Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:24 PM
Default Atheism
I did a search in this forum, and was surprised when this didn't come up. There are many things to consider when talking about atheism.

1. Is there a supreme being?
2. Why is your (if you have one) religion the right one?
3. Is atheism wrong?
4. Are atheists at a disadvantage in today's theistic world?
5. Is it okay for atheists to try to spread their views?
6. Is religion (in general) becoming more powerful or fading out?

These are just a few topics that can be discussed here, and I'm curious to see what you can come up with to debate about atheists.

And yes, in the poll I know atheism is not a religion, but it should still be an option. Also, you can look at this site for information on atheism:
http://atheism.about.com/
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:31 PM
No idea.

I think the fact that there's so many religions goes to show that there is no right one, if the belief system creates kind, accepting people then thatis a religion that's 'better' than others that don't teach kindness and other good things.

3. Is atheism wrong?
No.

This conflicts (somewhat) with 6. And no, there's no shirt that says HAY I'M ATHEIST when they go in for a job interview, no way to tell an atheist from a non-atheist.

Is it okay for Christians or Buddhists (for balance) to spread their views?

Both ways, somehow, in a secular nation such as the U.S., Obama's religion played a large role in the campaign, but its fading out in many European nations, and hopefully the U.S. as well.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:36 PM
I said atheist as well. It annoys me when Christians stop you to chat and when you say you're atheist they go all morbid. "So you think when you die your life is over and the maggots will eat you?"

Jeez, you didn't have to say it like that.

I think a lot of people follow certain religions because they were brought up that way. I was never taught religion, my family isn't religious, and therefore none of the ideas stuck with me.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:48 PM
First, and foremost, I wonder why Agnostic wasn't a choice in your poll. That is how I consider myself, and why I chose other.

I find it difficult to say that there is no 'supreme being.' But I find it very hard to believe any of the 'religious' beliefs, that I am aware of, as being accurate.

I am agnostic, and as such don't feel that "God" can really be known or understood. That being said, I don't necessarily believe it is the "right way" to believe. Belief in something is a very powerful thing, and can be a 'good' powerful thing. But, unfortunately this isn't always the case.

3. Is atheism wrong?
No. It may be 'wrong' for you (general you there) but be perfectly 'right' for someone else.

I don't see how one can consider it being a disadvantage, unless you mean by being 'persecuted' for not having a specific "God."

In my experience, athiests do not "preach" their beliefs. However, if some did, I see it no differently than a Christian, Jew, Muslim, or Buddist spreading their views.

Considering 95% of human population believes in a diety or higher power in some form or other... I do not feel that religion is fading out. At all.

-Peace

I am not bigoted for race, gender, sexual orientation, nationality, or age... I do, however, have a big problem with stupidity, and stupidity knows no boundaries.
Theorist
#5 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 10:51 PM
I would like a bit of clarification...Nineteen, how are you defining Christian and Non-Denominational? Does Christian include all of Catholicism, Protestantism, Baptist, Greek Orthodox, etc? I ask because within the Protestant wing of Christianity, there are "non-denominational" churches, meaning they don't belong to any particular group. Or are you using non-denominational to refer to those that believe in God in a general sense, but can't define themselves as Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. (Perhaps if that is what you mean, Agnostic might be a better choice of words) Further, any Mormons seeing the poll might get annoyed that Mormonism is listed separately from Christianity, they would tell you they are Christian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obama on ABC's This Week, discussing Obamacare
What it's saying is, is that we're not going to have other people carrying your burdens for you anymore
umm...Isn't having other people carry your medical burden exactly what national health care is?
Scholar
#6 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 11:09 PM
Being an Atheist, I'm somewhat confused if this is actually a 'debate' but all the same...

1. No, I don't believe so.

2. I personally am uncomfortable and very unconvinced by the notion of a cosmic, omnipresent, all-powerful entity. I am not an agnostic because I don't believe there's enough evidence to sufficiently convince me it could "be other way"--personally, I view the deck as being extremely stacked. I'd be the first to acknowledge I could be mistaken--that doesn't make me an agnostic (no more than a Christian who admits he may be mistaken is one)

3. No--no more than Christianity or Judaism or Islam could be wrong. The case could be made that it is less wrong, since historically, atheists have avoided imposing atheist beliefs on the unwilling, especially when compared to their monotheistic or polytheistic counterparts. Then again, atheism in a modern sense is a fairly new notion by comparison.

4. Well, from a professional and cultural standpoint, perhaps--there are, in reality, a number of professions where you cannot express that you are an atheist and expect to remain in them, much less comfortably. Of course, the same could be said about Jews and other religions.

5. I'm reluctant to say 'yes', because I personally oppose all proselytizing of a religious kind, and atheist does deal with religion. Then again, there are millions of Christian missionaries worldwide, and almost every religion makes some effort to convert members to their faith--so I suppose it's okay. I'd rather it weren't the case though.

