Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:09 AM
Default Things You Appreciate Seeing in CC
Since occasionally in the Pet Peeves thread we talk about practices we don't like in downloaded custom content, here's one to talk about the things you do like to see. A few for me:

No CC community lots
I'll overlook a lot having CC if it's good enough, but for me, the less CC the better. That stuff really clogs up your download folders after a while.

Maxian humour in object descriptions
It's easy enough to just put "made by [creator]" in the description and I don't fault them for it - I'd probably do it myself. But if they go to the effort of writing a description, it makes me appreciate it more. Even better is if it matches up with Maxis's style of humour.

I'll post more if I think of them.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:23 AM
I really like it when really nice, clean patterns are used, without pixelation. I especially appreciate it when the patterns tile seamlessly (when tiling is present anyway!) and appear in the right proportions. It's easy to create stretched patterns by accident when making walls for example and some other types of mesh. I like it when the creator has noticed that and gone to the trouble to fix it.

I like it when clothing meshes come with maternity meshes. I especially like it if those maternity meshes are well made and reflect how clothing would drape over a bump, rather than just magically sucking itself around the bump, and the bump bending in weird ways when the sims move (I also don't mind clothing without maternity meshes, I have enough with, it's just a nice bonus.)

I like it when clothing meshes have sims with believable width of arms, legs and waists!

I use the sims as a psychology simulator...
Field Researcher
#3 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:34 AM
Whatever I'm downloading is self-contained in that download, without needing to download any other items from sites/creators that don't let their things be included in another download.

For example, if someone creates a 'base game 4 bedroom starter house for your large family of limited means,' I probably won't download it if the door, houselight, toilet, etc., has to be downloaded separately from another site.
Forum Resident
#4 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:39 AM
I appreciate creators taking the time to write clear mod descriptions, installation instructions (if more than "just put it in Downloads" is necessary"), and lists of known conflicts. Going beyond that to include instructions on how to make changes to the mod is wonderful. In my archives, I keep the descriptions from web pages in a text file in the folder with the mod if the creator hasn't included a readme file with that information in the download itself.

With recolours, I find clearly named packages and labelled swatches with the download to be helpful. Even if I love all the colours, I prefer to add only the ones I am most likely to use to my game.
Alchemist
#5 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 12:43 AM
I like it when creators name their CC things that play well with the game, (no spaces between words, and no special characters).
Mad Poster
#6 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:08 AM
When they tell us the polycounts, and do the best to keep them low.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Instructor
#7 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:10 AM
I like it when cc previews show the things exactly how they look in-game, or they give you an unedited picture to have a better idea on how it's going to be without a crap-ton of filters and stuff. It's the main reason I took so long to find skin and eye defaults, until I got something that looked nice.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:17 AM
And they show the whole thing, not just pieces of it!

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#9 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:24 AM
I do like it when creators take the time to make a decent description for the item in-game. Just saying "Made by <name>" feels really cheap and it sticks out like a sore thumb in the catalog. Cyjon did a good job of this with his Debugger and Job Stopinator, which have at least some form of humour or enjoyability about them. For mods, I appreciate having some form of detailed documentation, whether it be on their website or in a text file zipped up along with the .package files in question (Pescado generally failed at this one; some of his mods did lots of things that the docs never mentioned, if there was documentation to begin with). For lots, I like no CC lots in general, because I like having stuff that's ready to play right out of the box.
Theorist
#10 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:24 AM
Functionality - much prefer downloading objects that have some sort of purpose and enhance gameplay/give my sims something else to do. I have long since passed the point of needing to download a bunch of useless deco only items (save for book clutter...that addiction is still strong). So, I really appreciate it when a creator goes the extra mile and makes an item functional.

“Seize the time... Live now! Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.” ― Jean-Luc Picard
Alchemist
#11 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by stitching
With recolours, I find clearly named packages and labelled swatches with the download to be helpful.

This, so much! It's always a pain when I have to open up sims 2 installer to figure out which recolors are which. Or worse, if I have to open up the game and delete things from in there because the creator used their own color actions and didn't provide a swatch. So I appreciate creators who take the time to name and label everything appropriately. And speaking of that, my list:

1. Naming the file correctly, in game and out. Creators who take the time to make sure labels come up in CAS--I really, really appreciate that. It comes in handy when I'm trying to find problems or even just weed out hair recolors I don't need.
2.Creators who put their name on the folders and zip files! I wanna know who did what, where I can find stuff if there's a problem, and, of course, what's in the folder. When I'm downloading a bunch of files, it's nice not to have to stop and rename or backtrack to the preview page to get the name of the creator or site.
3. Creators who take preview pictures and package them in with their files! I know it's a lot of extra work but I really appreciate creators who take the time to let simmers know what they're getting when they download. Plus, when they package preview pics together, not only does it help you organize your download folder, letting you know exactly what set it is you're looking at later, but if the pictures get lost (like with photo bucket) or if the download gets moved because the site goes under, people can know what they're getting without looking in the game.

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 1:34 AM
Another thing I love is when downloading a set of items, the creator putting them into subfolders. Sometimes I flatten it but it's a lot easier than sorting things back in.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Forum Resident
#13 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
I like it when creators name their CC things that play well with the game, (no spaces between words, and no special characters).

And short file names. There is someone who does recolors and I love their stuff, but I have to constantly rename the files and folders because I get an error that they're too long.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:33 AM
Thank you Ihate for starting this thread. I see it becoming more than helpful as I might upload more and more.

