Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 6:17 PM
Default I'm this close! (Creating Sims 4 hair in Blender!!)
Problems:

1) When I have rendered my hair in Blender, my hair mesh gets so blurry, and I'm not able/don't know how to change that or anything else on my finished hair mesh.. And I don't know if and how it will effect my hair mesh in the game, when I'm going to play it..?!

2) I have managed to export my finished hair mesh, from Blender to the desktop, as a ".blend file", but from my desktop I don't know, how to get my hair mesh into the "Sims 4 Studio"!

- I've tried, but all that happens is, that when I open up my "Sims 4 Studio", in the right corner there is a box that says: "my project", and under that box I can see my ".blend file", but when I press the ".blend file" an error box shows up, and it says something about it not being a package file..

So I'm kind of stuck right there..

Yes I know it's diffucult to make my own Sims 4 hair meshes in Blender It's just that I'm this close now, so I really want to overcome the last few steps/"problems", so I can learn it probably, and perhaps be able to help others in the future

So please, if anyone can help me, please do, I would be very thankful !
Advertisement
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#2 Old 4th Aug 2015 at 6:23 PM
Moving to Create > CAS Parts. The feedback forum is for when you *have* finished your hair and just want feedback from users on what colour they like better, or have people test it and stuff like that (not really for technical issues).

Also please do not post several identical threads -- one is enough.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#3 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 10:16 AM
Questions about how to use Sims 4 Studio should be posted in the S4S forums. That said, and while I've never used it myself, if it says you need a .package file and you don't have one maybe you need to clone a game hair first to create a package, open that, then import your .blend to replace the mesh.

Rendering the hair in Blender might or might not give you an accurate idea of how it would look in-game. The game renders in much lower detail with different effects than Blender (depending on your settings I guess) so they may give completely different images. IMO rendering in Blender for any CAS item is pointless.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
#4 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 10:32 AM
“When I have rendered my hair in Blender, my hair mesh gets so blurry” might also mean that your rendering settings in blender are weird somehow (if you mean that it gets blurry *in blender*) – hard to tell without a screenshot. That won’t have any influence on how the hair looks in game, though. Does it look OK in the regular 3D preview?

(Doesn’t have to be entirely pointless – some people might like to use a separate render preview, with a fixed camera point of view, to better compare before/after when they make changes, for example .. I can see how it can be irritating when that preview gets messed up. No idea whether that is the issue of the OP, of course.)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Ms. Byte (Deceased)
#5 Old 6th Aug 2015 at 7:43 PM
Good point, although I still suspect that without a lot of tweaking of settings in Blender a render isn't going to be any more similar to what you see in-game than the textured 3D preview, and possibly less. (Agreed that it's hard to say whether the blurriness might indicate a problem without a screenshot.) I guess what I'm trying to say is that the OP shouldn't worry too much about a render when the real problem is getting the hair into the game to see how it looks there.

Please do not PM me with mod, tutorial, or general modding questions or problems; post them in the thread for the mod or tutorial or post them in the appropriate forum.

Visit my blogs for other Sims content:
Online Sims - general mods for Sims 3
Offline Sims - adult mods for Sims 3 and Sims 4
Test Subject
#6 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 12:58 AM
OK - even though this question should go in the S4S forms instead of here, I'll still try to be helpful.

Steps:
1 - Create a new project in S4S, choose "Create 3D mesh" under "CAS." (You'll know what I mean once you see S4S.)
2 - Choose a random hair from the list - it doesn't matter which, as long it is for the same gender of sim your hair is meant for.
3 - Click "Next," and a window will pop up. Name it, and then click "Save." This will then bring you to the interface where you can actually start doing stuff.
4 - Go to the "Mesh" tab, and click "Import."
5 - Choose the .blend file you made
6 - The hair should appear on the character in S4S.
7 - Click "Save" in the bottom right corner.
8 - This has saved the hair in the .package file you made earlier, just after you selected the random hair in step 2.
9 - Find the .package file, copy paste it (Or drag and drop) it into your mods folder, which is in Documents<Electronic Arts<Sims 4<Mods.
10 - It should be in your game! If you have any questions, let me know! Good luck!

-K
Mad Poster
#7 Old 7th Sep 2015 at 10:05 AM Last edited by Esmeralda : 7th Sep 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by kathcberg91
1 - Create a new project in S4S, choose "Create 3D mesh" under "CAS." (You'll know what I mean once you see S4S.)
2 - Choose a random hair from the list - it doesn't matter which, as long it is for the same gender of sim your hair is meant for.
3 - Click "Next," and a window will pop up. Name it, and then click "Save." This will then bring you to the interface where you can actually start doing stuff.
4 - Go to the "Mesh" tab, and click "Import."
5 - Choose the .blend file you made
6 - The hair should appear on the character in S4S.
7 - Click "Save" in the bottom right corner.
8 - This has saved the hair in the .package file you made earlier, just after you selected the random hair in step 2.
9 - Find the .package file, copy paste it (Or drag and drop) it into your mods folder, which is in Documents<Electronic Arts<Sims 4<Mods.
10 - It should be in your game! If you have any questions, let me know! Good luck!

Unfortunately you can't just import a new mesh straight into a TS4 creation tool and expect it to work in game. What the OP needs to do is to export the .blend file of the default hair they cloned from and open it with Blender, then Append the .blend of the hair they made to the default hair. They then need to either Transfer Weights from the default hair to the new hair, or assign the bones manually. Then delete the default hair. If the hair is a short hair (all of it is above the shoulders, not sitting on the shoulders at all), it can all be assigned to b_Head__, but if not, the necessary weight assignments will need to be made. Then they need to reshape and/or resize their mesh to fit the head of the TS4 model on the screen.

And that's just for the LOD0 non-hat-compatible version of the hair. The same procedure needs to be followed for LOD1, LOD2 and LOD3. And when that's done, two sets of hat-chop meshes need to be made for the hair to be compatible with hats, one set (LOD0-LOD3) for the high chop and another set for the low chop.

So no, you can't just simply make a hair in Blender, import it untouched into a creation tool and expect it to work in game. Sorry!
Test Subject
#8 Old 9th Jan 2016 at 7:29 PM
Oop! Should have specified what I was talking about there, sorry! I know all about the transferring of weights and everything, but I should have mentioned that that works with edited meshes, since that is what I usually do. Sorry! I should have mentioned that, they didn't say if they had edited a hair or created one from scratch. Sorry! I should have assumed.... Oh well!