Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
#11401 Old 18th Dec 2018 at 11:54 PM
Quote: Originally posted by pretenshus
Today I discovered anything and everything I make or edit heavily will undoubtedly have routing issues

Don't think it's just you. I made a bar in the corner of a room. The only access to it was through a door in back. My Sim couldn't figure it out even with walk here commands. He'd just do that I can't walk there. Even when I walked him to the door and gave the command to go on the other side he rerouted back then complained he couldn't get there. I just now make fences and put the bar through the fence. Sims are not teh greatest at pathfinding.

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#11402 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 6:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy

Don't think it's just you. I made a bar in the corner of a room. The only access to it was through a door in back. My Sim couldn't figure it out even with walk here commands. He'd just do that I can't walk there. Even when I walked him to the door and gave the command to go on the other side he rerouted back then complained he couldn't get there. I just now make fences and put the bar through the fence. Sims are not teh greatest at pathfinding.

Maybe you are not aware of the extra space you need for the footpathing than just the object itself. An example is similar to a seam allowance when sewing clothing. If you go the exact measurements it usually will not fit as well. The same ideology applies when building and/or decorating in The Sims. Through trial and error, anyone can learn how to build efficiently if you pay attention. The game isn't usually able to map out confusing and/or bad routing which is caused by the player. It's not difficult to figure out the capabilities of the game's routing system to prevent such issues. However, some prefer to be overly ambitious and ignore the limits of what can and cannot be done and just blame it on the game than their own stubbornness.

I'm sure those who are great at building wouldn't mind helping others with hints and tips about placement, etc. And no, I'm not a great builder but I'm quite observant and usually a problem solver so I can figure out and understand something that might perplex me. The routing in TS3 is not bad at all, though like with most features always has room for improvement and advancement. However, there is no future for The Sims as it stands now, the way I see it.

Anyway, I would be curious to know just exactly how you are positioning the bar in the corner of the room but you show no example.
Scholar
#11403 Old 19th Dec 2018 at 8:24 PM
ALSO Nraas copy skintone for when you're setting up a cultural world - u - so much time could have been saved. I stopped doing cultural worlds at one point because I was putting all the sims into cas
Scholar
#11404 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Deshong
Maybe you are not aware of the extra space you need for the footpathing than just the object itself. An example is similar to a seam allowance when sewing clothing. If you go the exact measurements it usually will not fit as well. The same ideology applies when building and/or decorating in The Sims. Through trial and error, anyone can learn how to build efficiently if you pay attention. The game isn't usually able to map out confusing and/or bad routing which is caused by the player. It's not difficult to figure out the capabilities of the game's routing system to prevent such issues. However, some prefer to be overly ambitious and ignore the limits of what can and cannot be done and just blame it on the game than their own stubbornness.

I'm sure those who are great at building wouldn't mind helping others with hints and tips about placement, etc. And no, I'm not a great builder but I'm quite observant and usually a problem solver so I can figure out and understand something that might perplex me. The routing in TS3 is not bad at all, though like with most features always has room for improvement and advancement. However, there is no future for The Sims as it stands now, the way I see it.

Anyway, I would be curious to know just exactly how you are positioning the bar in the corner of the room but you show no example.

This is what I mean by corner. That way I can control who can have access to the bar. Otherwise Sims have a habit of being hyper focused on the bar rather then needs. Doesn't matter if it's a full island bar or like this. I need to place the fence or the sim can't figure it out. Walk him all the way around, then he talks the long way back into the main room and throws that sim I can't walk here fit. Seriously if humans where like Sims we'd be extinct a long time ago.

PS: Sorry about the clutter I bought the house and it had this HUGE third floor that was empty in matter of fact despite the size it was a kleptos biggest let down.
Screenshots

Disclaimer: I am just being a goof ball, please ignore me if offended.
Forum Resident
#11405 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 5:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by DrowningFishy
This is what I mean by corner. That way I can control who can have access to the bar. Otherwise Sims have a habit of being hyper focused on the bar rather then needs. Doesn't matter if it's a full island bar or like this. I need to place the fence or the sim can't figure it out. Walk him all the way around, then he talks the long way back into the main room and throws that sim I can't walk here fit. Seriously if humans where like Sims we'd be extinct a long time ago.

PS: Sorry about the clutter I bought the house and it had this HUGE third floor that was empty in matter of fact despite the size it was a kleptos biggest let down.

Problem: Irresponsible use of moveobjects on (moo)
What's the specific issue? You should not block any objects footprint because it will usually cause routing issues. This is not the fault of the game and there is an important reason why the bright green squares are highlighted to show the player each objects space requirements in order to function correctly.

There's usually more than one way to place objects correctly but this is one example. The highlighted green squares should not be intersecting/overlapping with other green squares for the best results concerning routing if using moo.
Alchemist
#11406 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 5:48 PM
Sometimes you need to know how certain objects work as well; dressers, for example, have a 2x1 footprint yet require at least 2x2 tiles of space (for a 2-tile-wide dresser) to be used - and I'd argue even 2x3 if you don't want clipping, for when sims play the "drawer got stuck" animation and fall backwards.

Counters as well, though I suppose EA didn't give them a 1x2 footprint so as not to require MOO to place them in a 90-degree formation.

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Lab Assistant
#11407 Old 20th Dec 2018 at 11:34 PM Last edited by PizzaPartyForever : 20th Dec 2018 at 11:51 PM.
today i learned this that sims are too stupid to open a garage door by themselves, you have to click on it and manually open it if they want to use the door as an actual door. i learned this 96% of the way through building a garage apartment for my sim and then having to hastily ad on an ugly back door so the dipsh*t wouldn't somehow manage to starve himself to death in a completely unlocked room.
Mad Poster
#11408 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 12:18 AM
I discovered today that if I didn't use MasterController's Stylist function by default, I'd have to wait 2 minutes each time I wanted to provide a Sim with new clothes. Good god.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Forum Resident
#11409 Old 21st Dec 2018 at 9:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GrijzePilion
I discovered today that if I didn't use MasterController's Stylist function by default, I'd have to wait 2 minutes each time I wanted to provide a Sim with new clothes. Good god.

