Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Inventor
#101 Old 13th Jan 2010 at 8:23 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
its not about belief.
a zygote is not a baby. to equate the two is to say that a wheel is a car. or that a piece of blank paper is a work of art.
a zygote doesn't feel, think, talk, or actually do much other than fester in the womb until it actually becomes what most sane people identify as a baby.

to say a zygote is a baby, in short, is skipping quite a few significant steps. jumping the gun. counting chickens before they hatch. morphing one thing into another.

You're right, a zygote is not yet feeling or thinking. But a 'fetus' as you put it at 20 weeks along is. You said that a baby is not a baby until it's born. I disagree on that point. This is not to say I think a zygote is a baby, but I certainly believe a baby growing in their mother's womb has feelings and thoughts by the time the baby has reached a certain point in it's development, after the brain, heart and other internal organs are functioning.
Advertisement
Banned
#102 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 12:05 AM
Okay. So here's the opinion of a real teen almost-parent. OF TWINS. And I'm 14.

I was at a party, got drunk and slept with my best friend, which was kind of a shocker seeing as he was my BEST FRIEND. Someone I played Marco Polo with the day before. When I realised that I was pregnant, he freaked out and proposed to me. I said yes, because in my town, it's the 'proper' thing to do.

Then my mom kicked me out a week later, and I went back to school (boarding school, of course) and got kicked out there after they searched my harddrive and found my thread in The Teen Club asking for advice. So me, my fiance, and my best friend all went to live in another small farming town one province over with my childhood friend, her brother and her mom. We didn't even consider an abortion, that's cruelty and murder in my opinion. The thought of it makes me sick, and I don't care what other people think.

I believe that if a person feels that they are mature enough for sex (and yes, ours was protected, it's just that it failed), then should feel that they are mature enough for the possible consequences. It doesn't matter how my twins were conceived, as long as I love them and feel supported enough. When they are born in August, they will be the most loved out of all my future children because God blessed me with them and they are people no matter what. How would you have liked it if it was your own child, and you murder it, this blessing that has a purpose? I believe that all babies, all fetuses have a purpose in life, and by ending that, you may as well be going to the future and scribbling all over the history books, because those kids might find a cure for cancer, a panacea, or even just something like how to reverse climate change with minimal effort from us.

So why kill when there's that chance?
Alchemist
#103 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 5:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mj2004_3
How would you have liked it if it was your own child, and you murder it, this blessing that has a purpose? I believe that all babies, all fetuses have a purpose in life, and by ending that, you may as well be going to the future and scribbling all over the history books, because those kids might find a cure for cancer, a panacea, or even just something like how to reverse climate change with minimal effort from us.

not everyone sees kids as a blessing. personally, i think spawning shouldnt be so celebrated/glorified. there are enough hungry mouths in the world to feed; we dont need more.

the kid might also grow up to be the next hitler. what then? we can play the 'what if' game all day, my friend, but it wont change the fact that the chances are even of either fate happening.

but to answer you directly: because there will always be chances. there will always be more kids. we arent in short supply. we dont need to stock up for the winter. at least one of the brats are going to grow up to be something good--and another, bad. its silly to try and side with hope when hope holds no true validity with the real world. you can hope until youre blue in the face; nothing is set in stone and nothing is guaranteed. ever.

i still dont see why people are so revered for procreating when there are kids out there without parents, without loving, supportive homes, who could just as well use one. why cant people just get it through their heads that caring for those kids is just as "fufilling" and "beautiful" and "touching" as their own little spawn? take care of what youve already got on your plate before you revisit the buffet.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Top Secret Researcher
#104 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 9:18 AM
i still dont see why people are so revered for procreating when there are kids out there without parents, without loving, supportive homes, who could just as well use one. why cant people just get it through their heads that caring for those kids is just as "fufilling" and "beautiful" and "touching" as their own little spawn?

I agree, unborn kids may have a great life or an horrific life or no life. It's total chance. But there are kids who already exist who need a family, so I think it is selfish that people insisting on having their own children instead of caring for the children that already live in the world. But teen parents who didn't plan their pregnancy and aren't prepared for parenthood shouldn't be put in the same category as people who can give a living child a home but instead choose to make their own kids to the detriment of others.
Alchemist
#105 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simbalena
I agree, unborn kids may have a great life or an horrific life or no life. It's total chance. But there are kids who already exist who need a family, so I think it is selfish that people insisting on having their own children instead of caring for the children that already live in the world. But teen parents who didn't plan their pregnancy and aren't prepared for parenthood shouldn't be put in the same category as people who can give a living child a home but instead choose to make their own kids to the detriment of others.

ahhh but i disagree. they have a choice whether to abort or not. by choosing not to abort, they choose to become one step closer to that sort of person who prefers "their own" to any of the children whom were already popped out.

we have enough halfassed adult parents, we dont need kids having kids. its ridiculous. especially if its not planned for.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Lab Assistant
#106 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 8:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by mj2004_3
Okay. So here's the opinion of a real teen almost-parent. OF TWINS. And I'm 14.

