Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#76 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
The base game for Sims 2 was $29.99. The expansions were $19.99. I remember that. Nothing in Sims 2 cost $40. I never bought the Double Deluxe or any combos so I don't know the price of them.

Really? I remember when the first stuff pack came out (Family Fun Stuff) it was $20. Someone had given me a $10 card, so I used that towards my purchase. When my mom asked me how I liked it, I said it would be worth about $10, which was what I paid out of pocket.

Edit: doing a bit of research, it seems like the TS2 EPs cost $40 at release. And the base game was $40 as well.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#77 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ZenGarden
Love your background honey

Oh no, that wasn't from my computer screen. Not my background. Oh hell nah!!!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Test Subject
#78 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by emino
Am I the only one excited by the possibility of having diseases in the game, now that we have a functioning hospital?

AM I? WHY AM I MORE EXCITED ABOUT THIS? I CAN'T BE ALONE, AM I?

No way I've wanted this since I started playing The Sims series!
Mad Poster
#79 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kaspookaboo
Really? I remember when the first stuff pack came out (Family Fun Stuff) it was $20. Someone had given me a $10 card, so I used that towards my purchase. When my mom asked me how I liked it, I said it would be worth about $10, which was what I paid out of pocket.

Edit: doing a bit of research, it seems like the TS2 EPs cost $40 at release. And the base game was $40 as well.

I don't know where you bought the game but here in the US/Chicagoland, I remember how much I spent and what I was doing the day it was released. I never paid $40 for anything Sims 2 but that is not to say I wouldn't have done it. Loved that game. However, Sims 4...meh.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:56 AM

Those latter numbers sound right to me as someone who bought TS2 base game at release and TS2 expansion packs soon after they came out.

EDIT: And I'm from the US.
Theorist
#81 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 1:57 AM
I think we should just wait and see because they'll probably do a livestream like they enjoy so much and show off the expansion the day it comes out.

I survived September 2nd 2014 and all I got was this lousy thread - http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=532774
Forum Resident
#82 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:00 AM
Where are you getting these release date numbers? I remember buying TS2 for about $30 too. It came out in 2004 which was around the time most games were priced around $30. Pretty sure expacks for TS2 were $30 at release too. Only the stuff packs were $20.
Forum Resident
#83 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:01 AM
Of course in the 90s I remember games being $20. God I miss those days.
Forum Resident
#84 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:03 AM
I remember The Sims 2 being standard price at the time for a game. Which I believe was to be $50 and EPs were $30. The sims is always been standard price at release, which was either $50 or $60 then.

My Simblr --->Glee & Squee
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:06 AM
I bought everything right at release. And I bought these in Canada. But it looks people are remembering different prices.

In any case, the only point I mentioned it was because people had been complaining about the $40 of the new expansion pack, including this article that mentions it right in the title.

I don't think anyone has forgotten that TS3 EPs were $40 at release, so why all the hate?
Forum Resident
#86 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:11 AM
http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/29/com.../column_gaming/

This says what I remember, games were $50 and started getting bumped up to $60(standard price now). I just remember it being $50.

Forum Resident
#87 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
http://money.cnn.com/2004/09/29/com.../column_gaming/

This says what I remember, games were $50 and started getting bumped up to $60(standard price now). I just remember it being $50.

Doesn't actually say anything about the sims 2 though. It only mentions that EA is considering the bumps for next gen by that point TS2 was already done and released. So it would not have been next gen, TS3 would. I know TS3 was pricey.
Field Researcher
#88 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:17 AM
If you only take 2004, when TS2 was released, then adjusting for inflation, a $30 expansion pack would be about $37.60 in 2014. Of course as you go later on in TS2's lifespan, the price gets "cheaper" due to inflation. Compared to TS3's $40 expansions, because the price remains the same, TS4 expansions are actually cheaper due to inflation. Really, the price shouldn't be bothering anyone unless the expansion comes with almost no content, because it is approximately the same as it has been for quite a while.
Forum Resident
#89 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lilliandulcia
If you only take 2004, when TS2 was released, then adjusting for inflation, a $30 expansion pack would be about $37.60 in 2014. Of course as you go later on in TS2's lifespan, the price gets "cheaper" due to inflation. Compared to TS3's $40 expansions, because the price remains the same, TS4 expansions are actually cheaper due to inflation. Really, the price shouldn't be bothering anyone unless the expansion comes with almost no content, because it is approximately the same as it has been for quite a while.

The problem is that EA doesn't deliver enough content to charge that amount. That's my issue with it.
Forum Resident
#90 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by audioromance
Doesn't actually say anything about the sims 2 though. It only mentions that EA is considering the bumps for next gen by that point TS2 was already done and released. So it would not have been next gen, TS3 would. I know TS3 was pricey.

Yes, but at that time the price was still $50 for standard releases, The sims 2 released the same month as that article. Then there were not many indie games so most titles just released at the same price. EPs were 20 dollars less and handheld games were that price too.