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Instructor
#15 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:39 AM
I like when hair meshes are animated. It's such a small detail, but I just love when it moves when a sim is doing something. Why don't they add it more often? It's sad when an old hair has movement, but a really new one doesn't. Real hair moves, dagnabbit!
Mad Poster
#16 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 3:57 AM
When creators do the following:
- Use short and descriptive file names
- Don't use special characters (- _ are fine)
- Put their name in the file, preferably as the first word in the filename
- Use proper tooltips (preferably the full name of the file) for CAS items
- Put their name somewhere in the description ingame for objects, and keep it short (I have no clue how many files by "HystericalParoxysm-DemusedSims" I've had to reame to "HP" to make them short enough for subfoldering, particularly since they've always insisted on making the filename at least 3-4 times longer than their name alone. Sorry, HP, but the filenames are just too long for my liking, and their name is the best example...).
- Sort their items into proper categories ingame
- Say where the item can be found ingame
- Don't do unneccessary subfoldering in their zip files (I don't want to have to click on 4 different folders for a familied hair, or have to look through three layers to find the files I'm looking for - if you name files properly you don't need ten layers of subfoldering).

I don't mind if there aren't creative descriptions for objects ingame. I'm more interested in info that can help me relocate the file if I want to remove or change it.
Mad Poster
#17 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:07 AM Last edited by Rosebine : 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:31 AM.
So..you would not like the way I name my clothing. My name is at the end, and the names are long. Though I never thought I would share my creations, so I named them for my own use..
FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
MESH_FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
Oh..and tooltip in Bodyshop..good point! I should do this..though now, I don't know if I can add them
I found how to add them
@simmer22

Je mange des girafes et je parle aussi français !...surtout :0)

Find all my old MTS Uploads, on my SFS, And all new uploads Here . :)
Forum Resident
#18 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:50 AM
Quote: Originally posted by inspiredzone
And short file names. There is someone who does recolors and I love their stuff, but I have to constantly rename the files and folders because I get an error that they're too long.

I get the same messages. Love the recolors, the file names not so much. On a positive note, creator is consistent in naming, which makes bulk renaming the files easy. I think MTS must automatically add the creators name to the beginning of a folder because many are named "MTS_CreatorsName_LongFileNameHere - Color_by CreatorsName."

Which leads me to my love list:
** I love how MTS file names are consistent, beginning with MTS_CreatorsName . . . I now use that as my standard, even with files I get elsewhere. Site_CreatorsName_Item. That way, I know where I got the files that are inside each folder and who made them.
** I love it when creators include jpg pics in the file for easy identification.
** I love it when creators makes lots of individual files for the same object in a bunch of colors. That way, I can pick & choose which to add to my game.
** I also love it when creators put all their files for a set into a single zip file AND offer them separately. That way, if a set includes a crib, high chair, child's bed, dresser and matching tub, I can download only what I want or the whole set in a single file.
** I love when creators give a brief but descriptive name to their file that is something other than "abc123z9y8x7w6v5u4t3pqr456."
** I love when creators tell you what mod (or types of mods) does or might conflict with their download (provided they know).
** Most of all, I love it when creators keep making new stuff for The Sims 2!

So many things to learn; so few brain cells to process the info needed to learn things!
Shipwreck Island
Mad Poster
#19 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 4:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Rosebine
FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package
MESH_FemaleAdultBody-PatchworkSkirtJeanJacket_By_Rosie.package

I'd shorten that to:

AFpatchworkskirtRosie
MESHAFpatchworkskirtRosie

I have a silly aversion to putting my name on my CC. It seems like I'm bragging. XD
Mad Poster
#20 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 5:50 AM
I love CC that makes EAxis content accessible without a Sim having to be present- things like the unlocked career and aspiration rewards have worked wonders for my CC-free building philosophy!

Welcome to the Dark Side...
We lied about having cookies.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:16 AM
The unlocked career rewards are so important in my game these days, I love them.

I like it when creators slave things to maxi stuff. I hate it if they slave it to something they assume everyone has (that may be everyone but me, but still). I don't care how pretty something is, if I have to start clikcing around on it to find the perfect clicking spot, it gets replaced by something Maxis made).
Mad Poster
#22 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Zarathustra
I love CC that makes EAxis content accessible without a Sim having to be present- things like the unlocked career and aspiration rewards have worked wonders for my CC-free building philosophy!

But technically that's not CC free is it. :P
Mad Poster
#23 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:45 AM
It's not bragging to sign your work, Charity.
I like clear, visible thumbnails so that I can tell what even small things are when I'm scanning the catalog.

Mad Poster
#24 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 7:56 AM
Never mind a working pregnancy morph, a working fat morph does me -- especially on separates. There's nothing worse than the top and the bottom not matching up because the Sim has put on a bit of weight!

I also appreciate informative tooltips in Body Shop stuff.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2017 at 11:05 AM
I appreciate it when downloading a lot that there's 2 options (such as Jodelie does) to have a decorated lot, or an empty lot. That way you can choose to have all that extra CC or not. Also when you're looking at a lot, that there's a set of pictures of it from the top, bottom, inside and out, and if there's a basement. (I hate basements!). Plus the size of the download is really helpful to figure out if you really want all that extra stuff in it..

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Page 1 of 5