Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 6:41 PM Last edited by Arenalia : 11th Oct 2017 at 4:14 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default TS2 - The solution to have a foundation "garage door" in an apartment ? [Solved - Thanks a lot!]
Hi there, first of all sorry if my English is bad, I'm French so... It's not my native language :')

So, I recently build a lot with a garage in the basement and the entrance of each apartment upstairs in another room.
I know that in order to make the "Garage door + Apartment door" work you have to put the two of them in the same room without any wall which can "separate" them from each other.
I also know that you can build balconies and gardens with fences for each apartments, so you can use a "normal" door trapped thanks to the fences ; The appartment architecture should be valid.

Then, I try to trap the garage doors as if it was a normal door by puting an invisible cc fence in front of each of them. (The red lines, of course)

I also try to use the "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" code and try to use the garage doors as "decorative" and unusable items.

Sadly, it didn't work as I expected... So I had several ideas ;
- Is it possible to change the Garage door category to the normal door one ? (In order to do like balconies or gardens)
- Or to the decoratives category (In order to use them only as a decoration, which seems to be the easiest way to give the illusion of an (un)usable and realistic item)
- If not, is it possible to take the model of the garage door (which is 5x1) and cut it in five 1x1 pieces which work as normal doors to give the illusion of the garage door "without" actually a garage door ?
- Maybe this cut version of the garage door already exist ? (Which I didn't find...)

I hope my English wasn't too bad so you can understand what I said and what I was asking for, have a nice day .

Edit : Oh, and by the way, I've never use SimPE... If someone who knows how it works can explain how to cut the door if I have to do this, if it's not too complicated, I will be really grateful!
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:19 PM
Hi there @Arenaliaa. From what I can see of your pics your apts look awesome. Are you planning on uploading them?

You might get some help here, but I just thought I'd let you know in case you weren't aware that there are two very helpful forums that deal with creating and building. There is the Mentoring for Builders and the Creator Feedback Forum both places have very helpful people who go there to be able to help people in this sorta situation.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 7:53 PM
Thanks a lot @CaliBrat, I don't really know how to upload them but I'll try to do so with the cc content (Just the invisible fence and maybe the garage doors if I find a way to make it work :')).

Also, is it ok if I copy/paste this thread in both of those forums areas ? Or do I need to delete this thread here, chose between the two links that you've sent me and post it there ?

(With the exterior wallpapers it looks like this by the way)

Theorist
#4 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 8:32 PM
A mod would be the better one to ask for that as maybe they could even just move your thread to one of the other places. For what you're wanting I think the Mentorin for Builders would be the better place.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 10:22 PM
@Arenalia your pictures are too small to be seen-well certainly by me. You need to have you garage and apartment both on the same level. Squinting it appears your apartment is up on a foundation-that is your problem, it needs to be flat on the ground.

Also you might prefer to post this in the building forum or building group rather than in help. If this lot is intended for upload please use The Creator Feedback Forum and make sure your pictures do not go under 800 by 600. However the bigger the better. I can move it to CFF if you would like. If it's not for upload posting to one of the other places would be better.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:07 PM
@Joandsarah77 Indeed, my pictures were too small, I edited my post so everyone should be able to see them! And I already copy/paste this thread in the Building group forum so... I think I should delete this thread ? (I don't really know how to do that, I'm quite new on the forum section :/...)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:15 PM
You can post a link to your other thread here if you like. Or if you really want to delete just use the delete button.

It takes a bit of time to get use to these forums.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 4th Oct 2017 at 11:25 PM
I think I'm just gonna post the link here, more people can see my issue then

http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...d=1#post5280349
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 4:16 PM
Hi there, thanks to @HugeLunatic I was able to finally make it works without any "invalid terrain" message or "0 apartment" problem!

So, I just put the invisible fence that I have mentioned earlier (http://modthesims.info/d/179868) not in front of all the Garage doors but BEHIND them in order to put them outside of each apartments!

(Oh and by the way, one of the apartment have a little secret door in order to hide a part of their life that they don't want anyone else to know about. My idea here was to give, for 2 of my Sims, a secret training area and office for their Spies careers)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#10 Old 11th Oct 2017 at 11:20 PM
Interesting, and the garage was still usable? I am assuming the vehicle teleported in and out to the road? I would have thought that with the garage being community area that the sims could not buy and place cars though, or do you place the car before they move in?

~Call me Jo~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 6:59 PM
@Joandsarah77 ; In this case, the "garage floor" where I can place a car by default was in the perfect size to fit in all the indoor garages, adding a invisible fence cut this specific floor so I had to delete them and place the car with MoveObjects on.
If I didn't delete all of them and I ask for my sim to go on the car placed by defaut on them the sim wasn't moving at all and just stand with an action that I can't even delete (because either the car or the garage path were cut by the fence).

Edit : Oh and yup, the car is just teleporting on the road when I use it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#12 Old 12th Oct 2017 at 10:41 PM
Sorry, I am finding that paragraph hard to understand. Is the game seeing the garage as public area and can your sim buy and place a car after moving in?

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#13 Old 13th Oct 2017 at 4:56 AM
@joandsarah77
That bottom floor is just long enough for parking spots, from front wall to back wall. So placing a fence there, stops a car from being placed down the normal way(default) because space is missing for the cars. Cars must then be placed using moveobjects on.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)