Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 9:56 AM
Default What hooked you to sims 1?
Did sims 1 hook you onto the franchise? How did you get sims 1?

About an hour ago I found my sims 1 disc. My sister and I use to play for hours.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 1:30 PM
My younger brother bought the Double Deluxe version just before he came to visit me on his way home way back when. He couldn't wait to play it, so he asked if he could install it on my computer. He played it for about an hour and then said it wasn't really his kind of game, even though he did enjoy it. He also noticed I couldn't take my eyes off of it. So he gave me his game. I have been a fan ever since.

Are you having patching problems?
Mad Poster
#3 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 3:29 PM
Who the h**** disagrees with the posts above? I just don't get it! Stupid trolls!

My son hooked me on it. We had to get a new computer to play the game we kept hearing about from friends. We bought it and my son when to work building a family of a Dad, Mom, and son that looked so much like himself. He spent too much on moving the family and building onto their home and they didn't have enough things to keep them happy. They were depressed all the time and didn't like each other. In other words, my son hadn't figured out how to play the game yet. At some point he told me they were unhappy all the time and he was thinking of starting over with a new family. I asked him to give them to me and that is how I got hooked.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#4 Old 11th Jul 2014 at 10:11 PM Last edited by Al3x : 11th Jul 2014 at 10:50 PM.
My older cousins got me hooked when I was like 5. They had it on PC & Playstation & I didn't wanna stop playing. Funny thing, now both them don't like the game.
Test Subject
#5 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 4:00 AM
I got hooked to The Sims 1 because it was the only game of the genre I had ever played. It made a very welcome change from the other games I was hooked to at the time such as UT.

When I got the game, my kidneys had finally deteriorated to a point of unsuitability, I think I was 13 or 14. This meant I was not a very active teenager. The Sims kept me going through those tough times.

Still play the games to this day and I have no doubt I will do so for the foreseeable future.
Instructor
#6 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 12:29 PM
I loved building houses, that was my favorite. And the music, oh! The music! Jerry Martin's soundtracks were phenomenal in TS1 and SC3K. I wish they'd bring him back, but he probably knows better than to work for E.A.
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Who the h**** disagrees with the posts above? I just don't get it! Stupid trolls!

Pay it no mind. Some people just like to be dicks, it's just who they are.
Lab Assistant
#7 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 7:30 PM
My older sister pirated it for me when I was younger. (don't worry i have the actual versions as a hand-me-down from my sister's best friend hahaha)
Scholar
#8 Old 21st Jul 2014 at 8:07 PM
My younger brother bought it the day it came out, played a few hours and got bored and gave it to me. I was in uni at the time. I have been playing ever since, though I play TS2 now.

Paladins/SimWardrobes downloads: https://simfileshare.net/folder/87849/
Forum Resident
#9 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 1:30 AM
It was supposed to be a Christmas present for my son, but I kind of took it over.
Lab Assistant
#10 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 2:10 AM
My older sister had a computer in her room with the sims 1 installed on it, and wouldn't let me play. This was between 2003-2006 so I was between the age of 7-10 so naturally, I snuck into her room to play it, and I've been hooked ever since.
I just thought that it was this really cool looking game and when I started playing, everything about it just sucked me in.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 10:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Simmer4Life1996
My older sister had a computer in her room with the sims 1 installed on it, and wouldn't let me play. This was between 2003-2006 so I was between the age of 7-10 so naturally, I snuck into her room to play it, and I've been hooked ever since.
I just thought that it was this really cool looking game and when I started playing, everything about it just sucked me in.
Haha! How did you manage to keep your sister from finding out? She must have noticed changes in her game.

Instructor
#12 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 4:34 PM
I remember the day I bought my first sims game fondly.
My mom and I were shopping at Target, and I had just saved up enough money to buy a new computer game. I saw that they had "The Sims: Unleashed" on sale. I had no idea what I was getting myself into at the time, being that I was maybe 6 or 7 years old.