More often than not, I just straight up use "Edit in CAS" because I'm having to perform plastic surgery on top of everything else. I do use Stylist if I want to give them more than one outfit though.

I discovered in my own game that I've grown an appreciation for how in TS3 that EA at least tried to provide some semblance of unique and ordinary, instead of everyone having just stepped out of Vogue or being a Giorgio Armani model on the side. For all the hate that TS3 gets over "pudding faces" they sure are more endearing, to me at least.

Speaking of which, I've never quite understood how that became such a huge overstatement. Some do look quite unfortunate before "tweaking" but to me that's the fun part. The problem lies with the fact that EA didn't design any specific algorithm to handle slider randomization for new sims, it just picks from the same preset everytime. And for sims they created, the premades, that's only because they under utilized the sliders beyond making their noses slightly longer or shorter than base sim one. If some actual effort is put into it, you can create some good looking sims with even just what the game itself gives you before CC/Custom Sliders.

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Lab Assistant
#11410 Old 1st Jan 2019 at 6:52 AM
Underage drinking. What a way to celebrate the new year

Space Pony
#11411 Old 3rd Jan 2019 at 7:21 PM
Cats can sleep on end tables, if you don't have an object in the center of the table
Field Researcher
#11412 Old 4th Jan 2019 at 3:06 AM
If your house has a fire, sometimes a neighbor or a passable will run to your lot and look into your windows/doors in horror.
Field Researcher
#11413 Old 6th Jan 2019 at 1:49 PM
Not so much what I've discovered in my game as such, but as I sit here watching It Takes a Killer on Amazon Prime, I've discovered that the Sims games have taught me a lot about American housing styles.

.:: B2SIMS.com ::.
Field Researcher
#11414 Old 7th Jan 2019 at 2:47 PM
I just noticed you can preview meshes in s3pe. That is amazing, making content just became easier.
Instructor
#11415 Old 8th Jan 2019 at 8:05 AM
Today I discovered that building a foundation (1st level) then walls on it (as a 2nd level) is not the same height as building walls (1st level) and then foundation on top of it (2nd level with "placefriezes on" cheat). The frieze-ed one is higher.
(They can be levelled to be the same height by CFE though.)
Forum Resident
#11416 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 1:50 AM
I just discovered that a childish adult sim with a teddy bear in the inventory will still wake up with the cuddle time moodlet.
Inventor
#11417 Old 12th Jan 2019 at 3:39 AM
Some of us know The Sims 3 originally had clothing store rabbit holes, what I didn't realize until today was that the mesh for the clothing store rabbit hole was later used for the spa, with some changes like the mannequins being removed and a completely different texture for the interior and parts of the exterior.
Site Helper
#11418 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 4:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lfria
I just discovered that a childish adult sim with a teddy bear in the inventory will still wake up with the cuddle time moodlet.

They can also get the duck time moodlet from playing with the rubber duck in the tub. ( I love Childish sims! Especially when they get some of the more serious sims roped into playing a game of tag...)

(I suppose I'm probably Childish myself.)

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Lab Assistant
#11419 Old 13th Jan 2019 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lfria

Aww that's really sweet.
Scholar
#11420 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 1:22 AM
More of a rediscovery but Transmorgrifier (spelled wrong probably) plus the supernatural rabbithole combos is a godsend. I have small lots that only fit base game but went from having 4 rabbitholes to 7 which honestly makes a huge difference for a small world with limited space.
Test Subject
#11421 Old 18th Jan 2019 at 7:18 AM
Just went to the theater and saw a movie, and I noticed there was 'Explosions 2: Bigger, Better, Louder'. Obviously it was directed by Michael Bay.
Forum Resident
#11422 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 5:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ghost sdoj
I suppose I'm probably Childish myself.

It's funny, because although I don't think of myself as "childish" per se, I do have a lot of tendencies that make people think otherwise. I watch and play many of the same things I did growing up. I still love my favorite cereal and things like gummy bears. And to some people I know, I've never quite grown up in the first place because I can make a joke and laugh at almost anything. Why do I still do all of that you ask? Because it makes me happy. Isn't that what everyone wants in their life? And for someone with crippling depression and anxiety, literally waking up sometimes and feeling as if every day is just the same drudge to go through and everyone's out to get you, you'll take what you can get to make you feel happy.

There's a George Bernard Shaw quote that's always resonated with me, and it's so true really.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old. We grow old because we stop playing."

You have been chosen. They will come soon.
Site Helper
#11423 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 6:39 PM
I stopped quibbling about being Childish years ago when my Verse of the Day was "At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, “Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?” He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

I read that, and realized "Become like little children, huh? I'm already doing that!"
And I really understand about crippling depression. I don't have anxiety along with it (I go a bit too far in the opposite direction...) but I battle depression, too.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Scholar
#11424 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 10:57 PM
I don not have so much experience whit TS 3 but I guess you know this.

Anyway, I did not know that sims in TS3 could be so...emitional...I thought the case from last week was a hickup but today I did see the same thing from an other sim. The woman was on the computer, chatting and all of the sudden she began to slam her head down on the keyboard. Hard! She probebly did slam her head 3 or 4 times before going back to what she were doing. And me:
Mad Poster
#11425 Old 19th Jan 2019 at 11:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simgamer18955
Underage drinking. What a way to celebrate the new year

Eh, he looks more than old enough to drink.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Page 457 of 490