Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 6:52 PM Last edited by gwynne : 16th Jul 2014 at 4:41 AM.
Default Origin making "The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection" available for free to owners of The Sims 2
Details are a little scarce still, but some people with The Sims 2 registered to Origin are receiving this email:

http://imgur.com/Pc451VW

I myself own The Sims 2 Double Deluxe through Origin (not the vanilla base game) and I received the email.

I'm also not sure how much of the game will be contained in the "Ultimate Collection". I think the image above is everything we know until July 22.

UPDATE: Here's a screenshot of the install from a user on reddit.

http://i.imgur.com/08en3ta.png

UPDATE 2: FAQ

http://help.ea.com/en/article/the-s...collection-faq/
Advertisement
just a girl
#2 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:10 PM
I own Sims 2 Deluxe and some EPs and SPs. I received the email, but not seeing any new items in my Origin library. Not sure what to do...
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lamare
I own Sims 2 Deluxe and some EPs and SPs. I received the email, but not seeing any new items in my Origin library. Not sure what to do...

Bolded by me: Do you mean "Double Deluxe"?

I don't believe anything will appear until July 22, although the wording is somewhat ambiguous.
just a girl
#4 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:20 PM
It doesn't say "Double", just The Sims 2 Deluxe both on picture and in description.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:23 PM
Thank you, and as an update to anyone reading, I just got the email myself (I only own Double Deluxe).
Instructor
#6 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:24 PM
I am freaking out! It even says, "It also features a lot more content than you may already have in your current version of The Sims 2." Like, did EA do the UNTHINKABLE? Did they REALLY decide to give us a complete collection for free? I'm literally crying at the thought. If this is the case, almost all negative feelings for EA will have been erased. They might not be the most ethical company, but if they are giving us TS2 players a complete collection, I might just buy TS4 even though I swore I wouldn't! I guess time will only tell if they have actually given us the complete collection, but I don't know what else this would mean...

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Mad Poster
#7 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:31 PM
Quote: Originally posted by plyplay665
They might not be the most ethical company, but if they are giving us TS2 players a complete collection, I might just buy TS4 even though I swore I wouldn't!

Suddenly their generosity makes perfect sense. XD
Test Subject
#8 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:32 PM
How can I register my sims 2 games to origin?
Instructor
#9 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by sushigal007
Suddenly their generosity makes perfect sense. XD

Yes, exactly. However, I am not complaining. It's one thing to write blog posts explaining themselves, etc. It's another to actually take action and show that they are trying, which is something I think they are doing if this is the case. I've been begging for a complete collection for years, so if I'm about to get it for free with the possibility of a fixed game launcher, I would be more than happy to take part in their gimmick. It's definitely a good PR stunt in my opinion.

I might one day finish my Zanes Hollow project, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Until then, you can see what I'm up to on my Simblr!
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:36 PM
I found this if it's of any use to anyone, but haven't tried it myself:

http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-2...gin/td-p/368020
Theorist
#11 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:37 PM
x-post from source. I'll keep y'all updated --

"I'm in a queue to register my games. I wonder if I'll get the email after and I hope that they will let me register because I have the original game. (the one in the dual cd case) and a handful of expansions."

Quote: Originally posted by gwynne

That's what I'm doing right now. Wait time is like 5-10 minute for chat.
Test Subject
#12 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:38 PM

Found that as well.
Am waiting now for an advisor :D
Test Subject
#13 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:43 PM
I own Sims 2 Double Deluxe and Best of Business and didn't receive any e-mail.
Sesquipedalian Pisciform
retired moderator
#14 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:46 PM
and the EA chat servers have collapsed.....

More downloads by Leesester, BoilingOil and others at Leefish.nl | My Stuff at Leefish.nl | LeeFish RSS | Sims4 News Blog | TumblinLeefish
Field Researcher
#15 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:48 PM

I'm trying it right now. They're telling me I can register TS2 Double Deluxe, but not my OFB EP.
Test Subject
#16 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:49 PM
I just activated all of my Sims 2 games today, and just got the email about Ultimate Edition! I'm excited! I wonder if it will have a license limit...

Also, I couldn't activate some of my games through Origin, so I was told to use this link: https://activate.ea.com/gameactivation.do

Basically, you have to create a classic EA login under the same email as your Origin account. Then it appears in your Origin library.
Theorist
#17 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:50 PM
I'm just curious what the ultimate edition includes. Is it the whole thing? That'd be amazing since I lost some of my expansions and stuff packs. ARGGHHHH

Edit - Great minds and so forth, eh?
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#18 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:50 PM
Can someone get them to explain what, exactly, the "Ultimate Collection" entails? I'll ask in chat when I go to register mine, after I find the disks, but that might take a while...

Best possible thing it could be: An updated version that is fully patched and works fine on Windows 8, including all EPs and SPs, preorder content, regional doodads like that one hair and dress, and the Store content. I'd say maybe even with additional bugfixes, but I expect that about as much as I expect it to come with a live unicorn, so...

Worst possible thing it could be: An updated version which makes your saves incompatible with any non-Ultimate Collection, includes nothing extra, but introduces fun new bugs with newer graphics cards, and stops working entirely a week before TS4 is released.

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#19 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:52 PM
If they include all of the stuff packs and expansions I will ... I will love EA just a little bit.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:53 PM
Copy-pasting from the TS4 thread:

Wow, this is the first bit of news in forever that's made me sit up and think "hmmmm, tell me more!" I might actually try registering my games, although they're all second-hand and I don't know if that would be a problem. I do wonder if it'll come with Store Edition or any changes to the engine and maybe even bugfixes... OK, I know they've pretty much abandoned TS3 to the bugs and ripped the guts out of TS4, so the chances of them fixing stuff like the OFB uniform glitch are pretty much zero, but I can dream. I also wonder if that bit about it possibly having more content means it'll be bundled with the old store content.

ETA: It's silly, I know, but I love that this news has caused the servers to crash as everyone runs to register their games at once. Feel the TS2 love!
Test Subject
#21 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:54 PM
"I am working on your issue, please stay connected"

Mad Poster
#22 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:54 PM
There has been a lot of talk about Sims 2 on the Sims 3 "official" boards lately, I may be cynical about the company, but I wouldn't put it past them to try to do something to turn that into a money opportunity. (I know the point of the business is to make money, its just the way EA goes about it (strip features out of the base game to sell in the store later etc) that puts a bad taste in my mouth.)
Test Subject
#23 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Quetzkotl
If they include all of the stuff packs and expansions I will ... I will love EA just a little bit.

IKR? Now that I've planned to rebuy them all that's more than perfect
Mad Poster
#24 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:58 PM
This is very generous of them, which is uncanny...

And isn't it funny how they keep on saying that support for the Sims 2 has ended yet they still go back onto it?
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#25 Old 15th Jul 2014 at 7:58 PM
Huh. I got the email. But do I really want what they're offering?
Page 1 of 41