I didn't buy the base game and Unleashed was an EP, I had to borrow the base game from my cousin who was maybe 17 then.
Then for Christmas the next year (?) I got The Sims: Complete Collection. Which, I happily still own, and wish I could play.
*Nostalgically cries*

It was just so...great. It gave me the storytelling powers I had exactly wanted when I was that age.
TS2 keeps me quite entertained nowadays. :~)
Mad Poster
#13 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 8:57 PM
My friend from school had it and I played it at her house, I was totally hooked. My mum wouldn't let me buy it because she had heard that having games on your computer would break it. My sister and I owned two computer games each, I owned Theme Park World and Creatures, and she owned Catz 4 and some compilation of old windows games (mostly puzzles and card games and such). We were only allowed to install one game each at a time so we had to uninstall one every time we wanted to play the other.

I used to go over to friend 1's house all the time to play sims. Every time someone had sims, I would insist on playing it. When my best friend got it, I went to her house and just started playing it for I think it was about seven hours straight O_O my poor friend! We were about 12 at the time. I had no concept at the time that I was doing anything bad, but she must have been too polite to say anything. Eventually she kicked me off to go home because her mum was starting to get concerned for my eyes.

Eventually I think we got a better computer and I convinced my mum that I should be allowed to buy the game. I bought double deluxe and spent many happy hours on it. The friend who originally introduced me to the game lent me all of her CDs and I think I just bought Makin Magic - or was the last EP superstar? Superstar was the only one I never played. I remember the day when she told me that there would be a Sims 2 coming out at some point in the future. I didn't believe her at first because it sounded too good to be true. As screenshots and interviews started to come out about it, I got really excited and would spend ages and ages on internet sites poring over the new game which sounded amazing. I wasn't disappointed I still play TS2.
Top Secret Researcher
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2014 at 11:58 PM
When I was 4, I think, and it was 2001, my older cousin bought ts1 and at the same time I startet hanging out at his place. So he showed me the game and I was fascinated how you can create and even more how you can control the lives of people in that game. At the end of the game sesion the fire breaks out (cliche) and my sim grandmother dies in it. I was so terified of Grim Reaper but he also looked kinda funny. Cousin told me that I don't need to save the death but the house I made will also be deleted. So I saved XD. After few years my cousin discovered the sims making magic and I liked how your sims jumped into the hole in the ground (like that old cartoon- Teletubies). I loved the sims Even more. At elementary school, in computer room there was ts1 installed on every computer and I used to play it whenever we had a class in it. But clasroom got locked ad I forgot how the game was called. At 4th grade I got my first very own computer (not that old crap I used to play pac-man) and at the same time I found out about ts2 from my best friend. I used to play it at her place, but after I collected money I bought one. It was my first game! But funy thing is that I thought that it was still ts1 even when it was writen ts2. And after finding out the real truth i decided to go on a MOD spree. All good stuff brought me to this site. When I got ts3 I remember being disgusted wit those short pudding sims and rabbitholes. It eventually grow on me and I was too happy when CAW got out. Now I like ts3, but not as much as I love ts1 and ts2.
Lab Assistant
#15 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 9:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Haha! How did you manage to keep your sister from finding out? She must have noticed changes in her game.

Umm well I set fire to the simselves of us and I told my mum and she told me to not save it and I think soon after that my sister lost interest in it. Can't really remember.
Test Subject
#16 Old 26th Jul 2014 at 10:19 AM
My nephews and niece got me into Sims 1 when I was visiting my sister for Thanksgiving I'm pretty sure they lost interest ages ago but I'm still hooked!
Forum Resident
#17 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 3:30 AM
We actually got it a bit late, around 2006, when I was about 6. My older sister, who would have been 14 at the time, got it at Gamestop and I watched her play it for a bit and then started playing myself. Just the idea of being able to tell people what to do and play the game however the hell I want without worrying about having to complete goals or follow the rules is what hooked me. I know some people like that kind of gameplay, but sometimes I don't want to go running around doing chores for people or do what the game tells me. I want to write my own rules, and I can with The Sims, which is why it's has been my favorite video game for the past 7 or 8 years.