6. It depends. A lot of people cite the notion that 90% (or whatever) of human beings believe in a supreme diety--but within this body, a lot of those believers would consider eachother atheists. The problem is further complicated by a western perception that people who believe in 'Eastern religions' are religions--that's part of a monotheistic tradition, however. I personally know people who are followers of Buddhism or Shintoism, and consider themselves Atheist (they abide by the philosophies, but think the notion of divinity is rather silly). Confucianism is considered by some to be a religion, even though it very little to do with God or Gods of any kind normally.

I don't believe religion is fading by any means, but I think people overestimate the portion of humans who are religious.

"We're on sob day two of Operation Weeping-Bald-Eagle-Liberty-Never-Forget-Freedom-Watch sniff no word yet sob on our missing patriot Glenn Beck sob as alleged-President Hussein Obama shows his explicit support sniff for his fellow communists by ruling out the nuclear option."
Banned
#7 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 11:13 PM
First I'd like to say that I'm an "other", not really agnostic and not particularly religious either.

That depends on if you count the universe as being a living being.

I'm unsure if what I believe is a religion, I do however believe that my beliefs are a bit more plausible than some others. I believe that the universe as a whole is God(stars, planets, beings, galaxies, etc). I also believe that all living beings are just one aspect of God trying to figure the universe(God) out, ie why is it here and other questions of that nature.

3. Is atheism wrong?
It's as wrong and as right as any other religion in our history.

Depends really, I don't really think that the world is theistic, unless of course you mean that the majority of people in the world have a religious belief of any kind. They aren't at an advantage or a disadvantage than any other religion.

Sure, at least in the US, though I'm unsure about many other countries, the constitution allows for any and all religions to spread their views as long as the government doesn't make any one of them a national religion.

As Blake said, both, it all depends on where one is in the world, here in the US I definitely believe it's becoming less powerful but not necessarily fading out.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 2nd Dec 2008 at 11:24 PM
I believe there is a supreme being. For me it is the most logical explanation to why we are all here.

I don't necessarily believe Catholicism/Christianity is the right religion. I also don't believe all other religions are wrong. I feel that they all tie together somehow.

3. Is atheism wrong?
No. Absolutely not. Atheists are no different morally than other people. For all I know, there is no ultimate creator or afterlife. Atheism is a valid belief (or lack of), not some made up mumbo jumbo.

I don't think so. Views become more secular everyday, which is not a bad thing, allowing less focus on someones religion.

Atheists could go door to door and that's fine with me. It would be hypocritical to see atheists "preaching" something, but I see no problem with that.

Religion has been as powerful as it always has been. Good or bad I don't know. No matter how much people try to push religion away it will influence everyone's everyday lives somehow. That's not to say that religion is all powerful, but that because so many people follow some deity, there will always be religion.
Scholar
#9 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Blake
And no, there's no shirt that says HAY I'M ATHEIST

Well, there are shirts that convey that message, such as those featuring the 'scarlet letter of atheism'. But they're not compulsory garments of atheists, if that is what you mean (i.e. some atheists, including myself, don't wear those shirts).

Quote: Originally posted by Synthesis
Being an Atheist, I'm somewhat confused if this is actually a 'debate' but all the same...

Just wait. There will be a debate soon.

Quote: Originally posted by davious
Or are you using non-denominational to refer to those that believe in God in a general sense, but can't define themselves as Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. (Perhaps if that is what you mean, Agnostic might be a better choice of words)

No, agnostic is not really appropriate for that. Perhaps deist, or just 'spiritual' or something. An agnostic isn't confident whether there is a God or not (and may believe such a thing cannot be known).
Mad Poster
#10 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:19 AM
1. No, there is not.

2. We all believe that our religion is the "right" one, but there's really no explaining why. To analyze it, I suppose that I'm rather unconvinced and skeptical of the notion of a supreme deity. To me, it seems like far-fetched wishful thinking that people buy into because they need something to explain life's incontinuities. I think that we should all live in the here and now and do what we want to do because WE want to do it, not because it will buy a ticket into heaven. However, I take no issue with those who practice organized religion and recognize their right to freely do so even if it doesn't appeal to me.

3. Absolutely not. No religion is wrong- it's just what people believe.

4. I think it depends on location. Where I live (a very conservative part of the United States), I do think that it's a disadvantage to be an atheist, but it's one that I'm willing to undergo. To be an atheist in this location is to be the work of the devil, but even though it irritates me to no end, I'm able to live with it. I'm not going to change my views because of the fact that other people dislike them, and the inherent hatred for atheism around here is why I prefer not to discuss religion.

