Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 10:37 AM Last edited by AndrewGloria : 17th Feb 2023 at 4:05 PM.
Default Help Julian start his first business
Hi all you entrepreneurs out there! Can you give young Julian Moltke a hand to get his first business venture started. No, he's not looking for money, just advice.

He's currently negotiating to buy this outdoor swimming pool in Monopolis (my name for Monopoly Game Town):

It's a 2x2 lot. In its present state it costs §32,245 but the toilets aren't fully fitted out, there's no electric lighting, and there's no provision at all for food. Obviously Julian knows to add the essentials, but he's wondering what other additions and changes he might make to make the venue more attractive. He intends to use the Visitor Controller to make it a venue specially for teens and children. He appreciates that he may have to reduce the size of the pool a little to make space for other features. There is room for future expansion, using the lot adjuster, but Julian would prefer to start with the 2x2 lot -- buying the stuff to fill a larger lot would cost more money, and in The Sims 2 small intimate lots can attract plenty of customers.

So what would you suggest he might add? Please bear in mind that my only EPs are Nightlife and OFB, but I've no problem with CC as long as it's compatible with my EPs. Julian has thought of chess tables, swings and a barbecue. And somewhere to sit - park benches are ideal because (as Julian well knows) you can make out on them too. What else can you think of?

He's also wondering about how much to charge. He's thinking of §5 with an initial offer of §3 for the first few days. A lot of families are fairly poor, and teens and children can't be expected to have a lot of money. The venue will run with a bandatron ticket machine, and he doesn't intend to employ anyone. The place should really run itself with only occasional cleaning and tidying required. And both his boyfriend, Andrew, and his little sister, Brigitte, are Virgos who love nothing more than finding a dirty toilet to clean!

So, your thoughts and suggestions please.
Screenshots

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#2 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 10:50 AM
I would tell him to get the builders to make the pool a more interesting shape even if that was a few squares cut into one side. If he had the builders do that they could move the hot tub over to those spare tiles keeping all pool related activity on that side of the lot freeing up some space for a BBQ area where the hot tub currently is. This may sound like work, but it will actually save him some money because pool squares are expensive!

My pool owner suggests he invest in some all in one bathrooms since they take up little space and sims get clean at the same time. Veranka makes a nice all in one. Also he might like some dressing rooms. She thinks they are at Sims2artists.
At her pool she has snack machines and a juice bar for refreshments.
For playing she has a water squirting octopus and little paddle pools for toddlers.
She says set things to cheap until people know the place then go to average.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#3 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 10:51 AM
I'm gonna be obnoxious and ask if he has a lot of aspiration points? Like about 11,000? Then he can get out the old pinball machine, set it up and the customers will be flocking like crazy to his site. Put in a mood flamingo and they'll be happy all the time. I think the dessert cart by ex-nem is all right for the ep's you have, so you can have food on the lot as well. I don't know but perhaps you can put in the expresso bar as well, so they can have some coffee while drying off, too.

Between the ticket machine and the pinball machine, it should make enough money to expand to have other items as well.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#4 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 1:19 PM
For food - I choose the BBQ. It goes hand in hand with a self-respecting pool.
Definitely proper bathrooms - if you can use the all-in-one that Jo talks about, perfect! I can't remember if they need ep's. If not, just make sure there are showers.
I will definitely put a wooden bench there too, besides a couple of tables with chairs, and a lounger or two.
I would add a speaker for dancing for the teens and something playground like for the kids.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 2:57 PM
There was an ice cream stand somewhere that would be lovely for the poolside. I'll add the link once I'm on a better computer.

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
#6 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 3:13 PM
Maybe Julian needs to just buy an empty larger lot and start from the ground up? There's intimate and then there's crowded and that right there is a crowded under performing inner city reno nightmare. At 5 dollars an entrance he's not going to be able to do any renos because the renos will instantly put him in the red. My advice for that price Julian needs to walk away and cut his losses. he can get a 3x3 for under a grand and that still leaves 30,000 for improvements to do a layout that works from the beginning instead of demo-ing the lot to make it to work right.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 3:24 PM
It's a little stark, don't you think? Some colored concrete, a little deco, a flower or two or even a tree would give it more curb appeal. Unfortunately the specific things that spring to mind that define "swimming pool" for me - the bulletin board, community showers, lockers - all come with Uni, which Julian doesn't have access to.

Jo's recommendations on space management are good ones.