I was at a party, got drunk and slept with my best friend, which was kind of a shocker seeing as he was my BEST FRIEND. Someone I played Marco Polo with the day before. When I realised that I was pregnant, he freaked out and proposed to me. I said yes, because in my town, it's the 'proper' thing to do.

Then my mom kicked me out a week later, and I went back to school (boarding school, of course) and got kicked out there after they searched my harddrive and found my thread in The Teen Club asking for advice. So me, my fiance, and my best friend all went to live in another small farming town one province over with my childhood friend, her brother and her mom. We didn't even consider an abortion, that's cruelty and murder in my opinion. The thought of it makes me sick, and I don't care what other people think.

I believe that if a person feels that they are mature enough for sex (and yes, ours was protected, it's just that it failed), then should feel that they are mature enough for the possible consequences. It doesn't matter how my twins were conceived, as long as I love them and feel supported enough. When they are born in August, they will be the most loved out of all my future children because God blessed me with them and they are people no matter what. How would you have liked it if it was your own child, and you murder it, this blessing that has a purpose? I believe that all babies, all fetuses have a purpose in life, and by ending that, you may as well be going to the future and scribbling all over the history books, because those kids might find a cure for cancer, a panacea, or even just something like how to reverse climate change with minimal effort from us.

Personally, i agree with you. Congrats on your twins.. It makes me sad to see someone so young having to go through what you are going through.. But i personally also think you are doing the right thing. Please try and finish up your schooling and be strong! I will be praying for you dear.
Test Subject
#107 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 11:26 PM
I'm 17 (nearly 18, and regardless, past the age of consent in NZ) and I'm the mother of a beautiful baby girl. Yeah, she wasn't exactly planned but personally, I don't think I could emotionally handle an abortion, so that wasn't an option.

I've seen a lot of girls my age get pregnant, have the baby and hand it to their parents so they can go off and continue getting drunk and being promiscuous.
Thats not me.

When we found out, we immediately started sorting out our lives. My fiancee (who is two years older than me) got a better paying job, and I worked as much as I could before I had to stop. I also sorted out a way to finish my schooling and put money on the table. The result?

I'm a stay-at-home mum. I do my schooling via correspondence and I also do some typing for a local business (just for some extra dollars). We are on our way to owning our own house and are planning on getting married within a year or so.

I wouldn't recommend the choices I've made to anyone, but we have made it work. I think thats what it comes down to with teenage parents. You can either put some effort in and make it work, and be a real parent, or palm off your baby to your parents and be a crap parent. The choice is yours.

I am Cecily, please call me that. Proud mum of Magnolia :)
Inventor
#108 Old 2nd Feb 2010 at 7:49 PM
Most of the young girls in my area wouldn't be able to keep a goldfish alive, let alone a baby :/
Then again, that doesn't stop them from opening there legs. I know that sounds horrible and you could say "you don't know them" but yes. I do. My sister is friends with most of them and I get to hear all the stories about there drunkard mums who'd rather there teenage girls stay out all night (and not even know where they were) so that they can have sex with their abusive boyfriends...
Test Subject
#109 Old 23rd Feb 2010 at 6:57 AM
its not about belief.
a zygote is not a baby.

Let me guess, it's a piece of trash.

I hate anti-humanity.
Lab Assistant
#110 Old 16th Mar 2010 at 12:53 AM
Babies shouldn't be having babies; simple.
young teenage girls sometimes think that they are mature enough to handle the stress of motherhood. IMO, no one is ever 'mature' enough to handle it, but that's a different topic. When things come out about Teenage Pregnancy, people always blame the parents. It's not always the parent's fault, though. Nowadays, children are influenced more greatly by TV, video games and other children!

Did you hear about the Pregnancy Pact crap those teen girls were pulling back 4-5 years ago? Yeah, same thing i'm saying. the girls were friends who wanted to get pregnant at the same time so they could raise their babies together. It didn't go as planned.

HAND OUT BIRTH CONTROL AT SCHOOL!
Simple! I understand that some parents think giving condoms to teens is like throwing up the green flag on this subject, but it's not true. It's saying, 'Look, I understand you might have sex. If you do, be protected. I trust you to make the right choice.' And if they fuck up, they fuck up. It has NOTHING to do with handing out protection against unwanted and uneeded things such as STDs, Teen Mums and other things.

I'm wishing for someone to make a game called Teenage Mum, just to hand out copies to teens at Public Schools, make them play a few levels, and have them realize Being a Teen Mum, it ain't fun.

Don't worry; my avatar is meant as a compliment. :)

Page 5 of 5