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Forum Resident
#18 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 3:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mixa97sr
At elementary school, in computer room there was ts1 installed on every computer and I used to play it whenever we had a class in it.

Really? I find that amazing since it's rated Teen (I know it's not generally inappropriate, with the exception of playing in bed, but still). Did they just let you guys play it in your free time?

The simmer formerly known as Averex
My Claim to Fame
Mad Poster
#19 Old 28th Jul 2014 at 2:48 PM
There was a project that one or two elementary school teachers did with their class(es) involving the Sims and creating some village from another culture. It's an interesting way of getting young students to think about a few of the differences another culture might experience, even if it is limited. Still, it generates enthusiasm and encourages research.

Instructor
#20 Old 1st Aug 2014 at 11:10 PM
I was about 11 years old, and not particularly interested in gaming. Sure, I had been playing some NES/SNES, a few first person shooter games etc, but I wasn't really following the news and trends. I had however gotten my very own PC about a year earlier (floppy discs are giving me shivers of nostalgia).

One day, my dad bought himself a (for the time being) monster laptop, which broke down after only a couple of weeks. He took it back to the retailer, and as a compensation, he got to pick a game from the shelves for free. His eyes fell on the TS1 base game, which had been released only weeks earlier, as he thought it would be a fun game for me to play.

When he brought the game home to me, I remember thinking something like "The Sims? Never heard of it, but it must have some kind of connection to the SimCity games."

As I installed it on my PC, I called a friend over, and we ventured into the world of The Sims together. I've been hooked ever since, and I own all the titles, every EP and SP that has ever been released, all thanks to dad's faulty laptop.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 12:50 AM
When I was a lot younger, I remember running around my Dad's "office" (my parents bedroom) in my teletubby pyjamas while he was studying at university and I saw SimCity 2000 and decided it looked pretty awesome. I didn't get to play it though, partly because my Dad didn't want me to play around on his computer and also because I was about 3 at the time so I really wouldnt've known what I was doing and I forgot about it for a long time...
Then I saw a trailer for Sims 2 on TV, the one where a child is hitting things (I think the tv? and possibly a parent?) with a bat and I thought it looked like a hilarious game. The tagline was also "How would you play with life?" or something, and I dunno from that moment I really wanted it. I was around the age of 9 and about a year before that I had been given my very first games console - a Ps1. (Yeah I know Ps2s were out by then but my parents broke up when I was younger and my Dad had taken his computer with him and I was raised by my Mother who didn't know anything about video games. My cousin had got a ps1 and I showed an interest so for Christmas 2002 I got my own) I pestered about that game for months and months. We had gotten a family computer and I had played some "educational games", Creatures and a "Dogz" game but the computer was rarely used at all because I really liked playing with my dolls and playing outside, and ofcourse my ps1. Because Christmas was so far away, my Mum felt bad for me and had seen the Sims ps1 game in a shop, so she bought it for me and I loved it to death. I played it constantly. I remember first playing with the Roomies family and I didn't know how to zoom in or put the walls down so I could barely see my sims half of the time and I thought you had to press "go here" before making them do things (such as clicking near the cooker and picking 'go here' then clicking on the cooker and clicking 'cook'). Eventually I got Sims 2 and I loved it. Around the time I also got the Original Sims and all the EPs. I use to play it with my sister (but I'd usually play it more. She was more into reading than playing video games) and years later when we got the internet in 2006, we'd both write stories on the exchange until she decided she was "too old for sims" when she was about 14 (Funny, I'm now almost 20 and I still haven't "outgrown" it).

