Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#126 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 6:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cosmott
I don't like it when people say Twilight was a very poorly written book.
It obviously wasn't, because now it's one of the most popular books in the world.
Stephenie Meyer must be making millions.

And I, on the other hand, don't like it when people say "Twilight" is a very good book. It isn't. And sorry, but popularity is by no means an indication of book's quality.

Things that killed this so-called "saga" for me are the excessive use of purple prose, Bella/Edward's abusive relationship (no, removing your girlfriend's car engine/stalking her before you start dating is NOT cute, it's very creepy), promoting of pedophilia (Jacob/Renesmee), sparkling fang-less vampires (goddammit!), anti-feminist stance, repetitive dialogue (I don't want to read it for thirty times how dangerous it is for B/E to be together), slow-paced plot with some randomly added action at the end of every novel.

I'm waiting eagerly for the craze to die away so that real vampires can come back and claim their rightful throne.
Advertisement
#127 Old 5th Dec 2009 at 9:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by cosmott
I don't like it when people say Twilight was a very poorly written book.
It obviously wasn't, because now it's one of the most popular books in the world.
Stephenie Meyer must be making millions.

And paris hilton is one of the most known names around the world, doesn't make her talented, along with miley cyrus, britney spears, ect. lo

Twlight was an afwul series IMO, the author was writing as if she was some pathetic horny teenage girl fawning over a sparkly vampire, which is funny since that's exactly how Bella is, but Bella has no personality at all so everything just comes across as some sick fantasy the author has.

Actual highly respected talented authors that actually have made millions even think twilight was garbage. lol

I honestly can see why dumb teen girls like it but I can't see how they are so dumb they can't even tell bad writing from good writing.

Don't even get me started on those movies, lol...
Alchemist
#128 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 12:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VacuumMelon
And I, on the other hand, don't like it when people say "Twilight" is a very good book. It isn't. And sorry, but popularity is by no means an indication of book's quality.

Things that killed this so-called "saga" for me are the excessive use of purple prose, Bella/Edward's abusive relationship (no, removing your girlfriend's car engine/stalking her before you start dating is NOT cute, it's very creepy), promoting of pedophilia (Jacob/Renesmee), sparkling fang-less vampires (goddammit!), anti-feminist stance, repetitive dialogue (I don't want to read it for thirty times how dangerous it is for B/E to be together), slow-paced plot with some randomly added action at the end of every novel.

I'm waiting eagerly for the craze to die away so that real vampires can come back and claim their rightful throne.

this won my day.

also, as far as greek gods go....

Zeus.

i rest my case.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Theorist
#129 Old 6th Dec 2009 at 12:38 AM
Twilight has planted a deep resentment of the word 'chagrin' in me forever.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Instructor
#130 Old 7th Dec 2009 at 11:45 PM
So there is serious talk about splitting the last Twilight movie into 2 films...and I'm a bit confused. Granted, I haven't read BD, but when I ask people to give me a summary, it goes something like

Am I missing something? I know the book is lengthy, but it doesn't seem like a whole lot actually happens. Maybe someone could tell me exactly where you'd split the story and why? Maybe add some details people aren't telling me that would warrant a need for 2 films instead of one? Or perhaps this is just to milk that cash-cow a little more? Just curious, is all.
Alchemist
#131 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 12:20 AM
BD, was the longest of them all, but I agree with you I don't really see the point of splitting it in two. And I don't really see where you would split it up, I guess it would be after Edward turns Bella, and they'd leave that as the Cliffhanger and then the next movie would be the 'showdown' with the Volturi.

Everything sucks, until it doesn't.
Beautiful Dinosaur
#132 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 10:05 AM
I don't know if I'd say BD is the longest.... The copy I have is thicker than the other three, but it also has the most ridiculously large typeface - I think SM was trying to make it look longer that it actually is.

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Lab Assistant
#133 Old 8th Dec 2009 at 10:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SuicidiaParasidia
this won my day.

also, as far as greek gods go....

Zeus.

i rest my case.

Haha, now I can never read Edward Cullen's name again without imagining him like Zeus from Disney's "Hercules".

