Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Rabid Recoloring Renegade
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 12:44 PM
New Problem With Terrains - S3OC, S3PE
Hello :-)

First, I want to say thank you for making such awesome tools for creators such as myself. Without everyone's help The Sims games would be way too vanilla.

Having said that, I'm having a terrain issue that didn't exist before WA for me. My terrains were all happy and joyfully spreading the love here on MTS.
Now, my terrains all have a one-sided break in the seam. I can't figure out why.

I am using the Dec/09 versions of both S3OC and S3EP, and my imaging program is GIMP.

I have tried everything I can think of:

-cloning from S3OC -cloning from CAW
-making seamless over and over in both cloned files in GIMP
-attempting to match the seam myself with GIMP

I know you don't provide support with GIMP, and I don't think that is the problem.

Here's a picture of what's happening:

Do you have any thoughts or ideas as to what could be causing this issue?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Simmiller
Screenshots
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 2:46 PM
I don't *think* our tools can do anything that should affect this! Try exporting the image again and see if it looks different from what you thought you imported. Also please help us out by trying older versions and let us know what was the last verison this worked correctly in.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
#3 Old 17th Feb 2010 at 9:35 PM
The seem can be corrected if Gimp has an "offset" filter?
you can correct it in Adobe Photo under filters/Other as well.

Home of most of my creations.

Custom Sims 3

http://www.sapphiresims2.com/
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 3:16 PM
Okay, Inge, will do.

Thanks, Fire, I will check that out as well.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 4:10 PM
Something else I wanted to quickly mention while I'm trying to fix this issue, is that my patterns all still work properly. Since they are also .dds files, I thought this might be of interest.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#6 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 4:37 PM
Okay. I have tried every single filter in GIMP - some of them are really cool! Unfortunately, they didn't work, which is NOT cool.

I'm going to go in search of earlier releases of S3PE and S3OC now, and see what happens there.
retired moderator
Original Poster
#7 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 5:58 PM
Now I'm really frustrated.

My terrains don't work at all with earlier versions of S3PE and s3oc.

I tried all of them back to 0911-22, based on when WA was released. Prior to that date, without WA, my terrains work, no problem. After the WA release, NONE of my terrains even show up in the terrain panel until the 0912-13 version, and then when I use them, I get the lines.

Any thoughts on what else I need to do?
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#8 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 6:07 PM
Oh, that must be the old TXTC problem then.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Field Researcher
#9 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 8:58 PM
Ok, not sure if this helps anyone. but i have found some files are 8 bit some 16 bit and some 32 bit.

EA said:

Power User Tip: You can also create your own terrain paints! Just create a .tga or .dds file where the image size is a power of two, with a maximum size of 1024 x 1024 pixels with a resolution of 72 pixels per inch. Be sure not to reuse the same name for multiple textures as The Sims 3 Create a World Tool—Beta will only recognize one of them.

In My Quest for the PERFECT Dirt Road... I have been experimenting with the bit and the alphas of terrain tiles to make them match even when layered as intersections do.
the faint dark "shadow seem" you are seeing in yours above shows in allot of my trails to make corner match-ups.

I will see if i can find a pattern in the variance.

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#10 Old 18th Feb 2010 at 10:53 PM
Inge, wouldn't Dashboard pick that up then?

Ashillion, thanks. I did read that Power User Tip. I always work with terrains in 1024x1024. I simply don't know any other way :-) As for the ppi, I'm not sure how to check that in my files. Do you know?
Test Subject
#11 Old 26th Feb 2010 at 10:15 PM
Sorry i do not read in here much, anywho your problem lies with the seam as i said in an earlier post, i had the same issue last year and learned that it was the seamless issue that caused this.

to correct it you need to center the seam with the offset filter then use the clone brush to cover it up as best you can..

here is the original post of the seam issue i had.

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...024#post2864024

Home of most of my creations.

Custom Sims 3

http://www.sapphiresims2.com/
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 10:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ashillion
Ok, not sure if this helps anyone. but i have found some files are 8 bit some 16 bit and some 32 bit.

EA said:

Power User Tip: You can also create your own terrain paints! Just create a .tga or .dds file where the image size is a power of two, with a maximum size of 1024 x 1024 pixels with a resolution of 72 pixels per inch. Be sure not to reuse the same name for multiple textures as The Sims 3 Create a World Tool—Beta will only recognize one of them.

In My Quest for the PERFECT Dirt Road... I have been experimenting with the bit and the alphas of terrain tiles to make them match even when layered as intersections do.
the faint dark "shadow seem" you are seeing in yours above shows in allot of my trails to make corner match-ups.

I will see if i can find a pattern in the variance.

I've been checking it out, and my system doesn't want to go below 96 ppi. Why would that matter NOW, when it didn't before?
Field Researcher
#13 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 1:42 AM
You cannot manually set this (as far as i know) I just use a EA image as a "container" and save as.... That way it uses the defaults of the EA file not the defaults of my image program... sorry just upgraded my computer so having to reinstall....

I'd like to build a world, a better world.
Guess I'll start here...
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 5th Mar 2010 at 6:15 PM
That's interesting, and I thought that was what I was doing, too.

Now I have to think LOL!

Okay, so maybe not. I'll give it a go.

Thanks Ashillion!