The sims 3 was $60 at release, standard price too just like TS4 at $60. I mean you know by the price of EPs because they are usually 10-20 dollars less than the base game.

Lab Assistant
#91 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:27 AM
The problem is that EA doesn't deliver enough content to charge that amount. That's my issue with it.

I've actually been very impressed with how content has been delivered for TS4 thusfar. They have never had so many free updates, and Game Packs are MILES above Stuff Packs in terms of getting what you paid for. Here is a good comparison of Outdoor Retreat vs HELS. He did get the price wrong, however, it should say $20 for HELS. But seeing the side by side comparison shows how much more content they've given us.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#92 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:35 AM

You have no idea how much content is going to in this pack. So unless you have unrealistic expectations (and are a cheap SOB) of what should be in a game pack, then this statement is unfounded.
Lab Assistant
#93 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 2:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
You have no idea how much content is going to in this pack. So unless you have unrealistic expectations (and are a cheap SOB) of what should be in a game pack, then this statement is unfounded.

Meh, I can understand the resentment. The Sims 3 series left a lot of sour grapes. But if Outdoor Retreat is any indication of future business models, I'll be more than happy to shell out some dough.
Top Secret Researcher
#94 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 4:42 AM Last edited by emino : 5th Feb 2015 at 4:54 AM.
You know what's funny?

I will be there on the first day to download and play Get to Work...
... While taking an emergency leave from my real life job. XD
Instructor
#95 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 5:14 AM
Of course in the 90s I remember games being $20. God I miss those days.

I don't. I remember games being in the $60-$100 range. Games are actually cheaper now than ever.
Lab Assistant
#96 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 6:15 AM
Can we buy toddlers in this EP?
Forum Resident
#97 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 6:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Glic2003
I don't. I remember games being in the $60-$100 range. Games are actually cheaper now than ever.

Yeah I'm going to guess you'll talk about N64 games, but I hate to break it to you that wasn't the normal (I seriously have this conversation a lot every time N64 comes up). That's why I never played the N64 or anything nintendo they were always expensive. PS1 games were ridic cheap. Tomb raider one of my favorite series was always cheap when it came out until later in the series. Sega games were pretty cheap too. FF was a little pricey, but worth it. Most of the games I played were never expensive games. Shit even dragon age wasn't very expensive when it came out and that wasn't even all that long ago.

Also can I ask if anyone actually has any data on this? Any time I talk about this and ask about it no one ever does. I'm curious.
Forum Resident
#98 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 6:51 AM Last edited by audioromance : 5th Feb 2015 at 7:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic

Yep I do. I can look at their past expacks to gain that information. Shit even their game pack wasn't worth more than maybe $10. TS4 base game wasn't even worth the price it was asking either. I bought it at the only price I would pay for it: $30. EA does this with EVERY single game I have ever bought from them so there is a reason I rarely buy at release. Their games are rarely worth the full asking price (can only think of a few really). So yeah no I have NO doubts at all that this will be the same. Everyone will get all hyped up and then realize that the content there wasn't as much as they thought and the game play isn't anything like they were hoping then be disappointed. If I'm wrong I'll eat my shoe, but until then I'm going to go on several years of past experience with them. Cheers

ETA: If it makes you feel better I think this is true of most of the gaming industry too. We keep paying more for less and less quality content. I feel like gaming is dying a slow, painful death.
Forum Resident
#99 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 6:54 AM
I've actually been very impressed with how content has been delivered for TS4 thusfar. They have never had so many free updates, and Game Packs are MILES above Stuff Packs in terms of getting what you paid for. Here is a good comparison of Outdoor Retreat vs HELS. He did get the price wrong, however, it should say $20 for HELS. But seeing the side by side comparison shows how much more content they've given us.

Free updates were just stuff that should have been in the base game. It takes a lot more to impress me. Outdoor retreat is a waste of money imo. The only decent thing out of that was the hairs. I want those hairs, but I won't pay $20 bucks for it. What I have to ask is do you play any other games that have dlc? Most dlc is about $10 bucks or thereabouts. Dragon age 2 priced an entire mission with much more hours of game play than outdoor retreat for $10. Outdoor retreat is just dlc. That's all game packs are dlc. They need to price them correctly.
Forum Resident
#100 Old 5th Feb 2015 at 7:03 AM
Quote: Originally posted by H.O.W
Yes, but at that time the price was still $50 for standard releases, The sims 2 released the same month as that article. Then there were not many indie games so most titles just released at the same price. EPs were 20 dollars less and handheld games were that price too.

The sims 3 was $60 at release, standard price too just like TS4 at $60. I mean you know by the price of EPs because they are usually 10-20 dollars less than the base game.

All I'm saying is that article proves nothing and it doesn't talk about TS2. It was talking about the price bump for next gen so wouldn't even effect TS2 pricing.
Locked thread
Page 4 of 447