Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 9:15 PM
Default Wall Overlays - Stencil Decor
Having finally released Polgannon and despite it's teething issues, I finally have time to get back to some other projects. There are quite a few backed up including several to do with Polgannon itself.

THIS though is nothing to do with that intractable mystery, it's a sort of object recolour and has been making a nice change for me today.

In fact, it's a recolour of Pixelhate's Numenor wall poster. If you don't know, it's a poster that covers a full wall tile but you can make the images partly transparent. I use it myself most often to add cracks and filth to walls but I've been meaning to make some stencils for some time. I want a couple of stencils in my new office IRL which is what got me started looking at images. You can put them over any wall though obviously plain walls work best.

This is the first set (I also have images for a set of flowers, foliage and abstract patterns and depending on how these (animals) go down, I'll work through them all now I have a technique worked out. So animal images - or more precisely sea animal, ancient and modern images. I thought they might work in bathrooms (though I want an ammonite and trilobite on my office wall) but I put in the sofa and plant so you can see the relative size.

What I want to know:
Do you like them and would you use them?
How about the size? At the moment, they're on the 2-tile poster and in the middle. Is that the right place for them?
I was thinking about making a smaller version on another type of 'transparent' poster (aikea-guinea's) which is shiftable but that is only small. Should I make both?
What about colour images? I'm not sure about this since most of the original images are black as you can see - I don't know if I can colour the image or at least I'd have to work out how to do that. The problem is the edges of the image are semi-transparent. The turtle might be nice in green though.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 10:08 PM
i LOVE them. Especially the turtle! I do like the black myself. I think I'd like to add some sea shades somewhere - but they are really great, Maxon, and I will definitely use them.
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#3 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 11:26 PM
They are cute, maxon. You know not to use pure black, yes?

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#4 Old 28th Aug 2015 at 1:07 PM
Yes, I know that and they are a very dark grey - more so because I darkened the image so the smoothing action I did was more consistent. I tried lightening them again and the problem can be seen in the red paper example. I don't know how to deal with that.

The other thing is I tried them with the Aikea-Guinea mesh which is shiftable and that works fine I think. I like the option to move them about and make patterns.

I'm going to try getting the softer edges on the initial graphic by another method but if anyone has any suggestions, please chip in.
Screenshots

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#5 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 1:13 PM
I'd appreciate some final feedback comments on this. I have fiddled around with the image of the ammonite shown in the above post to try and deal with the issue of the image showing up badly on darker backgrounds. I've come up with two versions shown here. One on a light background and the other on a darker background.

The version on the right, I tried to darken the edges of the image while maintaining the dark grey-but not black main colour. This works better on the darker backgrounds but my feeling is it is a cruder image mainly because having to darken the greyer edges makes the lines thicker. The version on the left of the images is the one I think I prefer because it does a better job of maintaining the lines and, as can be seen, also looks better on the dark background than the one in the above post. However, it doesn't really work on the darker background.

So what I want to know is
Which version do you prefer?
Do you think it's acceptable to post something that only works on lighter backgrounds (obviously I'd advise this in the release thread)?
Or do you think I should try to find a way of dealing with the grey problem further. It strikes me I could try and look at the idea of making the edges of the image more transparent though this might be a difficult process to pin down.
Screenshots

Mad Poster
#6 Old 30th Aug 2015 at 1:57 PM
I think it's okay to release something that will only show up properly on light colors. If everything uploaded had to be universal, where would we get our 50 GB Adult Female Clothing folders?

If you feel a need to keep fiddling to make them work better on dark backgrounds, you can always update later. But how many people are going to want to put a black stencil on a dark background, anyway? The simplest way to make them usable on dark backgrounds would seem to be to make a white version.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Scholar
#7 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:33 PM
Hello Maxon! Nice work!
Just to let you know that BoilingOil has made a revised version of the Posters.
It's available here.

I don't know if it'll help with your issue, though (there's such a long time!) but Peni Griffin suggestion (white version) will.

Very pleasant to see that the posters are still used as support for new creation.

