Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Apr 2011 at 6:23 AM Last edited by Joselle : 22nd Apr 2011 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Change of Title
Default SimPe Problem
Okay, because I am an idiot, here is my problem:

I recently got a new computer-Win 7 64 bit beauty and tried to install the last version of SimPE on it. Since I am still trying to baby the machine everything got downloaded to the main "downloads" under my user name. After re-reading the installation instructions I realized I was stupid and now am unsure of how to fix this. Since I never did run SimPE .73, could I simply delete the folder "SimPe_0_73_44_QA? Do I need to create a new downloads folder, move everything else there, and then delete said folder with SimPE still inside? Or should I give up and use a restore point?
Please help--I know I've been stupid and I really want to fix this!
(Many thank-you's in advance)
Advertisement
Site Helper
#2 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 2:44 PM
There shouldn't be any need for something as drastic as a restore point, and SimPE stays in the folder it was in. If you extracted it to its own folder in Downloads, you won't need to clean out the whole Downloads to remove it.

That having been said, the instructions were to extract to its own folder and use the SimPE.exe to run it. There was no specification as to where that folder is located. Downloads is probably not the best place for it, but it's not a fatal mistake. I'm reasonably sure that you might be able to move the folder someplace better, and I know that you can set up a shortcut to the .exe on your desktop and run it where it is.

ETA: I know that Stormwench was giving C:/Program Files as a location, but that was a suggestion. As long as everything is together in its own folder, it will work.

I am Ghost. My husband is sidneydoj. I post, he downloads, and I wanted to keep my post count.
Group for Avatar Makers* Funny Stories *2017 Yearbook
Sockpuppet
#3 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 4:33 PM
Most programs have registry settings and moving the folder will kill those.
Just uninstall SimPE by opening the folder and doubleclick unins000

Then reinstall it in the correct directory
Site Helper
#4 Old 26th Apr 2011 at 4:47 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BloomsBase
Most programs have registry settings and moving the folder will kill those.
Just uninstall SimPE by opening the folder and doubleclick unins000

Then reinstall it in the correct directory
Joselle specifically said that she used a no-install version and did not run it, so there will be no registry keys.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 27th Apr 2011 at 8:57 AM
Thank y'all sooo much for replying! I have been so anxious about all of this, and I feel way better now!

Ghost: I'm glad to hear this wasn't a fatal mistake. Everything "SimPe" is sitting inside of the aforementioned folder in my Downloads folder--I never tried to run the program
BloomsBase: Unfortunately there is no "unins000" inside the "SimPe_0_73_44_Q" folder, hence my panic (thank you for the suggestion!)
Mootilda: Hooray for no registry keys!

Again, thank you so much for replying--I am breathing a very huge sigh of relief right now
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 8:59 PM
I realize this thread is now old, but I still need some assistance.

Due to RL events, I was unable to do anything about the location of my SimPE folder, and it has still sat in my computer's main downloads folder (NOT DESKTOP), untouched. Since I never tried running it (I still plan to check the registry,though), would it be safe to go through the "Clean Install" procedures? Or is it safe to just delete the folder and re-download everything?
Site Helper
#7 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 2:15 AM
Since you've never run it, I believe that it should be perfectly safe to just delete the folder. Alternatively, just move the folder to a better location on your hard drive.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#8 Old 2nd Nov 2013 at 9:41 PM
Okay, so, going to do this and saw that in the instructions it says of course to make the new directory in "Program Files"...I have two: Program Files and Program Files(x86). I think it's the "x86" one, but is it?
Site Helper
#9 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 1:28 AM
Yes, use the x86 one.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 3rd Nov 2013 at 1:22 AM
Thank you Mootilda!! As always, your help is greatly appreciated!