Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2018 at 8:52 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Make the game run at 144hz?
Hi!
So I just bought a new monitor capable of running at buttery smooth 144hz. Anyways, I got it all setup and tried Sims 4 and 3 to see if they worked fine and saw they both can display 144hz. But when I booted up my loved Sims 2 game I noticed it can only handle up to 100hz. Anyone know how to make it run at 144hz?
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 2nd May 2018 at 1:30 AM
Did you actually try running the game? What happened if and when you did?

Also, you can try this and see if it helps, seeing you have up to Apartment Life, it might work for you.

Graphic Rules Maker
https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedi...patibility-with
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 2nd May 2018 at 9:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by suzymarie64
Did you actually try running the game? What happened if and when you did?

Also, you can try this and see if it helps, seeing you have up to Apartment Life, it might work for you.

Graphic Rules Maker
https://www.simsnetwork.com/simpedi...patibility-with

Yes I ran the game. And I could only set it to 100hz. And I have the UC on origin, and I use Graphic Rules maker, I even tried to create a new graphic rules with it but it still stuck at max 100hz. The other games have no problem at all outputting 144hz, is Sims 2 too old?
Instructor
#4 Old 2nd May 2018 at 1:28 PM
Sorry to say, but if that didn't work, then it probably won't get any better. I'm running Sims on an Intel Chipset and grateful my is running. Graphics aren't the best, but it runs. I also installed M&G and now can't use the Graphic Rule Maker because it's not upgraded for it. Unless someone else can suggest a better fix it is what it is.
Scholar
#5 Old 3rd May 2018 at 12:26 AM
Is there an option to set the game at 72hz? Maybe you can use half the maximum refresh rate, and it will look smooth enough, rather than trying for 144hz?

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Mad Poster
#6 Old 3rd May 2018 at 2:38 AM
Just my two cents, but I've never had a monitor or TV that goes faster than 60hz and the game has always looked just fine that way to me. CPU speed and available memory have made much more difference to Sims 2 on my equipment than monitor refresh rate.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 3rd May 2018 at 2:06 PM
Well I guess 100hz is fine enough. But it does feel like a huge difference being able to play 3 and 4 at 144hz. Just wanted to know if anyone knew if there was a way to make it run at 144hz but I guess it isn't.
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 10:02 AM Last edited by enterprise24 : 24th Aug 2018 at 10:25 AM.
Sorry for thread necro but I hope this will be useful to someone.
You can always run the game in windowed mode so it run at your native refresh rate. Try add -w on your Sims 2 launcher
Then use borderless gaming app to force the game into borderless windowed.
Work wonderfully with my S2716DG 1440p 144Hz.
Scholar
#9 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 7:34 PM
just out of curiosity - does the game even render natively with more than 30fps? (the display refresh rate is the different beast)

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#10 Old 24th Aug 2018 at 10:49 PM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla
just out of curiosity - does the game even render natively with more than 30fps? (the display refresh rate is the different beast)

Is that the same as the little numbers you see in Fraps? Because mine usually runs at 60 fps

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Lab Assistant
#11 Old 25th Aug 2018 at 10:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ElaineNualla

Yes. TS2 3 4 looks much more smooth with 144fps than 30 or 60fps.
There is a widespread myth that all Sims engine can't render more than 30 or 60fps which is not true at all.
Scholar
#12 Old 27th Aug 2018 at 1:46 PM
it wasn't my point, my bad for not being clear. I wasn't asking about display device quality impact (however my older and older eyes are not really seeing anything better beyond ca. 60Hz ingame, I can see the difference in a spreadsheet at work, though) or even GPU capabilites.
I was asking about internal game design principles, or 'how the game's internal architecture sets its default "clocks" for animations etc.' They're usually oriented around expected base rendering rate. Pure curiosity.

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"