Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 7:06 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Laptop shuts down after sims 2 + 3
Okay so , a few weeks ago , i fixed my smooth edges with the leefish method but from that whenever i tried to play my sims , it overheated my laptop and crashed and i whenever i try save in sims 3 my laptop crashes . I'm willing to try get rid of the smooth edges to fix this , i know it might be that because before i fixed the smooth edges everything was fine , my laptop wasn't overheating or anything . My laptop doesn't crash when im on chrome or anything . I've tried putting the graphics on low on both games and it hasn't worked .
Anyone know how to fix this ? Thanks ! And yes , i do have cc on both games , sims 3 not so much , sims 2 .. around 16,000 files if that helps .
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 7:20 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm more familiar with TS3, but not TS2. Perhaps someone else can answer for you considering TS2.

In TS3, I'm not sure what you mean "fixed my smooth edges," most common overheating with TS3 has to do with runaway FPS on newer GPUs since TS3 doesn't have an FPS limiter.

1)But I absolutely have no idea what your system specs are, so it would help if you provide the "deviceconfig" log file from your TS3 user folder (My documents\Electroni.... etc...).

2) Can you only describe the symptoms on TS3, not TS2 so there won't be confusion.

I'll look for my laptop specs
Sorry for that , i meant that i fixed my sims 2 smooth edges but both of my games make my computer overheat
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 7:32 PM
Operating system : Windows 7 home premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601)
System manufacturer : TOSHIBA
System model : Satellite A660
BIOS : Phoenix Secucore Version 2.30
Processor : Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M370 @ 2.40GHZ (4 CPUs),~2.4GHz
Memory : 4096MB RAM
Page file : 4327 MB used , 3452 MB available
Directx Version : Directx11

Name : Intel(R) HD Graphics
Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
Chip type : Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i3)
DAC Type : Internal
Approx. Total Memory : 1696MB
Current Display Mode : 1360 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor : Generic PnP Monitor
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#5 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 7:44 PM
I'm not surprised that you can't play sims safely on that laptop - it has integrated graphics, and a fairly weak variety of them too. It's unlikely that you'll be able to get TS3 running again, especially if you have EPs, but you might be able to manage TS2 - though you should be aware that your laptop is dying, and if you need it for work/school and can't afford to replace it, you might wanna put the gaming on hold for a bit while you save up.

If you're okay with the risk, though, then run through the stuff suggested here: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki. Getting your laptop cleaned will probably make a big big difference, so that's a good option if you can manage it. A computer shutting itself down is a failsafe mechanism in case it overheats too much, so all the stuff about airflow and short play sessions is important.

If you do decide to try playing TS3 again, you should definitely follow nitro's advice and use an FPS limiter.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 7:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nysha
I'm not surprised that you can't play sims safely on that laptop - it has integrated graphics, and a fairly weak variety of them too. It's unlikely that you'll be able to get TS3 running again, especially if you have EPs, but you might be able to manage TS2 - though you should be aware that your laptop is dying, and if you need it for work/school and can't afford to replace it, you might wanna put the gaming on hold for a bit while you save up.

If you're okay with the risk, though, then run through the stuff suggested here: Game Help:Onboard Graphicswiki. Getting your laptop cleaned will probably make a big big difference, so that's a good option if you can manage it. A computer shutting itself down is a failsafe mechanism in case it overheats too much, so all the stuff about airflow and short play sessions is important.

If you do decide to try playing TS3 again, you should definitely follow nitro's advice and use an FPS limiter.

I'll try use the FPS limiter , where can I find one for Sims 3 ? Thanks for the help btw
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 7:58 PM
Hi,

May I ask for a little more information?

1) How old is your laptop? Do you clean the air vents regularly? If not, remember it is important to regularly clean your air vents and fan with compressed air to keep the airflow clean.

2) How do you know your laptop is overheating? Are you running any monitor programs such as CPUTEMP, CPU-Z, or GPU-Z? Can you tell whether it is the GPU or CPU that is overheating? (EDIT: Ahhhhh .... After reading Nysha's post, she is correct. It is not important whether GPU or CPU is overheating, they're integrated.)

