolic link, but I wouldn't expect too much of an improvement.

So what do I need to do? I put them back but it still has the missing options
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 2:33 AM
I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling the game, in hopes that this would help, but it didn't. I seriously don't know what to do at this point. It's like the new game didn't react to being started over at all. I'm pretty mad at myself for messing with the scratch folders & I really don't know how to put the scratch folders back to the way they were. I guess I didn't put them in their original place & now everything is kinda fucked. Thanks for your help, everyone.