5. I don't like the idea of conversion in its basest form- I understand why it might have been necessary in olden days, but now that the average person can access any religion they so please on the Internet, I don't see the need for door-to-door conversion. I myself see it as a rude, pushy thing to do, but the fact remains that atheists have just as much right as any other religion (or lack thereof) to convert.

6. Again, it depends where you are. I think that, here in the United States, religion is becoming increasingly tied up in government (which is NOT okay), and it's something that needs to be amended. However, in other countries, the situation may be different.

Do I dare disturb the universe?
| tumblr | My TS3 Photos |
Mad Poster
#11 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:30 AM
1. Do you believe in a supreme being? I don't believe in a supreme being.

2. Why is your (if you have one) religion the right one? I am an atheist, and I do not believe in God, or any form of supreme being. Obviously I feel that I am correct about this, otherwise I wouldn't be an atheist! So in my book that makes atheism the right "religion".

3. Is atheism wrong? No. In my experience there are few people who would think that it is, though I have met many people who find it hard to imagine how someone can cope with life/existence without believing in some kind of god.

4. Are atheists at a disadvantage in today's theistic world? Not so much in the UK, as far as I know. In the profession that I am working towards (university lecturer in a science subject), being an atheist is pretty much the norm.

5. Is it okay for atheists to try to spread their views? I don't see why not, though I'm not much one for trying to convert people. I reckon everyone should just leave everybody else to make their own minds up. But that's not going to happen any time soon, so atheists have as much right as christians/muslims etc to spread their views.

6. Is religion (in general) becoming more powerful or fading out? I have no idea! In the UK I think that the number of practising christians is declining, but other religions are filling the gap. As far as power is concerned, I'm not really sure how much power religion has in the UK, though from what I've heard some religious groups can wield a lot of power in the US.
Mad Poster
#12 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:31 AM
I believe so

I'm a Christian but I must say their is no right or wrong religion. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs.
No

I know people who are atheist and honestly I have yet to see anyone really care.

I guess

I think it's gradually becoming more powerful.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Field Researcher
#13 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:44 AM
1. Is there a supreme being? I believe so, yes.

2. Why is your (if you have one) religion the right one? I'm a Christian, and I can't say that it is the right or wrong one. I don't know. I don't have the right to tell anyone that their religion is wrong.

3. Is atheism wrong? Although I may disagree with them on how this world came to be, I shouldn't tell them that they are wrong. Its a belief, just like I believe God is real.

4. Are atheists at a disadvantage in today's theistic world? Nope. If everyone had the same view, life would get so boring.

5. Is it okay for atheists to try to spread their views? Yes, we all have a freedom of speech. I don't like it when anyone trying to spread thier views gets all freaky on you though, not letting you go until you convert to theirs. I hate it when Christians are like this too.

6. Is religion (in general) becoming more powerful or fading out? I don't believe it is fading out. Most of the population on this planet are somewhat religious.

Just Call Me Allie :)
Alchemist
#14 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 2:19 AM
As an atheist I usually try to avoid this particular discussion. I don't believe there's a supreme being because it can't be proven. As an atheist though I don't try to win anyone over to my position. People have a right to believe what they believe
#15 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 2:26 AM
No, I don't believe so.

I think the most thing I have a problem with is the question implies that atheism is a religion. Isn't atheism not believing in religion in general?
The thing about religion, like most things, is that it's a matter opinon so of course whatever you believe in you consider to be 'right' but most of the time there is no 'right' or 'wrong' answer.

3. Is atheism wrong?
Of course not. People are entitled to believe whatever they wish.

I don't think so. As I identify more with atheism than anything else, I have never had a problem with it.

Well I personally don't believe it's okay for any religion, or even something that comes under the heading 'spiritual', to spread their views. People are entitled to an opinon and are free to express it, but when Mormons or whatever knock on my door, I pretty much just consider it rude.

Even though I think more people than ever are 'religious', I don't think it's all that valid. I mean people say they follow a particular religion but necessarily follow that belief in their everyday lives.
Top Secret Researcher
#16 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 2:37 AM
No. Human is all.

I'm athiest. Why give praise to a 'Godhat because you acomplished something?

3. Is atheism wrong?
No.

Depends. If the athiest is anti-gods then, yes.
For the more relaxed atheists, no.

No. I don't think people should go door to door spreading any religon.

One bonding point would be religon.
The other would be race.
Both religon and race make people easier to get along because, people of the same race and religon have the same morals.

