Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Feb 2013 at 8:51 PM Last edited by GlamourSims : 25th Feb 2013 at 9:37 PM.
Default Sims 1 on laptops safe?
Actually a quick question on The Sims 1!
I had recently got a new laptop (my old one died and not sure if playing games on it killed it or if it was unrelated)
and I was wondering if a laptop with an Intel HD 4000 would run the game just fine!
I understand that it's integrated graphics BUT I also know that Sims 1 is pretty much ancient by computer standards :P
I just don't want to over work/over heat my laptop by playing it.
Sorry I know this seems a little extra paranoid, but like I've said I don't know what caused the last lappy to crash on me >.<
IMO: I don't think Sims 1 would be any sort of real harm to it seeing as how old it is AND just because the graphics are integrated doesn't mean it can't run ANY games, (though yes laptops aren't IDEAL gamers)
But I just want to double check with what some of the other more expert Simmers think just as a precaution anyway!
I'm hoping next year when I get some more money I can get a gaming Desktop and then install Sims 2 and 3 without worry but for now I need my Sims fix and Sims 1 is as good as any (My childhood~! 3<3 ^^)

tl;dr: Is it ok to play Sims 1 on a laptop without worry of damaging it due to integrated graphics? I don't think Sims 1 even required a dedicated card anyway (I don't have the boxes anymore just the CD cases) But what's your guys' thoughts? Will it be ok?
Or will it still be like trying to play Sims 2 & 3 and cause it to overheat anyway? I'm not much a techie so please don't laugh at me ^^;;;

For more specific specs it's got:
Intel HD 4000 graphics
Windows 8 (I don't like it much but it came with it =.=)
8GB RAM (7.89 GB Usable)
Intel(R) Core i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40 GHz

it's a Toshiba Satellite S855

Edit: YES! I am asking a serious question, I may come off as over paranoid but I just don't want anything to happen to my precious new baby laptop and with the hit to my wallet the death of my other laptop caused I won't be getting that gaming desktop until EASILY next year =.= *sigh*
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 25th Feb 2013 at 10:12 PM
It'll work absolutely fine. TS1 was built with a game engine compatible with windows 95.

It requires (reading from Unleashed EP box):

CPU: 350 MHz (you have 2.40GHz, lol)
RAM: A whopping 128 MB, unless it's just the base game, then you only need 64 MB

As for possible damage to your Integrated graphics chip, I wouldn't worry about that, TS1 has a very low demand for computer power, although I have noticed lag with gigantic lots, but then my computer is about a quarter of your specs and also has over 4 GB of CC + all expansions installed.

Hope this helps. :3
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 25th Feb 2013 at 10:23 PM
Thank you so much Saturnfly :D
I figured it could run it easily (I could TECHNICALLY run Sims 2 but I know that would probably be pushing it since that requires a dedicated graphics card)
My main concern was just any damage it MIGHT do since I'll be playing on a laptop with integrated graphics (I have a cooling pad but you can never be too careful)

I love the entire sims series so I don't mind going back to sims 1 while I wait on getting my gaming desktop! TS1 is such a classic :3
(annoying that there are no days off in your career like in 2 & 3)

Like I said, I figured it would be "yes" but I wanted to double check anyway!
Thanks again :3

Edit: It's funny, but I only RECENTLY knew that CC existed for Sims 1 which has ALSO given me new interest in going back and playing the game again
I also have all the EPs as well *high-five*
Test Subject
#4 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 6:25 AM
Yes, as Saturnfly said already, it will work perfectly. In fact, I played the game on much worse computers and had no problems. Be prepared for many hours of fun. Such a wonderful game...
The CC however, isn't much to be excited about because most websites are gone, though you might find someone with the files and have them send to you.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 10:59 AM
Quote: Originally posted by kitkat1111
The CC however, isn't much to be excited about because most websites are gone, though you might find someone with the files and have them send to you.

There's a thread right here with tons of links to Sims 1 cc websites that are still live:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=480970
Top Secret Researcher
#6 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 11:20 AM
I own a laptop with it working perfectly with no cc on it

"I know, and it breaks my heart to do it, but we must remain vigilant. If you cannot tell me another way, do not brand me a tyrant!" - knight commander Meredith (dragon age 2)

My sims stories: Witch queen
Nocturnal Dawn
Inventor
#7 Old 26th Feb 2013 at 8:41 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Esmeralda
There's a thread right here with tons of links to Sims 1 cc websites that are still live:

http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=480970

That thread is what made me end up with 4GB of CC. xD
Mad Poster
#8 Old 27th Feb 2013 at 12:42 PM
My little netbook let me load Sims 1 up to Unleashed. For some reason, it refused to load Superstar. In all fairness, it has only 1 GB of ram, and might not have the firepower to do it, or that Superstar might be defective. (I got individual EPs, and I read that some versions of Superstar gave people problems,) I will have to find that out one day on a laptop. Nevertheless, the netbook has no problem with the EPs I COULD load, so I would guess that a machine that has a little more power would do OK.

Interesting that Win 8 is working wretchedly with Sims 2 (without help, anyway), but great with Sims 1!

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Feb 2013 at 12:43 AM
Wow! so many responses :3 Thanks guys~!

I saw the thread that Esmeralda linked to and I'll probably be busy downloading CC! X3
I'm a CC holic no matter WHICH Sims game it is, though sometimes I'll admit I end up browsing and downloading CC more then I do actually PLAYING the dang games LOLOL! XD
None the less if Sims 1 has not harmed any laptops then I feel fully safe installing it and playing it :3
Thanks for easing my fears everyone

@gazania That IS intresting that Sims 2 plays horribly on Win 8 I haven't tried it myself but then again I wouldn't doubt it =.= I personally wouldn't have gone with Win 8 but the Laptop came with it soooooo *shrugs*

EDIT: I haven't fully looked at the CC thread yet but if it isn't there, the site AroundTheSims.com I believe still has all their Sims 1 content up! I LOVE ATS <333