Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd May 2018 at 1:36 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Default Replacement Terrain Doesn't Show on Lot View
I wanted to use a default terrain replacement for dirt terrain for one of my hoods, since it's a bit more rural and the sidewalks felt a little weird I tried using Sunni's dirt roads and while it looked great from the neighborhood view, it didn't work at all on the lot view except for the road itself. The actual terrain was default.

I tried another replacement, Criquette's Rural Roads, which had the exact same effect.

I haven't tested Sunni's on lush terrain as of this moment, these were both Dirt replacements. I regenerated groups.cache, the neighbourhood manager, and set simpleterrain to false (though I've never had a problem with low quality textures). I plan on testing if Sunni's terrain replacement will work on Lush terrain but I'd really like to figure out why it won't work on dirt so I don't have to be constantly quitting the game and moving folders between hoods.

(also, sorry about all the trees I went a little wild on the hood deco)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 3rd May 2018 at 2:15 AM
In my own experience, this is what happen. The road replacement I had downloaded long ago, also had different road tiles as floor tiles within the download. You needed to place them to cover up the street in front of your lot, using moveobjects on.
ETA : It was this one.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=212806

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 3rd May 2018 at 2:52 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
In my own experience, this is what happen. The road replacement I had downloaded long ago, also had different road tiles as floor tiles within the download. You needed to place them to cover up the street in front of your lot, using moveobjects on.
ETA : It was this one.
http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=212806

Oh yes, sorry if I wasn't clear, both of these had tiles and they worked fine. I was just getting screenshots for this post in this instance so I didn't bother laying floors down The problem I'm having is the actual grass. You can see around the road (especially the corners) there's green, that's what the terrain is supposed to show up as. It shows fine in neighborhood view but goes back to dirt terrain + default replacement roads when I load a lot.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 3rd May 2018 at 2:56 AM
Oh! I'm sorry. So the greener grass I see should be replaced but is not. Right?
And I guess, you made sure to only have one of the 3 files in your Downloads folder...

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 3rd May 2018 at 3:11 AM
That looks like two conflicting defaults because the maxis grass is nowhere near that green.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2018 at 4:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebine
Oh! I'm sorry. So the greener grass I see should be replaced but is not. Right? And I guess, you made sure to only have one of the 3 files in your Downloads folder...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joandsarah77
That looks like two conflicting defaults because the maxis grass is nowhere near that green.

The green grass is what is supposed to take place of the dirt terrain. (labeled to be extra clear) I've been careful to only have one of the defaults in my game at a time, I really want to use Sunni's but it hadn't been working so I tried Criquette's. It didn't work in the same way, so I googled and found some things that I tried that didn't fix the problem (mentioned in first post)

This is how it's supposed to look on the lot The picture is not mine, I reuploaded it to my imgur but it's from Sunni's original lush default replacement post over at plumb bob keep. The one for the lush replacement is also here on MTS but I used files from another thread (linked in original post) since I'm replacing the dirt terrain.

And here's the different neighborhood views. Without the default:

With the default:

The other default replacement I tried looks the same (except, obviously, different textures)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2018 at 7:05 AM Last edited by gazania : 3rd May 2018 at 7:19 AM.
Reading the posts below Sunni's download, it seems that someone had the same situation; only this person had a desert terrain. Sunni wrote something about deleting the grass image in the package and turning the area around the road invisible. I would guess that means using SimPE.

There were also matching tiles, if I read correctly. I'm not sure about default replacements, but when I want to extend a driveway over the Maxis tiles directly to the road, I have used the boolprop locktiles cheat. You might want to try that first. (boolprop locktiles true/false), I believe.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Undead Molten Llama
#8 Old 3rd May 2018 at 10:43 AM
Looks to me like the dirt-terrain replacement doesn't have the proper (or any) lot-view textures -- they are different from the neighborhood-view ones -- so the game is pulling the Maxis default image. I've had that happen when I've made default terrains -- I've made quite a few now! -- usually because I forgot to commit changes when switching out images in SimPE. Fixing it would require a bit of fiddling in SimPE, but it wouldn't be hard. PM me if you want details on how to do it. I won't bore everyone here.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#9 Old 3rd May 2018 at 3:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by iCad
Looks to me like the dirt-terrain replacement doesn't have the proper (or any) lot-view textures -- they are different from the neighborhood-view ones -- so the game is pulling the Maxis default image. I've had that happen when I've made default terrains -- I've made quite a few now! -- usually because I forgot to commit changes when switching out images in SimPE. Fixing it would require a bit of fiddling in SimPE, but it wouldn't be hard. PM me if you want details on how to do it. I won't bore everyone here.

Ahh I'm glad it's easy enough to fix! Whenever you have a moment I'd appreciate if you could pm me instructions. Also, I'm not sure if the dirt package would have the lot terrain textures included, would I need to download the lush replacement so I could extract them? Thank you very much
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 3rd May 2018 at 3:36 PM
If you talking about road overlays

so, did you must find in Buy Mod > Decorative > Miscellaneous ?

Here is screenshot

And you will need to use the 'moveobjects on' cheat to place the overlay.

I'm sorry if this is wrong
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#11 Old 3rd May 2018 at 5:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alex5
If you talking about road overlays

so, did you must find in Buy Mod > Decorative > Miscellaneous ?

Here is screenshot

And you will need to use the 'moveobjects on' cheat to place the overlay.

I'm sorry if this is wrong

Yep, I have the road overlays (these were floor tiles instead of an object but it's the same kind of thing) I just didn't put them on for these screenshots since I had a different problem
Lab Assistant
#12 Old 3rd May 2018 at 8:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by butler-pate
Yep, I have the road overlays (these were floor tiles instead of an object but it's the same kind of thing) I just didn't put them on for these screenshots since I had a different problem

I hope problem will be solved for you
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#13 Old 3rd May 2018 at 8:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Alex5
I hope problem will be solved for you

Thanks, iCad offered to pm me how to solve it so I should be fixing it pretty soon!
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#14 Old 3rd May 2018 at 10:00 PM
I've always had to delete the road tiles on lot and replace them with a floor tile made to look like a road. Except for that Downtown pavement, which I like and use in Sirencester. Is that what you mean or are you just interested in the grass texture not being right on lot?

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 3rd May 2018 at 11:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by maxon
I've always had to delete the road tiles on lot and replace them with a floor tile made to look like a road. Except for that Downtown pavement, which I like and use in Sirencester. Is that what you mean or are you just interested in the grass texture not being right on lot?

No I had success with the floor tiles, they're just not placed in the images since I only grabbed them for this post and I got a little lazy the problem I'm having is just with the lot textures not showing up, I'm going to try to replace them in SimPE when I get home today.