Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 3:05 PM
Default Man is pregnant?
Ok I came across this story in my paper this morning and it interested me...

The full story is here but to sum up, the "man" who is 5 months pregnant is actually a transexual, so he was born a woman.
As it is a tabloid, there obviously may be some untruths in the story... But what are your views?

Is this science gone too far? Or do you think it's perfectly acceptable?
What sort of life is the baby girl going to have? There is an opinion in the column in the left hand side of a doctor (supposedly anyway..) who believes her quality of life will be diminished.. do you agree?
If he gives birth successfully will this lead to similar cases cropping up?
Advertisement
Scholar
#2 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 3:12 PM
WTF? Haha I dunno what to say about this.

I don't think that the baby's Q of L is going to be diminished... as long as her parents love her. I guess its kinda like having a surrogate... Dad?
Top Secret Researcher
#3 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 3:13 PM
I fully support this. So what if it's a guy, it makes no difference to the fact that this is something that he and his wife desperately want and will treasure of the rest of their lives. I do admit though, the one downside is the way that other people have treated them, such as his own brother and the first doctor. The ignorance and stupidity displayed there just made me feel sick.

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho
Field Researcher
#4 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 3:22 PM
"He" still has all the reproductive organs required for pregnancy, so why not? They can live their lives however they see fit. The wife couldn't concieve so he stopped taking the male hormones in order to concieve through invitro fertilization.
Alchemist
#5 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 3:26 PM
i think its actually quite sweet
Field Researcher
#6 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 3:32 PM
I don't usually come into this section but the title of this thread made me curious enough to check it out... and I agree with everyone else so far. It's a shame that their family and the others around them are reacting the way they are, and even more of a shame that those reactions don't surprise me in the least bit, however as long as he and his wife are happy and love their child and raise her well, I see absolutely no problem with this. I think it's wonderful that they've been given this chance to have something they both want so badly.

I think the only part of it that kinda confuses me is just the fact that he's pleased to be pregnant... I know a few females who desperately want to be male (I used to date one, in fact) and they all are rather repulsed by the idea of becoming pregnant, I guess because inwardly they feel they are male, thus the thought of pregnancy feels unnatural to them. Everyone has a different way of thinking though; he seems to be okay with it so that's great for them. Hopefully their family gets over it so their child can have a decent relationship with them as well.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:13 PM
I don't mind it... Yes imagine seeing him in the street...lol....but i think its a nice thing hes done....
Forum Resident
#8 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:24 PM
*snorts* It figures they're from Oregon

Personally, I think its great... Whats the issue, I mean its not like he was born a man and its some kind of medical miracle. The sad thing is, if he was, then it would probably be less of a deal then it is. I have no problem with it, though you notice that the newspaper is The Sun and not the Oregonian or the Bend Bulletin. Its probably NOT that huge of a deal there.... They might have had a story or two but other than that they've left it be. The Sun (kick me if I'm wrong) seems to be a bit sensationalist. Just my two cents. Personally, congratulations to both of them

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
Lab Assistant
#9 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:32 PM
I dont see a problem with this at all. The baby girl is going to have a mom and a dad, a family. She just doesnt need to know that she came out her father
Forum Resident
#10 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stephieboo_x
I don't see a problem with this at all. The baby girl is going to have a mom and a dad, a family. She just doesn't need to know that she came out her father

I think thats what a lot of people's problem with the whole thing is... She will probably know that she came out of her dad, whether it be from her parents telling her first or some jacka** on the street yelling obscenities at her and her family. Sadly there are a lot of people who would do that.

~*I'm a she*~
The Booty calls to you, you cannot resist it
I use Target and Kodak Gallery for my pictures, you should too... :D
My MTS2|Livejournal|Yearbook|Facebook
Field Researcher
#11 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:41 PM
Personally I hope she DOES know that her dad's the one who had her; I hope her parents explain it to her so she understands -before- some ass decides to talk down at her about it. Better to learn it from her parents than for her to find out from someone else; at least that way she knows the truth and they can encourage her to have an open mind. If she found out from someone else then it'd be a case of "why are my parents lying to me?".
#12 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 4:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by stephieboo_x
I dont see a problem with this at all. The baby girl is going to have a mom and a dad, a family. She just doesnt need to know that she came out her father

I do support this but I think the daughter will find out. I mean, won't her parents be discriminated for this, and won't she (the daughter) realize it when she grows older? But I too think it is very sweet of the father.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:04 PM
WOW. First of all, couldn't even tell s/he was transgendered, and second, holy crap. That really is strange. But more power to them both- I hope they have a healthy baby and are a very happy family.
#14 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:13 PM
Wow..thats crazy, but I don't see anything wrong with it really, s/he's happy and you know that baby is gonna be loved either way. And I definetly second that the parents should tell her.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#15 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:25 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Faithlove13xxx
Umm... if he has a vagina and uterus still, he's a She.

Without the sex change technically it's a lady.

PS Didn't this happen on Southpark?

That's apparently normal for Female-to-Male transsexuals - it's apparently dangerous, difficult, and expensive to make anything even remotely resembling proper male genitals for a woman who wants to become a man - and even if they do manage to, they aren't functional.