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Aug 2015 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Pixelhate
Hello Maxon! Nice work!
Just to let you know that BoilingOil has made a revised version of the Posters.
It's available here.

I don't know if it'll help with your issue, though (there's such a long time!) but Peni Griffin suggestion (white version) will.

Very pleasant to see that the posters are still used as support for new creation.

Hey @Pixelhate - yes, I knew about the BO version and I will be linking to that (but with due shout out to you too - I've alway liked the wall overlay and use it a lot). I'll look into doing a white version too.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#9 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 9:54 AM
I have a question about uploaded files. I don't want to start a new thread so I'll ask it here if that's ok.

I want to upload a new version of one of my uploads with some minor corrections (not Polgannon though I might just do that too). Does anyone know if you can replace the file without losing the download count? Or do you need to upload the file anew?

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#10 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 10:38 AM
Edit the post - don't remove the existing file. Upload a new one, keeping the name and file type the same. That will replace the old file and keep the download count.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Sep 2015 at 11:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Edit the post - don't remove the existing file. Upload a new one, keeping the name and file type the same. That will replace the old file and keep the download count.

Excellent - thank you @mustluvcatz

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#12 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 4:32 PM
OK an update - partly to let you know (if you are interested) where I am with this project and partly to reassure myself these work. This is what I ended up with: three colour versions, one black (ish), one white (ish) and one coloured. See the pictures. I'm not quite happy with the colour version because the process to get it coarsens the image a bit but I think I might be able to do something about that. Anyway, my feeling is now that the 'black' version works well on light walls, the 'white' version works well on dark walls and all three work quite well on the medium wall (green wall). So I think I'll get the other images done and then upload these unless anyone else has something to say.

I was thinking colour-wise for the coloured options, maybe a golden brownish colour for the ammonites and trilobites, a nice deepish blue for the nautilus, green for the turtle and maybe a turquoisey colour (darkish rather than light) for the fish. I don't want to do more than one colour per design because that's too many recolours to me. It's already going to be a lot with the white and black versions. With that and the smaller versions for the shiftable mesh, I think that's more than enough.
Screenshots

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#13 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 6:56 PM
I may have missed it in your previous posts but how are you changing the color of the image? (And what are you using - Photoshop, Gimp, paint.net or ??) The black looks the best in all 3 of those screenshots.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#14 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 7:11 PM
Paint Shop Pro - I wish I could afford Photoshop but I don't like the way they do business and they're too expensive for me.

Former Hamster
retired moderator
#15 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 7:28 PM
Shoot. I was going to offer to play around with your image a bit. But I'm a Photoshop girl. (Have had it for ages and ages... and it was given to me, which was a big bonus way back then.) I don't know if any of the functions are similar or not.
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#16 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 8:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mustluvcatz
Shoot. I was going to offer to play around with your image a bit. But I'm a Photoshop girl. (Have had it for ages and ages... and it was given to me, which was a big bonus way back then.) I don't know if any of the functions are similar or not.

I think they're similar but don't always have the same names. Part of the trouble is that the original images are black and white and PSP struggles to convert grey shades into colours consistently. I'm not the best photoshopper in the world anyway and my copy of PSP is rather an old version now.

Mad Poster
#17 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 8:28 PM
I am not going to try to give any advice, but I wanted to say that I really love the colours.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 1:29 AM
These are great! (I really like the ammonite and trilobite too!)
The only thing I could add is what Pixelhate already said - about BO's fixes...
Can't wait to add these to my 'stencil' folder

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#19 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 1:42 AM
No help, but I think they look great!

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Constant Contestant
retired moderator
#20 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 8:22 AM
If you want the CS2 Adobe suite of programmes it is free here .

Want a specific style of house or community building? Why not take a look at my profile and see what I build and then come ask me to make it!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
Original Poster
#21 Old 20th Sep 2015 at 10:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KarenLorraine
If you want the CS2 Adobe suite of programmes it is free here .

Well that's potentially nice and I'll give it a try but it's 10 years old which is about as old as my Paint Shop Pro is. Thanks for the link. It does make using any Photoshop tutorials or skinning tutorials based on PS easier to follow though.