Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 6:22 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Pets
Default Help with .bak file conversion?
Yeah. I was one of the idjits who tried to do something without a proper backing up of my downloads folder. The program I used was kind enough to make .bak files of each file that got messed up, but that comes up to about 2,500 files. Any way/program/command/something that can mass-convert them to .package files? I started doing it by hand, got through about 50, and I'm already frustrated. :P

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 7:40 AM
There are two ways to do it.

1. Just duplicate the folder and everything in it.
For example, your sims 2 is in the document folder.
You can copy the sims 2 folder and paste it in d drive or wherever is safe.

2. compress the folder as rar or zip file.

Btw, there are only two folders (including all the files and subfolders in them) that you need to backup One is neighborhood, and the other one is download.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 7:52 AM
Maybe I need to be clearer with my question.

I don't need to back up the files. I know how to do that, I just didn't do it for some reason. However, .bak (backup files) were created. I need to convert the .bak files into .package files.

Copying or zipping the folder would simply give me 2,500 more .bak files.

"The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you."
Forum Resident
#4 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 7:59 AM
Okay ...

Don't use that backup program then. :p
Use my way so that you don't have to rename those files later.

However, it appears that you may not have any choice, but rename every single file.
You can try to find a small program that helps you rename all the files so that you don't have to do it one by one. :D
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2005 at 12:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simster
You could open a dos (command prompt) window, type in the proper directory path and type ren *.bak *.package

Amusingly, I had figured this out purely by accident, and was returning here to post that exact thing. It never occurred to me to use dos renaming until I downloaded something that had to be run from the command prompt, and it hit me that I could do that.

Thanks, though! If I'd come back a little sooner to check, it would have saved me a lot of time, and about 400 manual renames. :D