Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Mar 2013 at 4:51 AM
Default The Sims Complete Collection Stuttering Badly On New Laptop
Hiya. This is my first post here, although I'm definitely familiar with the Sims modding community.

I have a new laptop. Windows 8, AMD A8 2.2GHz Quad-Core, 6GB of RAM, and AMD 7640G graphics chip.

The Sims 1 stutters a lot when scrolling, and the animation is not smooth at all. I've seen it perform better on a single core 2GHz Pentium 4 and Intel Integrated graphics. Although it does seem to run full speed when I'm not scrolling or using the UI Fade Effects.

Is there anything I need to do to get it to run smoother? I've tried setting the CPU Affinity to use only one core, and there was no difference (Unless you need to restart the application for the change to take effect, which I'll be testing shortly). It may just be a hardware/Win8 incompatibility, which in that case I guess I'll just have to deal.

Thanks for reading,
Have a nice day.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 26th Apr 2014 at 1:00 AM Last edited by sims 1 : 30th Apr 2014 at 6:49 AM. Reason: bad grammer
Try this! windows 7 should not be too different from windows 8. I will instruct you, please note that these instructions will work only similar to windows 8 because I am a windows veteran, not expert, so I am telling you the best I can based on my experience with 7. go to advanced system settings in control panel, then go to performance go to DEP or also known as Data Execution Prevention

turn on DEP except for programs that I accept

and add the sims 1 shortcut's both 800x600 & 1024x768. Now techs told me to do this when I had crashing problems with older games running newer OS's. But my windows 7 tells me that this makes your machine less secure while running that program. Because DEP is a windows execution safety feature, but sometimes interferes with the performance of older games on high end processor.

I personally recommend researching Microsoft website before doing this

but this does solve most kinds of problems! Google sims 1 on windows 8 and see if you get anything but like I said this worked for me with one of my games. made it so i quit crashing while loading. but also could be a direct x problem or driver problem you have a computer twice as fast as mine and sims 1 may just not run unless someone makes a patch and EA don't care about their older products at all there all greedy hogs those EA games and sports they never used to be that way, but are the worst game company in the world on the gamers news today and for 2 years straight. but give this a shot and keep me posted

sims 1 works with direct x 7 and was made for a 32-bit operating system so Even I would have trouble on my older windows 7 64-bit
Lab Assistant
#3 Old 28th Apr 2014 at 9:26 AM
also But I don't know in windows 8 you should be able to right click the shortcuts and go to properties and compatibility mode and pick to run it under windows 98/ME for that game if windows 8 still has compatibility mode

being nice to people has it's benefits and being mean or nasty has no benefit and your only hurting yourself in the long run.
if anyone want to make an angel like mine here is the wings link (blue eyes not included) sorry
http://modthesims.info/browse.php?tag=wings&f=38