Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 8:56 PM
Default Money without Rosebud
Who doesn't love rolling in cash? Rosebud allows you to build mega-mansions with every toy imaginable to a Sim. But, what if you don't use Rosebud? What are some of the other ways to earn/make/find/generate funds?

Everyone has a favorite. Mine is to change jobs as soon as there's a requirement that my Sim doesn't have yet. Those bonuses add up quickly.

I also love getting the genie lamp and making wishes. Whenever there are goods (plants, fountain, hot tub, train set), I sell it. It's a great way to make cash as long as you put a smoke alarm in every room.

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 9:54 PM
I like using the craft objects, like the gnome making table and the nectar presser. If the sim has the required skill filled almost to the maximum then they can make quite a bit of money from those objects. For instance the gnome table will give you $100 per gnome if you've maxed out the mechanical skill which can add up pretty quickly! Also, if the sim in question uses magic then I like the money making charm for some quick money.

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Jul 2012 at 10:45 PM
The money charm worked really well. You could easily thrive on that with money to spare on lots of fun stuff.

I've used the gnome station before to make a living. It has a good payout, but it's also a bit tiring. Typically, how many gnomes a day do your Sims make? Do you work them to exhaustion or take breaks to rest up?

Forum Resident
#4 Old 11th Jul 2012 at 12:25 AM
I personally like my sims making preservatives. It's fun to watch.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 12th Jul 2012 at 4:46 AM
I always liked to have one family that lived entirely on farming. I had hacked gardens that worked more like TS2 gardens (kids could do more with them, and they improved fun), the fruit plants, nectar presses, and Persimmon Grove's chooks, which I'd sell when they built up sufficient profit. God, I loved Persimmon Grove stuff! I wish the people who did it had created for TS2, as well, but at least the site's still up.
http://persimmon.ephralon.de/

The money spell was good when it worked. And I worked the easels and workbenches hard. But mostly I had my sims advancing in their careers and making money honestly. I never used rosebud.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 1:50 AM
Hmm...not sure if this is another way or not. If you move a family out of a lot and bulldoze the house, then move the family back into the lot, they start out refreshed and ready to get promotions in their jobs faster. Perhaps that's another way to make money faster.

Scholar
#7 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by VerDeTerre
Hmm...not sure if this is another way or not. If you move a family out of a lot and bulldoze the house, then move the family back into the lot, they start out refreshed and ready to get promotions in their jobs faster. Perhaps that's another way to make money faster.

Another case where real life should be more like the sims. I've moved house a lot in the last 5 years, can't say it's ever left me feeling refreshed...or ready to get anything, except a good sleep

You could sell your sims with the move objects cheat and they'd reappear refreshed when you clicked their thumbnail.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#8 Old 17th Jul 2012 at 7:11 PM
That is a lot quicker, of course. I was looking for ways that exploit the in-game given methods of gaining wealth faster. Moving incurs losses of goods, so it isn't worth it that way. It worked with my group of Sims because their house was haphazard and not what I ultimately wanted for them anyway. The bonus was their awesome mood on move-in day. And, the way I saw it, they were moving in with more than they had the first time around even though their net worth was barely over $20,000.

Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Jul 2012 at 6:05 AM
It was sometimes strategically a good idea for a sim with a lot of skills to quit a job and get a new one. They'd start at the bottom, and take a theoretical pay cut, but as long as you kept getting them out the door in a good mood they'd get a promotion, with the accompanying bonus, every day till they reached a level for which they actually needed to skill.

A money-saving thing to do was to buy something you needed - say, the exercise machine - use it hard for a few hours till you got the necessary skill point, then sell it back immediately, before the value decay set in.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)