For a short time, it really did bring me and my sister together, seeing as throughout our childhood we were complete opposites. She hated playing games and prefered reading, whereas I loved playing with dolls and playing in the garden with the neighbours children whenever I was allowed. but every night we'd both sit down together at the computer and play Sims (usually her watching me, but sometimes she would play). It also became a bit of a 'family game'. I use to tell my Mum all about my game and what I was doing on it, and whenever I'd start my game up she'd sing the Sims 2 theme tune (or "nah nah nah, nah nah naaa, na na na naa naa SIMS!" as she'd sing) and then ask how I was doing on my game, and what was going on, and I'd show her pictures I'd taken of my game and we'd talk on what I was planning for my neighbourhood, and what stuff I had made on Bodyshop. Really if she hadnt've died before I moved away, I would probably be calling her up every day now to tell her what I've been doing on my game. Also I think I really annoy my younger siblings, whenever my little brother needs his laptop fixing - he gets it back and BOOM sims is installed, with atleast one Stuff pack and whatever stuffpack I felt like "letting him borrow". For a short time he liked Sims, because he liked making anime characters in it (and making them kiss o.O). My other little brotehr and little sisters haven't exactly played Sims because they're too little to really understand it, but believe me, when they're older I plan on also sneakily installing it on every laptop they ever plan on owning in an attempt at getting them into it. Because really that game taught me so much. I'm really thankful for the franchise. Thanks to Sims I've learned to read and write a lot better, as well as understanding code, understanding how to download things and put them in my game, and how to recolour stuff in body shop and also how to write stories.

I went on a bit of a rant... but you get the idea.

~Your friendly neighborhood ginge
Field Researcher
#22 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 9:23 AM
My mother got me hooked to The Sims -series, especially the first game. It was Summer 2006 and we had just moved to a new place - I didn't know anyone and didn't really have much to do so she ordered me The Sims 1 Complete Collection. It was previously used but in great shape and I pretty much spent most of my summer with it. We played it together at first because Betty and Bob Newbie's babies kept getting taken by the Social Worker and my mom tried to help me with it. I remember when we played with Michael Bachelor and he was so unhappy and whining all the time that my mother really lost her nerves with him.

I'd still like to play The Sims 1 but unfortunately the Complete Collection broke after years of use (and to be honest I wasn't as cautious with CDs as I should've been back then!) and later on when I ordered other used The Sims 1 -games they weren't in a very good condition at all. I'm planning to buy the Complete Collection again some day when I have the money to buy an unused copy of it and when I have a computer that can smoothly run it. But it's funny, after all these years and all these new games in the series I still find myself missing the original. These days I play mostly with The Sims 2 and use a neighborhood, found here at MTS, called Old Town, which is a copy of the neighborhood in TS1. It's really great, brings the best of both worlds in my opinion.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 18th Aug 2014 at 11:33 AM
I loved that! It reminded me of when we got the game, after my son gave me the family he started, he was playing with Bob and Betty. He had built this mansion with tiny rooms like a maze and everything in the world was in them. There were so many distractions that, when they did have a baby, Bob and Betty kept wandering off and the social worker took the baby. My son cried. We both failed to realize that we did not need to save the game and he was so upset, he didn't want to play. I sat with him and we walked through the baby scenario together, talking about needs and strategies. My son walled off a part of the mansion where the baby was so that the Newbies would be confined to a single room. He called it the "emergency room" and put everything in there necessary for survival, including some really fun items so that the parents would not have a failure state due to stress. He was hysterical with his sense of urgency and when the baby became a child, my son was soooo proud! Good times.

Field Researcher
#24 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 3:55 AM
Watched the sim's makin magic stream and decided to get the sims 1 double deluxe. Now the complete collection is coming in the mail though the basegame/livin' large is the only one I've played.
Inventor
#25 Old 18th Sep 2014 at 12:09 PM
I was an avid SC 2000 player and when I read something like "the next Maxis game will take SC to the personal level", with the player being able to control individuals instead of the whole town, I was immediately hooked; I bought TS as soon as it became available. And that's the start of the story.
Page 1 of 3