Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 10:24 PM Last edited by nickay420 : 26th Aug 2015 at 12:06 AM.
Default Feedback request
After reading the guidelines, I fear this home may be to colorful for the rules. I hope it is not. Some people enjoy some non-uniformity and Liberace-esque color schemes.

Here's my intended description and photos.

If you looking for style and color uniformity, keep looking. If you want to enter Willy Wonka's Magikal Cosmic FunHouse, read on.. =. :D

This hexagon shaped home was inspired by my playing style. And it's perfect for 1-8 sims.
I found many of the houses here lacked enough beds, nurserys, computers. So, I put a computer in nearly every room.

A SLASH ROOM Art studio / Game Room / Gym / Skill Center! JEAH

Triple gated for extra security.

Two thrones sit atop your world as the Emperor!

Fully Furnished
Lightly decorated

Bedrooms 1 master, 1 regular, 1 for two sims
Bathrooms 4 in main construct; 4 in floating constructs
2 Kitchens
Nursery (7), outdoor second level child's play area
6 car garage

4 levels
2 Basement levels

1 Floating Guest House in the back left.
3 floating efficiency "Life Pods" complete with bed, bathroom, TV, computer, bathroom, kitchen, and dining area. (You really don't need much space at all per sim).
These pods are perfect for work at home sims or loners.

Another great purpose for (2) of the life pods is if you have a spouse, family member, roommate sim that is annoying either constantly hitting on your lady or man or maybe they just don't fit in, and you don't have the heart to drown them. Put them in the pod, assign the bed, and sledge the connecting stairs. Gone. The pods can accomodate 2-3 guests.

(I need to replace the morning routine machines with teleporters)

EPs used heavily: Late Night, Showtime, HELS, Ambitions, 70s 80s and 90s stuff
Lightly used: Supernatural, Seasons,

Basement is unfinished at this point.

Sorry if I attached pics of the same thing; it was hard to sort through and the description tool is a little wonky
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 11:13 PM
I still wonder what type of lot it is... is it just a chaotic, colorful, gigantic home for your crazy sims to live in, or is it supposed to represent something different? Right now, house is chaotic with no sense of order, both in building style and object placement whatsoever. It also defies gravity ( a lot). It does serve a gameplay purpose, but still, try to sort out those chaotically placed objects, and seams that you've made all over the place. Also... it's just too jagged. Try replacing some of the jagged outer walls with diagonal walls. It still need a lot (and I really mean a lot) of work, as in it's state right now it is not considered a creation that is worthy for upload here on Mod The Sims.

Try looking at the actual lot creations on this site, or google some funhouses for reference, and then try to fit those gameplay-intended rooms in with that style. It is the largest lot, which means it can surely have all of those rooms, and even more if the chaos and unused space gets somehow sorted.
Instructor
#3 Old 25th Aug 2015 at 11:53 PM
Crazy homes are really hard to make. You cant just "throw objects and splash colors" without thinking.
I understand that you dont like ordinary houses - and that is alright I love that! But you have to work twice as hard to make such a project work.

I am sorry to be so cruel but I agree with Mixa that it is not uploadable in this state. I would recommend starting again with much smaller lot and gain more "building experience" before trying such a big project.

Visit my Tumblr for more creations http://crowkeeperthesimmer.tumblr.com :)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 12:00 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
I still wonder what type of lot it is... is it just a chaotic, colorful, gigantic home for your crazy sims to live in, or is it supposed to represent something different? Right now, house is chaotic with no sense of order, both in building style and object placement whatsoever. It also defies gravity ( a lot). It does serve a gameplay purpose, but still, try to sort out those chaotically placed objects, and seams that you've made all over the place. Also... it's just too jagged. Try replacing some of the jagged outer walls with diagonal walls. It still need a lot (and I really mean a lot) of work, as in it's state right now it is not considered a creation that is worthy for upload here on Mod The Sims.

Try looking at the actual lot creations on this site, or google some funhouses for reference, and then try to fit those gameplay-intended rooms in with that style. It is the largest lot, which means it can surely have all of those rooms, and even more if the chaos and unused space gets somehow sorted.

It is just supposed to represent fun. That is all. It only seems like the objects are randomly placed; the pics are just to show the rooms; i have kitchen objects and dining tables in the bedrooms as well as a dedicated kitchen/dining area. It will be easier to see when I label the floor plans. The building style is pretty easy to see - it's a hexagon with a pool in the middle. The jagged walls represent sprites from old video games. I'll take better screens and label them. Thank you for your input.
#5 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 12:06 AM Last edited by Thranduil Oropherion : 26th Aug 2015 at 12:24 AM.
Just my 2 cents but I have to agree with Crowkeeper - a project like this is an enormous undertaking and needs hours of work to pull it off. Your basic concept is very interesting and I love the idea of it - but you really need to take a look at some other large builds and see where you can improve yours to make it really shine.

My main concern is that I can see several routing problems - and in such a huge house that shouldn't really be an issue. In a large house you can hold many sims and we know they are not the sharpest knives in the drawer when it comes to routing, and when they all descend on your kitchen it's going to be a nightmare, when they all start standing around that piano when someone plays, another nightmare, areas around certain spiral staircases, footstamping, armwaving nightmare. Try spreading things out a bit - you've given yourself heaps of room, so use it
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 1:55 AM
ahhh.. I didn't picture a bunch of sums trying to get up the stairs / to the slash room ; despite multiple avenues; yeah i could see a problem there - i'll throw a party & make some babies and see what happens , but party guests rarely leave the main area... i'll fill it up and tweak a few things

is the AI improved in 4 ?