I don't recommend sticking in a bunch of extra stuff. People come to the pool to swim, soak/makeout in the hot tub, and swim some more. If you put other things there they won't do those things. A small business needs focus.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#8 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 4:00 PM
I always put sun-chairs of some sort around pools, so Sims have somewhere to lie in the sun and dry off, or just watch the people swimming. They rarely use them autonomously, but it doesn't look right to me without some form of seating. Maybe a bench or two for parents to sit and keep an eye on their kids.

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 5:34 PM
When he can afford it, a snack bar, umbrellas and chairs, a hot tub, showers, and palm trees. This lot is rather elaborate, but it might give you some ideas:
http://jodeliejodelie.tumblr.com/ta...road-to-nowhere
Theorist
#10 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 5:49 PM
I would cut the pool down to about half, it's not like all visitors will use it at the same time. Add a bit of plants, at least 1 tree. Remove the spa or add access to a flat roof and put 1 or 2 spas there. BBQ area, a toy or two for kids and toddlers, darts are always popular and music. The bandatron can be placed by the street to keep potential customers from blocking activities. An outhouse or two would cost much less than the all-in-one bathrooms, there is an outhouse for $50 which fills several needs, as opposed to the approximate $4000 for the all-in-one. Inside could have benches, snack machines and trash receptacles. Julian can always make changes after the business gets going and switch or add other venues that seem to work better. Good luck! (:

When you forgive, you heal. When you let go, you grow.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 6:01 PM
Personally, I'd shrink the pool down a bit, add rounded corners and a slide (if you have them). Add some outdoor tables and a grill and a tree - if you have the EasyShade Bay Tree, that would look nice. Put bricks around the pool rather than the plain boring concrete. Some of this advice might be a bit useless - I can never remember what came in which expansion pack.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#12 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 7:32 PM
The slide is AL but the bay tree is base game and would look good.

Another reason to make the pool smaller - those diving boards and pool ladders will be easy to block because of how close they are to the edge of the lot/the restroom building.

(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Top Secret Researcher
#13 Old 19th Aug 2016 at 8:04 PM
The ice cream stand

http://crispsandkerosene.tumblr.com...ice-cream-stand

It has soft-serve and regular cones. Ice cream and summer swimming go so well together, don't you think?

I've got one or two things on MTS, but most of my stuff is on my main site here:
http://simcessories.blogspot.com/
(Now recruiting budding creators.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#14 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 1:26 AM
Hi Everyone! Thanks for all your suggestions. Julian hasn't actually bought the lot yet; at the moment he's with Andrew at the Green House in Monopolis at a meeting with Milburn Pennybags discussing terms. I'll get back to you tomorrow when I've had some sleep.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 4:35 AM
I wouldn't reject adults. I don't think that children are allowed to come to community lots at all without them and a lot of parents would prefer to be able to supervise their children in the pool.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:07 AM
Children aren't allowed to visit community lots from home without an older sim, but it can be a teen. I send children out with their older siblings and with teen friends all the time - social groups of mixed teens and kids are great! Also, if there are kids on a lot, unaccompanied children can show up. I don't think they can use the bandatron, though.

Theorist
#17 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 3:20 PM
Kids can use the bandatron, I've seen it done on youtube.

#18 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:06 PM
youtube is like the video version of wikipedia just cuz it's seen doesnt mean it's real.....
Scholar
#19 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 5:47 PM
or it's a mod.
Mad Poster
#20 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 6:11 PM
Obviously, this is something that needs testing. I know kids can't buy things through the register on owned lots - I've tried.

Mad Poster
#21 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 7:51 PM
I think they can; in Hazelton, I often sent kids (with an older sibling or parent, of course) to a bandatron hair salon after their birthdays.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#22 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 11:09 PM
Kids can use the bantron and they can buy things through a register when they visit an owned lot when non controlled. I've had kids buy things at the bank.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#23 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 11:12 PM
They can? Well, maybe I'm confused, then, or the register malfunctioned.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#24 Old 20th Aug 2016 at 11:20 PM
You can't direct them buy, it's only when you are playing the business and the child autonomously buys something. It may be that what they buy isn't real, that it does not actually place the item or remove family money, it just appears that way. I say that as I haven't noticed anything in a child's inventory. It's quite cute when a child buys at a shop. I'll have to see if I have a picture.

~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#25 Old 22nd Aug 2016 at 12:33 AM
This is kids who visit community lot, never tried with controlled ones though. There is a townie boy, the one with the bowl cut hair who used to go to a community lot who was a good customer there. I don't remember the lot, but it's a female elder who runs a furniture or maybe a plant shop. If you watch Jessa's play sims series, she has a church where kids visit the lot and use the bandatron.

Page 1 of 2