Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 2:13 AM
Default not sure where to go
I have a question for the original sims "I have no idea where to go to ask this, move this to the correct area please. I've searched EVERYWHERE for a answer and nothing seems to help no one seems to have a answer I'm lost and frustrated. I have the complete collection for Sims 1, now I have windows 7 so yeah, anyways I can get to the installtion window running in administrator, and compatibility is on windows XP service pack 2 since that seems to be the only one that will even let me get that far. I put in the code and it begins to download on the first disc, when it reaches 95% and tries to download exp 5 it stops and says theres a cab error or something like that. Ive seen other people that have had the same exact problem but they have also been getting run around answers. I just really want to play it. If anyone can help me get past that please help. I'm tired and frustrated with this. I dont have sims 2 and Sims 3 isnt supported on my computer cause of my graphics doesn't support some shader thingy. So those aren't a option at the moment. Thank you in advance.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 8:28 AM
Its not Windows 7.
Its your Disk. Try to clean it the best you can, because ive got Windows 7, and it works fine. Nothing can really be done if its a disk issue. You will need to buy a new copy.

And how are you running Windows 7 if you cant run The Sims 2? The sims 2 is pretty fair when it comes to System Requirements. Have you even tried to run the game? At least on lowest settings?
Theorist
#3 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 2:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
And how are you running Windows 7 if you cant run The Sims 2? The sims 2 is pretty fair when it comes to System Requirements. Have you even tried to run the game? At least on lowest settings?

If I read her post correctly she doesn't own The Sims 2, hence why she wants to play TS1.

A lot of people seem to have issues installing and playing TS1 on Windows 7 (and 8) while others seem to have no problem at all - I installed the game and all expansion packs on my windows 7 laptop and it plays fine, I didn't even need to change compatiability mode. I just need to remember to run it in administrator or it hangs forever in the neighborhood stage trying to update neighborhoods for the expansion packs. There are a few suggestions in the thread I linked to, but you've probably already tried them.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Forum Resident
#4 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 3:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Phoeberg
If I read her post correctly she doesn't own The Sims 2, hence why she wants to play TS1.

A lot of people seem to have issues installing and playing TS1 on Windows 7 (and 8) while others seem to have no problem at all - I installed the game and all expansion packs on my windows 7 laptop and it plays fine, I didn't even need to change compatiability mode. I just need to remember to run it in administrator or it hangs forever in the neighborhood stage trying to update neighborhoods for the expansion packs. There are a few suggestions in the thread I linked to, but you've probably already tried them.

Its true she said that, however she seems to know she cant run it. Which, if she can run Windows 7 in an at least usable state, she 100% should run The Sims 2 on AT LEAST lowest settings.

Anyways, ive never had problems installing it on Windows 7. Ive always used Windows 7 64Bit, Ultimate edition. And the copy of the game is the complete collection, which is on 4 Cds. The thing with this, is the OS would not be causing a CAB error. The disk is likely:
A. Corrupt
B. Damaged
Scholar
#5 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 8:10 PM
Quote: Originally posted by residenteviloutbreak
Its true she said that, however she seems to know she cant run it. Which, if she can run Windows 7 in an at least usable state, she 100% should run The Sims 2 on AT LEAST lowest settings.

Anyways, ive never had problems installing it on Windows 7. Ive always used Windows 7 64Bit, Ultimate edition. And the copy of the game is the complete collection, which is on 4 Cds. The thing with this, is the OS would not be causing a CAB error. The disk is likely:
A. Corrupt
B. Damaged

She said she doesn't have Sims 2 (and she can't run sims 3 because her graphics card doesn't support pixel shader 2) she didn't say she couldn't run Sims 2. I can see how you read it that way though, I read it that way too on first glance.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 11th Jan 2013 at 11:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by OctoberDreams
I have a question for the original sims "I have no idea where to go to ask this, move this to the correct area please. I've searched EVERYWHERE for a answer and nothing seems to help no one seems to have a answer I'm lost and frustrated. I have the complete collection for Sims 1, now I have windows 7 so yeah, anyways I can get to the installtion window running in administrator, and compatibility is on windows XP service pack 2 since that seems to be the only one that will even let me get that far. I put in the code and it begins to download on the first disc, when it reaches 95% and tries to download exp 5 it stops and says theres a cab error or something like that. Ive seen other people that have had the same exact problem but they have also been getting run around answers. I just really want to play it. If anyone can help me get past that please help. I'm tired and frustrated with this. I dont have sims 2 and Sims 3 isnt supported on my computer cause of my graphics doesn't support some shader thingy. So those aren't a option at the moment. Thank you in advance.

I've had that install error myself a time or two. Best thing I can think of is to make sure your disk is clean and there aren't any scratches/cracks. If the disk is damaged you might have to try to find a new copy of TS1 (which is going to be a pain in the neck).

Something that worked for me the couple times I've had this error is to simply start the install process over - rewriting over what's already there. Some times I've had to manually delete the Maxis\The Sims directory but I think most of the time I just pull out the disk that gave me fits, put disk 1 back in, and restarted the install process. Yeah, it's a pain having to start over again but I haven't had a time yet where the install process has killed out on me twice in a row.
Forum Resident
#7 Old 12th Jan 2013 at 1:49 AM
Well if you do end up needing a new copy, http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Sims-1-...=item232701609b

That is only $12 USD. Includes the game and serial key. Its ONLY THE BASE GAME, but a good replacement.

EDIT: Octoberdreams please check your inbox. Thanks.