Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1401 Old 8th May 2018 at 11:33 PM
(was responding to Gummi... )oh I thought you posted more of it. Maybe you just referred to it as existing. "get confused in my very old age" you know. 52 :P
Advertisement
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1402 Old 8th May 2018 at 11:37 PM
I do think making a contest for beginners, and for me that means "Have you placed top 3 in a building contest before?" yes-No is a great idea for another contest, but for this one is mute. I don't think there can be any other criteria as many people have never been in a contest before and their skills may vary widely, but I am not going to judge someone's skills beforehand as I don't think that is right.

I do want to emphasise again that as a judge I can only judge what you show me in pictures and words. I don't know your thought processes. If you remove a wall and this changes the look of something, say so under the picture. If you have seen sims navigate an area say so. If you have fiddled and can't see another option for something, say so. Judges are just other sim players so we judge by what we like, they are simply our opinions, we are not trained in any way. One judge may like your work another may not, that is simply how it is and why we ask for 3 judges since one judges like/dislikes is not necessarily another judges likes/dislikes. One judge hates orange another hates red/white and black diners. It doesn't really matter, only that they judge everyone the same.

Once I get this issue of my computer sorted (and I will so help me!) and everyone has had a rest I will be posting a contest. More so it will be a decorating contest with some building rather than a building contest. A makeover of Strangetown, so keep your eyes peeled.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Top Secret Researcher
#1403 Old 8th May 2018 at 11:39 PM
I will be on the lookout, Jo.

By the above criteria I am definitely a beginner and likely to remain so.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1404 Old 9th May 2018 at 12:07 AM
ok @Justpetro I had collected back a half point on one judge, but didn't realize that the other one hadn't gotten back to me at the time. the other judge thought it was clear glass or open

I thought it had been added in. so she said to go ahead and add it back so I am giving you your half point back on the toilet thing
Mad Poster
#1405 Old 9th May 2018 at 12:13 AM
My final word then regarding the judges: look, I have done badly in competitions before. In fact, I had some horrible scores in several competitions. I have ended up stone last in some rounds. And I never complained - because the judges were more or less in agreement. To me, it does not make sense if 2 judges give you full marks for building skills and the third one decided to deduct a lot of points for building skills for the same lot. That is why I decided to say something.
And I honestly don't think it is so hard to understand.

That was not necessary, @gdayars but thank you anyway. The contest is over, let's go drinking
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1406 Old 9th May 2018 at 12:34 AM
@Justpetro I do want to say however, that disagreeing with someone over a judging style is one thing, but the tantrum remark was REALLY not called for in reference to Gummi and the last contest. I was going back and rereading the comments, and it really hit me, that really crossed the line. As far as Gummi's judging style, in all but the last round, she did take a harder stance across the board, then she was easier this last one, but it was her first time judging, and more importantly, she did it consistently for the same criteria across the board for everyone. I realize that as a contestant things don't always seem to be fair, but I saw Gummi's criteria ahead of time because she showed it to me, and honestly, it might have been a little hard, but she stuck with it throughout the contest, til I personally stressed theme and unique the last time (as per the description of the contest ) Then she changed hers to match. And yes her scores were often lower for most people during the contest as a whole, compared to the other judges. There were occasional exceptions, but overall she did it with consistency. There were times I disagreed with more than one judge... and put my oar in, and if they could explain it by their own criteria, even if I thought it was a bit harsh, as long as it was consistent across the board, I left it be. I figured it all evened out. We had a super easy judge, a super hard judge and a middle of the road judge, and they applied equally across the board pretty much

Back to the comment however, is that this is a contest, there is no sense in going personal on anything. I realize you were upset and venting, but just realize that our judges all put in a lot of time, and all had things going on in their personal lives as well and still did this even when they were up to their necks in proverbial hot water in life. So just be aware while I can understand that things get frustrating as a contestant.... having been there... that there was nothing personal in Gummi's judging. so please don't make it personal back I believe that an apology is really in order.
Mad Poster
#1407 Old 9th May 2018 at 12:51 AM
@gummilutt - I apologize for my remark. It will not happen again.