Systems today are designed to throttle (both Intel HD GPU and your i3 CPU), it means when it overheats, your system will drop the power usage, reducing speed to cool. So this shouldn't crash your game, unless... the overheating is severe.

Quick ways to cool down your system:
1) Change your power setting to "recommended" instead of "max performance." This will usually reduce the maximum power usage. (You can also manually set it, but that would require some tech background)

2) Run TS2 and TS3 in "windowed" mode. This will usually cut the GPU/CPU usage down, performance will be reduced but game will run much more cooler.

My laptop is 4 years old , atleast i think . I know , it's old . But it's all i have .

How do I change the power setting to recommended?

I am trying to get it to work in windowed mode but when i try change it to windowed it doesn't work , i'll try again now though . (nevermind , that method only works on sims 2 , i found out how to do it now)
Test Subject
Original Poster
#10 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 8:34 PM
Try 1 and 2 above first since you can test those right away.

For intel HD, I think Afterburner could do it. But I've never tried it since I have a Nvidia so I use inspector.

Afterburner

Your laptop is fine, the reason I ask is simply most people don't have a habit of cleaning their laptop. 4 years could accumulate a lot of dust.

Left click on the battery icon. It will tell you which setting it is on. You can then click for the one you want.

That's odd, it usually works better in windowed mode. In both TS2 and TS3, you can enter windowed mode by modifying the shortcut target to include "-w"

Example:
Target: "C:\program files\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\Bin\TS3W.EXE" -w

In TS3, there is a 2nd method: you can also edit the "options.ini" file in your user folder and find:

fullscreen = 1

and change to

fullscreen = 0

I changed it to windowed mode , it did run smoother but it didn't work , i rebooted my laptop just a while ago .
I will ask to get my laptop cleaned out .
I was thinking about restarting my whole laptop so it could be kinda like starting a new user , would that help the used RAM go down , or will it stay the same even though everything's gone?
Mad Poster
#11 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 8:54 PM
Just wanted to add that if your laptop starts shutting down on its own or starts overheating after running more heavy-duty programs, and on a reguar basis, there's a chance it's heading for a crash. You probably should take backups of any important files, including your games and downloads. Hunting down everything after a crash is tiresome, and so is starting over. Do so now, while the laptop still works, and on a regular basis after that if you add more things or do changes in your game you want to keep in the future.
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#12 Old 13th Jun 2015 at 8:58 PM
Resetting your laptop and getting rid of all the programs etc won't make a difference - it would clear out lots of hard drive space, but RAM is only affected by what you have running right now this minute, not all the stuff that's on your computer but not currently being used.

One thing that a reset would help with is clearing out any background programs you have running like printer software, security software, IM, desktop utilities etc. But there are much easier ways of doing that, so I wouldn't reset the laptop *just* to try to improve sims performance.

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#14 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 1:38 PM
I really have no idea why you cannot run in windowed mode, it should be easier to run windowed mode.

However, I'm curious, how do you know your system shutdowns and game crashes are overheating related? Perhaps I missed something you've said, but I don't think we've ever confirmed it was overheating.

If you are using a temp monitor program, please let us know so we can confirm otherwise, I recommend getting either GPU-Z , CPU-Z or CoreTemp .

In the mean time, please post your deviceconfig. It is a log file located in your My Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\ folder. Open it with notepad and copy the top portion including the graphics detail and paste it here. This will tell us not only what your system has, but what is TS3 exactly running so we can get a better confirmation what is going on with your system.