Thank you!
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#7 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 2:46 AM
From a moderator's standpoint, and going off the guidelines, you've got quite a few issues that need addressing and would be mentioned in a rubric:
  • The lot itself is not a flat lot. When you've built on it, you've got steep inclines and hills on the edges. That causes placement problems. Unless a lot is meant to be on an uneven lot (like HugeLunatic's Brinley Lane or a beach house ala Sunset Valley) you should be building on a flat lot.
  • There is no roofing. Even modern houses have some type of architectural difference between the "roof" and a floor on the top level.
  • Again with the concept, but your landscaping is just haphazardly tossed together. You've not used terrain paint or organized it by any means. It looks kind of like my houses look when I know I want to use stuff and stick it all over the front lawn before I decide where it's going to go.
  • Between all the crazy patterns and colors, it's SO busy that your eye can't focus on anything. Everything seems to be at war with each other. Try to get your colors and patterns more harmonious. It can be fun but still easy on the eyes.

As a side note, you can do fun and wacky but, as the others have mentioned, there should be some method to the madness and something that makes you go "Oooh!". Not just stuff mushed together because you can. Some examples.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 3:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
Everything seems to be at war with each other.
[/list]
:DThat's nearly what I am going for; I edited nearly every pattern for high contrast and mismatches. Tetris is a bit of what I had in mind for the life pods.

Thanks guys.

If anyone wants it. its @ the EA exchange same username
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 3:45 AM
I could have went crazy and made each tile a different color... lol I may do that for one of the basements.

Remember: Any room is a bedroom, if there's a bed in it.
Scholar
#10 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 6:43 PM
I have to say that I really love the interior! It looks like it could be really fun to play in. But the exterior is just blergh, it doesn't have the same quality the interior does, the floating rooms at the top of the house really bug me. Having said that, I don't see how you could maintain the interior while changing the exterior.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergus' Mind
I have to say that I really love the interior! It looks like it could be really fun to play in. But the exterior is just blergh, it doesn't have the same quality the interior does, the floating rooms at the top of the house really bug me. Having said that, I don't see how you could maintain the interior while changing the exterior.

Thanks! By exterior, do you mean the lack of foliage or the patterns I put on the outside? Today, i'm going to make 6 babies and really see how it fairs. Eventually, i'll build walkways connecting the life pods together, similar to the one I have across the second level.
Field Researcher
#12 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 7:56 PM
I'm not a professional, but, I still have a few tips:

1. Don't build such huge rooms! Try to seperate it in parts, not inmediately high walls between it, but some platforms and half walls and etc. I think that will make it a lot better.
2. Okay, you can use a lot of bright colours, but don't use just every colour you can find. Make a colourpalet of, in this case, maybe 15 colours (be very specific, not just 'blue' but maybe 'sky blue' and try to use those colours - only those - it will still be colourful, but more harmonic.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by gittevdv
I'm not a professional, but, I still have a few tips:

1. Don't build such huge rooms! Try to seperate it in parts, not inmediately high walls between it, but some platforms and half walls and etc. I think that will make it a lot better.
2. Okay, you can use a lot of bright colours, but don't use just every colour you can find. Make a colourpalet of, in this case, maybe 15 colours (be very specific, not just 'blue' but maybe 'sky blue' and try to use those colours - only those - it will still be colourful, but more harmonic.

Thank! Harmonious color schemes are what I am trying to avoid. Like a moderator said up a few posts, it's a war. A war between the home and colors. A war of attrition. Also, it's easier for me and others with vision impairments to see the objects contrast with the floor & wall patterns. "This home is modified for the vision impaired."
Destroyer of Worlds
retired moderator
#14 Old 26th Aug 2015 at 10:03 PM
It sounds like you don't want feedback to help get this moderated. Which is fine. If you're happy with the way it is, that's great and you're, of course, welcome to play and build however you'd like.

That said, this forum is specifically for getting help so you can upload a creation to MTS. If you do not plan on adjusting this house to fit within the Creator Guidelines and do not plan on using the advice you get, this is not a feedback thread. Instead it would serve better in the Houses and Landscaping Pictures thread or, at the very least, in the Sims 3 Discussion forums.

Heaven Sims | Avendale Legacy
"On the internet, you can be anything you want. It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid."
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 8:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by heaven
It sounds like you don't want feedback to help get this moderated. Which is fine. If you're happy with the way it is, that's great and you're, of course, welcome to play and build however you'd like.

That said, this forum is specifically for getting help so you can upload a creation to MTS. If you do not plan on adjusting this house to fit within the Creator Guidelines and do not plan on using the advice you get, this is not a feedback thread. Instead it would serve better in the Houses and Landscaping Pictures thread or, at the very least, in the Sims 3 Discussion forums.

At first, I did want to up it to MTS; but rules are rules. I can dig that. I don't get the roof thing. Are flat roofs @ MTS all plain white? I jazzed up my roofs with alternate tiles. I guess people like things vanilla here. *sigh*

Relocate the thread, if you desire.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#16 Old 27th Aug 2015 at 9:00 AM
Default Update
I married. had 6 kids, raised from baby to adult; all took a bed without prompt; access and pathways are all working; all objects are accessible.

No sims-traffic jams so far.