@gdayars, apologies to you as well. I do realise that judges put in a lot of time and effort.
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1408 Old 9th May 2018 at 12:52 AM
Mad Poster
#1409 Old 9th May 2018 at 1:15 AM
Thank you. We're cool

On the topic of contest design and all the feedback about how it was run and decisions made, I think it's important to keep in mind that hosting is seriously stressful. I don't think it really comes across in the topic just how stressful it is. Thread moves fast, time flies, and ten different people are pulling you in ten different directions, forcing you to make decisions all the time on all kinds of stuff. I don't think it really came across just how hard gdayars worked to try and make sure you all had a good time and that you all felt felt encouraged to keep going. She's just about the nicest person you'll ever meet, which is really the reason things like extensions and edited scores happened. Because she wanted everyone to have a chance and to not lose points over small things, and she sympathized with all the madness that's happened to a lot of the judges/contestants. It all came from a place of love and inclusion

Creations can be found on my on tumblr.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1410 Old 9th May 2018 at 1:53 AM
@Justpetro I am the judge that just gave you back the half point. At the time I didn't connect the overhead bathroom pic to the side one thinking that is was clear glass. I think looking at it again now that the 'clear glass' is actually shine from the light. I was dealing with my dad in hospital then home with a fractured hip and was also looking after my mum so I was kind of distracted. (They are both good now)

For the most part I have been the middle of the road judge, but not every time, I have also been the 'tough' judge a few times. gdayars did her best to 'Americanize' my spelling lol, to make it harder to tell.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Space Pony
#1411 Old 9th May 2018 at 2:33 AM
:lovestruc Huge Congratulations to Maxon!!! Job well done indeed! :lovestruc

and lol, thanks @yavannatw , I did indeed win something the most expensive lot :P

AND maybe also the "one who is allways VERY late" title

But yes, I am glad I was just a playalong, and loved the every lot what has posted here. And wish very much that at least some of them would be up for download (what arent allready <3 )

And for judges, it must be hard job, and actually... thank you @gummilutt that I actually did NOT needed to fill you in I was prepaired to do so , but Gina would of had a too time consuming job to "Americanize" me, than with Jo And not to mention to correct my neverending typoes :D