=== Application info ===
Name: Sims3
Version:
Build: Release
=== Rating info ===
GPU: 3 GPU Memory: 4 CPU: 3 RAM: 4 CPU Speed: 2394 Threading: 3
Adjusted CPU: 2792 RAM: 3890 Adjusted RAM: 3378 Cores: 2
=== Machine info ===
OS version: Windows Vista 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2
OS prod type: 0
OS major ver: 6
OS minor ver: 0
OS SP major ver: 2
OS SP minor ver: 0
OS is 64Bit: 1
CPU: GenuineIntel
Brand: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz
Family: 6
Model: 5
Cores: 2
HT: 1
x64: 0
Memory: 3890MB
Free memory: 2504MB
User: Mirella
Computer: MIRELLA-PC
=== Graphics device info ===
Number: 0
Name (driver): Intel(R) HD Graphics
Name (database): Havendale [Found: 1, Matched: 1]
Vendor: Intel
Chipset: Vendor: 8086, Device: 0046, Board: fd311179, Chipset: 0002
Driver: igdumdx32.dll, Version: 8.15.10.2559, GUID: D7B78E66-4306-11CF-367B-3BDDA2C2C535
Driver version: 2559
Monitor: \\.\DISPLAY1
Texture memory: 1696MB
Vertex program: 3.0
Pixel program: 3.0
Hardware TnL: 1
=== Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 1
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 1
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 1
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 248
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 96
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 1
EdgeScrollingWarning 0
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 37
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 0
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 1
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
=== Default Options ===
AnimationSmoothing 1
LightingQuality 2
GeneralReflections 1
TextureQuality 2
VisualEffects 2
TerrainQuality 1
EdgeSmoothing 0
ObjectHiding 1
AspectRatio 0
ForceSquarePixels 1
SimQuality 2
TreeQuality 2
DrawDistance 2
MaxActiveLots 2
NumMaxActiveLotOptions 6
AdvancedRendering 1
AudioQuality 3
AudioOutputMode 1
VoiceLevel 255
SoundFXLevel 255
MusicLevel 255
AmbientLevel 255
FocusMute 1
VoiceMute 0
SoundFXMute 0
MusicMute 0
AmbientMute 0
EdgeScrolling 0
EdgeScrollingWarning 1
SupressOpportunityDialogs 0
SuppressOpportunityDialogsWarningProducts 0
SimWhileMinimized 0
TwelveHourClock 1
ShowPlacementGrid 0
AutonomyLevel 2
DisableAutonomyForSelectedSim 0
PetAutonomyLevel 2
AgingInterval 2
EnableAging 1
EnableTutorial 1
EnableIntroTutorial 1
EnableTombResets 1
EnableInGameStore 1
EnableTelemetry 1
EnableMemories 1
AgingStageLengthBaby 3
AgingStageLengthToddler 7
AgingStageLengthChild 7
AgingStageLengthTeen 14
AgingStageLengthYoungAdult 21
AgingStageLengthAdult 21
AgingStageLengthElder 17
EnableInteractiveLoading 1
AgingStageLengthPuppy 0
AgingStageLengthDogAdult 0
AgingStageLengthDogElder 0
AgingStageLengthKitten 0
AgingStageLengthCatAdult 0
AgingStageLengthCatElder 0
AgingStageLengthFoal 0
AgingStageLengthHorseAdult 0
AgingStageLengthHorseElder 0
LunarCycleLength 3
LunarPhaseLength 0
EnableLunarCycle 1
EnableLunarPhase 0
EnableStoryProgression 1
EnableVampires 1
EnableWerewolves 1
EnablePets 1
EnableCelebrities 1
EnableFairies 1
EnableWitches 1
EnableHorses 1
EnableOptOutCeleb 0
ReceiveConnectTNS 1
ReceivedDevGift 0
PostFilterFlags 0
RequireLoginBeforeLoad 0
SummerLength 7
FallLength 7
WinterLength 7
SpringLength 7
SummerEnabled 1
FallEnabled 1
WinterEnabled 1
SpringEnabled 1
IsCelcius 0
FogEnabled 1
RainEnabled 1
SnowEnabled 1
HailEnabled 1
InvertHorizontalRotation 0
InvertVerticalRotation 0
VideoCaptureSize 1
VideoCaptureQuality 2
VideoCaptureSound 0
VideoCaptureTime 60
VideoCaptureHideUI 1
Mad Poster
#15 Old 15th Jun 2015 at 9:03 PM
I am not a technical computer fundi, but if it ran well and then stopped running well, I'd have all the hardware checked - memory, power supply, battery, etc. etc. etc.