Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:06 PM
Default Single Arch Doorway - Diagonal
A friend is trying to make this very awesome Arch which has bookcases on either side.

He has cloned it from a one tile arch, the reason being that a sim will walk right between the bookcases. It works perfectly. The problem is the diagonal. I can't find any reference to the correct footprint, slots and route entries. They aren't there in TSRW and it isn't generated with S3OC either. Can someone help me find this information or point me in the right direction?
Advertisement
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#2 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Sarane
A friend is trying to make this very awesome Arch which has bookcases on either side.

He has cloned it from a one tile arch, the reason being that a sim will walk right between the bookcases. It works perfectly. The problem is the diagonal. I can't find any reference to the correct footprint, slots and route entries. They aren't there in TSRW and it isn't generated with S3OC either. Can someone help me find this information or point me in the right direction?

Did the original have a diagonal version? What actual arch was it cloned from? Also please do not post the same question in two or more separate sites - the people trying to help you won't know what's already been asked and suggested.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Inge Jones
Did the original have a diagonal version? What actual arch was it cloned from? Also please do not post the same question in two or more separate sites - the people trying to help you won't know what's already been asked and suggested.

Fair enough. I'll just post here.

He cloned the single mission arch. He cloned it with TSRW. I believe it creates a default diagonal, but you can't access it to edit it. So he recloned it and checked the box to make a diagonal. When you do that, there is no slot, footprint or route entry information.
#4 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 8:10 PM
It's ok with windows, but then you don't have to worry about routing and slots with those. Is there any single door or arch at all as far as you know that does have a diagonal in the EA original? Usually the game just turns the straight door diagonal on demand without a special diagonal version, and it "just works". Do you really need a special diagonal model?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 8:23 PM
It's ok with windows, but then you don't have to worry about routing and slots with those. Is there any single door or arch at all as far as you know that does have a diagonal in the EA original? Usually the game just turns the straight door diagonal on demand without a special diagonal version, and it "just works". Do you really need a special diagonal model?

I have cloned all the doors and arches and I can't find one that includes the diagonal information. Well, not all the doors. I have cloned all the doors from the original game and a few from University.

The reason that we need the single diagonal information is that it doesn't work on the diagonal. A sim will not walk through it without the correct information. Because it is a 3 tile arch based on a one tile arch, the default does not work at all. Cloning it on a 3 tile arch causes a routing issue when you place the bookcases.
#6 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 9:26 PM
I just used TSRW to clone a single arch and ticked create a diagonal. It did give me a complete set of footprint, route and slot files. Not sure what went wrong when you did it?

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 10:45 PM Last edited by Sarane : 7th Sep 2013 at 10:55 PM. Reason: add picture
I just used TSRW to clone a single arch and ticked create a diagonal. It did give me a complete set of footprint, route and slot files. Not sure what went wrong when you did it?

And were they positioned correctly? Maybe that is why I am confusing you. I don't have any reference to position the footprint, slots and route entries. When I clone the diagonal, it just puts the same information in as the straight version.

#8 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 10:56 PM
Oh right when you said reference to, I assumed you were talking about the cross-resource references. You mean rather that you are looking for reference material to read about how to edit them?

I think the actual placement footprint will stay as it is - just a single square. The RIG you may be able to adjust simply by rotating the root node/bone whatever, as the other nodes tend to be relative. But you'd be best advised to do that by manual input cos I don't know whether doing it in TSRW's visual interface unlocks it from the dependent positions. With any luck that just leaves the deco slots to adjust and rotate in TSRW - if thats what you used for the bookcases.

If you can find any successful custom door or arch at all with a custom diagonal and see what they set their rigs etc to, that might be one way to go.

btw I'd say you definitely don't want to be making this a triple-tile arch, stick to the single tile base as the sim can only go through in the center anyway. YOu can still make a multi-tile wallmask. If TSRW won't let you, it can still be done with something like TT3.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 1:07 AM
Thank you for your time and suggestions, Inge.
Test Subject
#10 Old 9th Jul 2014 at 12:18 AM
I was just wondering, was this ever finished, and if so, where is it at?? I've been looking for an arch like this for my Victorian homes forever and this is absolutely beautiful! Thanks!
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 12:34 AM
found it here http://www.b-5studio.com/2013/09/cr...hic-part-2.html
scroll down a little