Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 3rd Dec 2017 at 11:24 AM
Default How do you manage a shopping mall?
In my current hood, I'm trying to run the maxis premade one: Bluewater Village Micro Mall. Change it a bit or a lot, will provide an image. Kind of a hassle of having to lock and unlock certain doors of the shop behind, as I can envision some employees to work due to getting warmed out, but I like the challenge of that micromanagement, Run know I'm playing on vanilla when it comes to business, so I might download essential hacks (like Pescado's BRY, in-synch community lot time hack and the one that allows Sims to age there)) when I'll need them the most.

I keep the shops open 9am-5pm (though have the owner arrive at 7am just to get things ready, out-of-stock items crafted back and restock, ect) before closing them all down and switching it to a venue: a ticket machine in played for those who choose to take a roll or a skate on the two counterpart rinks. I than close the whole mall down and have the sim return home at 11 pm.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 12:47 PM
I sort of enjoyed playing the mall--I'd have a bunch of specialty shops around the edges, and a restaurant on the center island. I don't think it's really any different from playing a smaller shop except you have more area you need to look at to find customers looking for help. I generally don't stick to a time schedule because it's just hard to manage with Sims and their lives, and I only use one cheat. When the employees arrive, I maxmotives. I don't enjoy playing with cheats usually, but those idiot employees are so goofy I have found it makes things easier. In the real world, most people try to come to work rested, fed, and will use the bathroom when they need to.

I even stopped giving employees breaks--when their bob turns orange, i just send them home. I found that even if I gave them a break, half the time they would just wander around for an hour without taking care of their needs. So then I close the mall when i have too few employees left to run it.

But I actually prefer a smaller shop--I enjoy having my owner sim sell stuff and run things--it's hard to keep up with in the large mall because my sim spends half the time just running from one spot to another.

I did find it helpful to have one cash-register station at the mall--having a separate one for each shop was difficult to manage and used too many employees. Two in the center running registers seemed to work.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#3 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 9:34 PM
I don't have a mall but I do have a SimKea in Dolphin Point. One cashier(my sim) her husband on restock and sale and one hired sim also on restock. They have a cafeteria area with an NPC. It's two floors and sells a wide array of furniture, some white goods, lighting, plants and deco items. The till is near the entrance/exit. There are two, one real and one fake till. What I want is a sim dummy to stand at the other one.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Alchemist
#4 Old 5th Dec 2017 at 10:29 PM
do not yet have Open For Business.
there might be many pre-made lots that might be considered malls in their starting state; depending on criteria.

in another thread I have told about a renovation I am planning. have changed the lot since then; would update the thread after awhile.
the thread:: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=599516