Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 10:16 PM
What do you do to get friends?
What do you do to get friends in this game? I find it quite challenging. If you talk to much with the person it will just give you negative relationship points.

If i need a new friend to a promotion i often visit some travel destination and look up a child. Then i make everything i can with it, as children in this game are pretty open-minded and they are social! It also goes pretty fast.

Do you have any other tips?
Advertisement
And all the maladies of the world burst forth from Pandora's cooch
#2 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 10:36 PM
I usually stick people in a hot tub and then block it so people can't get out. They'll happily chat away with each other, raising the relationship
Scholar
#3 Old 25th Jan 2013 at 10:55 PM
Stand on the street, talking to them until your Sim pee's their pants and passes out in the puddle. I hate the slow socialization in the Sims. Like ButchSims said, the hot tub is really a good bet. I think they get social from playing chess too, which will kill 3 birds with one stone ~social~fun~logic. That may be a Sims 2 thing though...it's all starting to get a bit fuzzy.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 10:40 AM
I've always hated how hard it is to socialize in The Sims, especially when they get the 2nd relationship bar that comes with Hot Date. I am currently playing with only the base game and Livin' Large where a little talking is enough to make sims become friends :D
Mad Poster
#5 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 3:25 PM
It is slower than in two, but it's not that hard. It's easier if you put multiple households into the neighborhood so you can snag people in the welcome wagon, but even just going downtown, greet a bunch of people, mouse over their thumbnails to find a starsign that isn't repelled, ask what they're into, and talk away, changing topic to match what they're into. Chess raises social; so do all the games; so do hot-tubbing, the campfire, eating together, dancing together - all group activities are good for relationships.

I always found it easiest to work relationships from both sides by making friends with playables, and maintaining circles of friends by inviting more than one person over at a time. That way the active sim can work on his lowest relationship in the bunch and the other two can work on theirs.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#6 Old 26th Jan 2013 at 3:58 PM
How talk is received has a lot to do with which expansion you have installed. You could repeat the action endlessly in the base game. As stated above, group activities are helpful. If you're really in a hurry to make friends for promotion purposes, take an acquaintance (not a friend) downtown on a date for some yakity yak yak at a local eatery. One long meal usually results in a friendship score. Be careful if your starting score is high because a dinner date can too easily lead to a crush and jealousy.

My strategy for the game was to typically have a child in the household who maintained friendships with the neighbors while the adults focused on skills. Going to the neighborhood locations that came with Unleashed was useful for meeting and keeping up with the neighbors.

Whenever I've run someone through the scientist career, they would make many inadvertent "friends" by playing with the chemistry set. Promotions came easy.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.