And as far as splitting BD into two movies goes - if they're really going to do it, they're gonna fail so hard. Honestly, the whole idea of making BD into a movie is giving me creeps. How are they going to depict Jacob/Renesmee's relationship? It quite openly is child grooming and I don't think sane people would be okay with including it. Not to mention the bloody birth scene and scene where Bella is covered with bruises after their intercourse etcetc.
Alchemist
#134 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 12:12 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Bellasaurus
I don't know if I'd say BD is the longest.... The copy I have is thicker than the other three, but it also has the most ridiculously large typeface - I think SM was trying to make it look longer that it actually is.

Well that's true. As well as it contained a lot of useless information. Particularly in Jacob's part, (or that might just be my hate for Jacob) but I skipped heaps in his part, a lot of the wolf stuff. I really on read what had to do with Bella, I didn't really care about anything else. Which is why I hated New Moon - and the movie was even worse, it was just 2 hours of Jacob. ugh.

And also I think another problem is Renesme, how are they gunna play her part? But I guess, we'll see...

Field Researcher
#135 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 1:37 AM
the reason if they split BD in two, would be to milk that cash cow(it's the last book after all), but I'm almost certain that BD will have the worst climax ever(that supposed showdown that turns into negotiation), unless they changed the movie to have different ending, like they engaged in a horrible bloody battle where most of them died(seems like HP7 though)

Problems installing stuffs?Use Sims2Pack Clean Installer

Problems extracting stuffs?Use ALZip
Beautiful Dinosaur
#136 Old 9th Dec 2009 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Brad2006
that supposed showdown that turns into negotiation

That bugged the hell out of me too! Come on! At least reward us for making it through all the trash storylines by giving us a good battle. It was kinda cool the way they manged to wangle their way out of the fight... but really, it would have been better if at least someone had died (I voted for Rosalie - most irritating character ever).

Who knows where thoughts come from....? They just appear.
Alchemist
#137 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 12:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VoiceIHear
And also I think another problem is Renesme, how are they gunna play her part? But I guess, we'll see...

i have the perfect actor in mind.

"The more you know, the sadder you get."~ Stephen Colbert
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." ~ Jon Stewart
Versigtig, ek's nog steeds fokken giftig
Mad Poster
#138 Old 10th Dec 2009 at 1:26 PM
Renesmee really creeped me out. A baby that can walk and talk = scary. Also highly agree with how disappointing that after pages and pages and pages of drama that there was no fight in the end of BD. Ended a bit too nicey-nicey for me, but then they are aimed at teenagers.
Field Researcher
#139 Old 18th Dec 2009 at 9:48 AM
Twilight is the ultimate wish fulfillment for sixteen year old girls.
Alchemist
#140 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 9:51 AM
Correction - Robert Pattinson is the ultimate wish fulfillment for 16 year old girls.

Lab Assistant
#141 Old 19th Dec 2009 at 9:06 PM
Through I am not a fan of the series, I feel Twilight should be improved a lot and the storyline should be totally re-written for the better. I'm not quite impressive with that book...
Field Researcher
#142 Old 20th Dec 2009 at 12:07 PM
meh I just hate it because its hyped up more than anything/anyone I can remember.

I simply do not like it otherwise because vampires and crap don't appeal to me. it has to have some humor or I don't care. Harry Potter was ok cuz it was at least a little humorous.
Instructor
#143 Old 22nd Dec 2009 at 10:31 AM
I don't mind Twilight. Though I do think it has ruined vampires by making all these middle school fan girls walking around saying the vampires "sparkle" in the sun.

Another thing I really dislike about it is that there is merchandise for it EVERYWHERE. It is quite annoying.
Test Subject
#144 Old 10th Apr 2010 at 9:39 AM Last edited by Miss Foxxy : 10th Apr 2010 at 9:53 AM.
Sorry for opening this thread again so long after the discussion stopped, but I have a question. How exactly is Edward & Bella's relationship abusive? A little obsessive, maybe but abusive? That's a strong word.

To answer the question, I think the books are neither perfection or horrible. I admit it isn't the deepest book but I love it because it somehow tugs at my heart (I know I probably sound as soft as a marshmellow. lol) but it's why I can still love it despite all its imperfections (which there are many).

Another thing, I think I've figured out why they love each other so much (I might be wrong). I think they both see themselves incorrectly and see in each other what they wished they were (if that makes any sense. lol).

Lastly, I want to comment on the 'fangirls' so often mentioned in this thread. I think everyone should give them some slack. We were all young once and most of us probably had those crazy infactuations with people we could never attain in real life. So now the tweens/teens of today are having their turn.
Page 6 of 6