Best wishes,
Ellu

~~~~Call me Ellu ~~~

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..
Mad Poster
#1412 Old 9th May 2018 at 3:42 AM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 9th May 2018 at 3:59 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Charmful
Cat, I might be drunk on fermented juice, or you might be - but didn't you win this contest that was a building contest that ended just last year?? I mean, I judged it...I know this wasn't just a dream...but it was a very complex building contest at that! I'd definitely call you an advanced builder

LOL! You're right! I think I was the only one left though... Does that really count? Last one standing wins? I guess it does... but I'd like to win one because my builds were actually worth it, not because I could hold my breath the longest.

ETA:
No - I went back and reviewed - there were 4 of us who stuck it out to the end: ForeverCamp, Petro, Porkypine, and me.
That contest took 5 months - no wonder I can't remember it very well. LOL! So, I wasn't the last one - I did actually build something worthwhile. Thank you, Charmful, for reminding me. I see I'm the same age as GDayars - I wonder if we've both got swiss-cheese disease?

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Lab Assistant
#1413 Old 9th May 2018 at 3:46 AM
This was a wonderful contest, and I had a really good time participating in it. CONGRATS to maxon on a well-deserved win. Thank you to the judges and my fellow contestants, and a BIG thank you and a pint to gdayars who made it all possible. We have certainly had our ups and downs on this journey. You've done well. All of you. Drinks for all.

"Passion makes no accommodation for self-preservation."
Link Ninja
#1414 Old 9th May 2018 at 3:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD
LOL! You're right! I think I was the only one left though... Does that really count? Last one standing wins? I guess it does... but I'd like to win one because my builds were actually worth it, not because I could hold my breath the longest.

Fair enough, 1 of 4 left in that contest; JustPetro was left too! The remaining four all had formidable builds and skill. But hey, this contest had seven contestants left by the end. So it's a mix of holding your breath *and* build skill.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1415 Old 9th May 2018 at 3:50 AM
@Freelala You would be a beginner in my book.

~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#1416 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:00 AM
Woah! Ninja'd by a lot of ya'll! I ETA'd my last post - sorry for the confusion

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1417 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:02 AM
That is an interesting idea! the mentoring contest! I will suggest that to the next victim er "host"

:P
Mad Poster
#1418 Old 9th May 2018 at 4:56 AM Last edited by gazania : 9th May 2018 at 7:46 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by CatherineTCJD

ETA:
No - I went back and reviewed - there were 4 of us who stuck it out to the end: ForeverCamp, Petro, Porkypine, and me.
That contest took 5 months - no wonder I can't remember it very well. LOL! So, I wasn't the last one - I did actually build something worthwhile. Thank you, Charmful, for reminding me. I see I'm the same age as GDayars - I wonder if we've both got swiss-cheese disease?

I was in a contest here (way, way long ago, and it apparently got sucked up in the Great MTS Disaster of 2010 or so) where only two of us finished. I won. The other person, obviously, came in second. Everyone else dropped out. Still, even though I don't think that achievements were around back then, as far as I'm concerned, I won. (And ... don't snicker too loud, please ... it was a decorating contest. A holiday one. OK ... you've seen my decorating efforts and can snicker a little!) If you stick out a contest all the way through, and you're the last of, let's say, three people, you came in third. Period. I think part of these build contests are endurance contests, too. It can be easy to come up with one build; challenging if you have to come up with four AND make a deadline. I can admit in the last two contests that there were times I looked at the requirements, and all that came in my head for days was "...........???"

And yes, I understand that judges' opinions can vary. But I also agree that it can be confusing if one judge likes something, one judge doesn't, and the third judge is split down the middle. Maybe that's the bane of a judging system. I see it on TV as well in shows such as "Chopped". One judge may think a contestant chef uses too much garlic, one thinks it's just the right amount of garlic, and one can't get enough garlic. I know how that chef feels ... darn it, how much garlic is considered a good amount? This can really be a problem if the featured ingredient is garlic. I'm not sure how to fix that. Maybe I should watch some more "Chopped" episodes.

One thing I'm thinking from this contest ... I visit faaar too boring places. I built my lots with the thought that these would be places I might actually see. I imagined places people review on TripAdvisor or AAA. "I stayed at Bill's Bungalows while going to my niece's wedding. The banquet was constantly stocked with fresh food 20 hours a day, and though the rooms were dated, they were clean and cozy, and had obviously been well-maintained. The housekeeper, though, really doesn't have to clean the shower while I'm on the toilet! Clean has its limits. And darn it, those aren't bungalows! Three and a half stars".

Now that's another interesting concept for a contest ... make a TripAdvisor-like place and use reviews to describe it. But if I would be a dismal judge, I'd be worse as a host!

I think my doctor will be OK my having just a nip of wine at the fermented juice bar.

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1419 Old 9th May 2018 at 5:21 AM
Cat you won that! I forgot. I still haven't decided if mine will be a beginners contest, it's mostly decorating.

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1420 Old 9th May 2018 at 5:28 AM
Cat yeah that swiss cheese disease I refer to it as the "my brain went on vacation and all I got was this lousy tshirt" condition.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1421 Old 9th May 2018 at 5:40 AM
*Hunts for t-shirt.* memory is so bad she can't remember where she put that dang t-shirt.

~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
#1422 Old 9th May 2018 at 7:22 AM
I also have a contest in mind...but it's not build or decorating... I want to run a second cycle of Making Headlines. But heaven knows when, because as mentioned above, hosting is a helluva job. Still better than judging though, imo. I rarely judge my own contests anymore. Too much stress. So kudos to you all (judges and hostess).
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#1423 Old 9th May 2018 at 7:59 AM
I had heck more work hosting but somehow still like it over judging. It's probably because I enjoy making up rules and unveiling things.

~Call me Jo~
Turquoise Dragon
retired moderator
Original Poster
#1424 Old 9th May 2018 at 8:10 AM
I actually, once I recover, would like to have a baby/toddler photo contest. For all games.
Mad Poster
#1425 Old 9th May 2018 at 8:30 AM
One thing I would like to see would be an informal contest or a mini-contest. Not necessarily any judging or winners. Simply a prompt and a challenge. This might also help beginners get their toe in the water.

Yes, no more than one or two rounds. And while the three hours might indeed be a problem (and yes, that was my idea), 24 or 48 hours might not.

Problem is, where would that go? If in Challenges, those usually have a long list of rules. I would keep the rules simple. It's not really a Contest if there are no judges or scores. If in the Lots section, it probably would get lost. There are times where you hear crickets there for months. Admittedly, though, that would be the best place of the three to put it.

For instance, going back to Bonny Bungalow: You have been tasked to make over Bonny Bungalow for a vacation house. Pick one type of hood ... mountain, tropical/beach or Eastern ... and design the house to fit in with the aesthetics of the hood. Budget no more than 25 Simoleons. CC is fine, but should be no more than 6 items (recolors not included in the 6). You can add an extra floor if you can keep that in-budget, but the total must not exceed the 25K. You can modify the foundation or outside walls, as long as you stay in budget. You must finish by 6 PM tomorrow; your client is impatient!

I now have to focus on the fun task of trying to adapt to a personal situation, and sadly (or fortunately for those of you blessed with me in their contests), I don't think I could enter long-term contests as a contestant for the time being. Shorter mini-contests might be more up my alley. Seeing some of the situations here, perhaps it might be others' as well.

If there is a place where this is already done, please let me know. I know that there is a forum where there is a monthly build challenge sometimes (that's the one where I got soundly beaten, but yeah ... the other entries were better!) That one simply had first, second, third place. But I was thinking more informal than that.

Oh, and where ARE my manners? Congrats to maxon!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.

Page 57 of 59