I guess what I don't get is how this person is considered legally male. I guess there is some surgery and hormones involved, but... just because you look like a man doesn't make you one.

I guess they have about as much chance as raising a happy, healthy, well-adjusted child as anyone... and at least it's a child they're wanting and trying really hard to have, as opposed to an "oops, I'm pregnant!" baby - not that those can't grow up well too, but they're planning for it, etc.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
#16 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kustirider2
i think its actually quite sweet

as long the kid dosen't realise the truth... at least i woudn't be very pleased if i'd suddenly find out i was born by my transexual dad 0.0;
#17 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bookworm_duo
as long the kid dosen't realise the truth... at least i woudn't be very pleased if i'd suddenly find out i was born by my transexual dad 0.0;

I don't think anyone would..but, wouldn't you rather hear it from your parents than by someone else?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#18 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 5:52 PM
As long as they tell the child early and don't keep it a secret or make it seem weird, there's no reason the kid would feel uncomfortable about it - my origins are... weird, at best (I'm my own aunt) but it's perfectly natural and normal for me and I don't feel strange about it in the slightest. If you grow up in a strange situation, that's perfectly normal for you. Now, if my family had kept that from me and told me only when I'm older I would have been like, "wtf?" but as it's never been a secret, it's fine.

Once the child is a little older and going to school, there's really no reason for the other kids to know about it - the child will have a mother and a father that love it, and that's more than a lot of kids can say nowadays.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Scholar
#19 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 6:00 PM
Quote: Originally posted by HystericalParoxysm
I guess they have about as much chance as raising a happy, healthy, well-adjusted child as anyone... and at least it's a child they're wanting and trying really hard to have, as opposed to an "oops, I'm pregnant!" baby - not that those can't grow up well too, but they're planning for it, etc.

Yeah, they just have to hope that the effects of the hormone therapy have worn off before the pregnancy if they want to have a "normal" baby girl.

In any case, this whole trans-sexual story sounds like complete hogwash. I think we all know what really happened:
Alchemist
#20 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 6:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by bookworm_duo

i would be a bit freaked out if i found out that but i would still accept him as my dad, and his wife cant have children, so i think that its nice what he is doing
Field Researcher
#21 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 6:32 PM
I saw a case on Discovery Health about a woman who had triplets, but the interesting thing is that her son was actually growing outside the uterus. He did survive, though the doctors had a difficult time removing him from the abdomen as they were afraid his mother would bleed to death.

With that kind of development, it wouldn't be impossible for men to carry children, but it would be extremely dangerous because the embryo would have to implant in the man's abdomen. It'll probably be years before men would even be allowed to undergo such a procedure if it passes all the ethics hurdles (determining the ethics of this practice would be beyond nightmarish), and many more years before it'd be in practice. This would be infinitely more controversial than homosexuality or even abortion...

The guy in the article still had a uterus, even though he got a "sex change". The only things that changed much at all were his gender identity, and perhaps some hormone therapy to make him develop some superficial male characteristics. There's a difference. "Normal" men with an XY karyotype and all the male characteristics carrying babies...now that would be sure to get everyone talking. And it isn't simply hypothetical any more.

ETA: Oh yeah, and research has showed that "sperm" can be made from certain cells in a woman's body. So science has shown that the possibility for a lesbian or gay couple to get pregnant by each other exists, but is still far off in terms of practical implementation.

"Make believe in magic, make believe in dreams
Make believe impossible, nothing as it seems
See, touch, taste, smell, hear, but never know if it's real"
--The Cure, "More Than This"
#22 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 6:35 PM
Erm.. I dunno. It wouldn't work, would it? If s/he's a transexual, and if s/he got still to get rid of the ladyhormones... And also there's testosterone around there! Surely that'll affect the pregnancy? I think there'll be complications o.o *voice of pessimism*

"A year later he fell pregnant with twins using donor sperm, but lost the babies after developing life-threatening complications."

See! Already had complications before. I don't think it's ethical to try grow babies in conditions where they'll be exposed to the wrong sorts of hormones than naturally.
Scholar
#23 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 7:17 PM
He/she will make all other men jealous. All men wants to know what is to be pregnant, otherwise why are men cultivating such big bellies ? ;-)

Understand Material definition-TXMT and customize the look of your objects ! This way

"The longer something exists in this world, the more wear and tear it will have."
#24 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 7:22 PM
who cares? its her/his family and his/her child, unless if he/she treat the baby badly.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 27th Mar 2008 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Haylifer

"A year later he fell pregnant with twins using donor sperm, but lost the babies after developing life-threatening complications."

See! Already had complications before. I don't think it's ethical to try grow babies in conditions where they'll be exposed to the wrong sorts of hormones than naturally.

So..basically just because there were life-threatening experiences...like the chance that occurs in EVERY pregnancy... it's automatically related and therefore isn't right?

I would like to clear up the little matter of my sanity as it has come into question. I am not in any way, shape, or form, sane. Insane? Hell yes!

People keep calling me 'evil.' I must be doing something right.

SilentPsycho - The Official MTS2 Psycho

Page 1 of 5