So long, my luckless romance
My back is turned on you
I should've known you'd bring me heartache
Almost lovers always do

Test Subject
#17 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 2:58 AM
I believe there is. I just can't imagine there being nothing once you die... not thinking, not being anything at all... just.. not being. I don't get it. It's hard for me to think like that.
I don't know it's right, but in my heart it is truly what I believe in. I think it's very acceptable. People may think Wicca is crazy, but science can compliment it nicely. My religion is based on the seasons and nature, which one can't deny agrees with Science.
Wiccan is basically honoring the God(s), [In my case, I only believe in one God.),having respect for everything and taking responsibility for your actions. There isn't much to prove scientifically.
3. Is atheism wrong?
No, I just don't understand it. We are all entitled to our opinions and have the right to think how we want.
I don't think so, just like I said, I don't really understand it. I don't have a problem with it.
Sure, I think it's great; I like hearing about other people's views. Like I said, we are all entitled to our opinions and are under the fifth. I think it'd be crazy if they didn't!
I think religion is at one of it's biggest it has been, and that's great. I don't think it's fading out, necessarily.
Scholar
#18 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 3:14 AM
No, there is no supreme being. And even if such a supreme being did exist, it is inappropriate to anthropomorphize It the way that western religions commonly do (as in, the supreme being is male/female, has emotion, and requires worship, sacrifices, etc. to prove your servitude).

Rather than write about why I find religion archaic and nonsensical, I’ll explain why I’m not “agnostic” by the layman’s definition, which we understand as “undecided.” (The technical use of “agnostic” is distinctly different.)

To use a famous analogy from Bertrand Russell, let’s say I told you that there was a teapot in space orbiting Mars, but it was so infinitesimally small that you couldn’t see it with a telescope. Would you give me the benefit of the doubt and say “Oh, well, since we can’t possibly prove or disprove it I’ll just sit the fence on this issue?” No! Most reasonable people would not believe my teapot in space theory while admitting that we cannot definitively prove or disprove it. For me, stories about the existence of God, Yahweh, Shiva, Odin, etc. are as fanciful as postulating about the existence of teapots in space, invisible pink unicorns, and flying spaghetti monsters.

3. Is atheism wrong?
No

In the USA, I believe that atheists are generally at a disadvantage. (There are some exceptions, especially in scientific fields or in highly educated circles.) I tend to find that a good number of religious people are distrustful of atheists and see the words “I’m an atheist” as direct attack on their beliefs. Professionally, I have retooled how I talk about my [lack of] religion for this reason. Rather than saying I’m a strong atheist, I usually just say “not religious.”

Yes

I’m going to refer only to the USA for this one. Religion is still very powerful here; however, the younger generation is increasingly likely to have Deist beliefs rather than cleaving more dogmatic religions. There also seem to be more young agnostics & atheists. So, I think we’ll see religion losing some of its power in the USA in the next few decades.

.:Kitty Klan:.
Visit for Sims 3 Hair, Tattoos, and other free custom content downloads.

.For website updates, subscribe to my RSS feed at.
Dreamwidth Blog
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#19 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 3:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Gemmareno
I said atheist as well. It annoys me when Christians stop you to chat and when you say you're atheist they go all morbid. "So you think when you die your life is over and the maggots will eat you?"

I got attacked in the street by a mormon once. She was waving a copy of the book of mormon in my face and trying to give me pamphlets. When I explained that the book of mormon was one of many religious texts that I had read, digested and dismissed as a bad taste and that there is no god, she bashed me over the head with the book and chased me into Starbucks, yelling 'God will punish you for your sins!'.
Lab Assistant
#20 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 10:51 AM
I have no reason to believe so. All higher beings appear so human, that I can't help thinking they were created in our image.

My reasons for my non-believe rely mostly on the history of religions and the insights given by natural sciences. However I am only human and may be wrong.

3. Is atheism wrong?
Obviously I'd say no, but neither is religion. It is my strong conviction that religion played an important and maybe vital role in the shaping of civilization - and our morality, even if we call ourselves atheists.
Still I believe that in todays world of cultural and religious diversity, morality needs to have a basis in humanity itself, not in some disputable higher being.

You must come from America or some other highly religious place. Here in western Europe religion is pretty much a non-issue.

Sure, but what view apart from "your god is a lie" do they have to spread? Atheism in itself is not something worthy of being spread. But if you want to spread humanistic ideas and values I am all for it.

In some parts of the world it is fading out, in others it has a renaissance. I am not quite sure how it will end, but we certainly live in a world of much less religion than a few hundred years ago.

In an effort to maybe inspire a little debate I would like to add point
7. Do you think Pascals Wager offers a good rational for being religious? Does the idea hold any merit at all?
The philosopher and natural scientist Blaise Pascal argued that it is prudent to believe in (the Christian) god, because if you do, you either gain everything (heaven - if you are correct) or nothing if you are wrong; whereas if you don't believe, you gain nothing (if there is indeed no god) or lose everything (go to hell). So believing in god is always a better wager.
Scholar
#21 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 11:28 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BeechWell2
7. Do you think Pascals Wager offers a good rational for being religious? Does the idea hold any merit at all?

It doesn't hold any merit, because Pascal's Wager assumes that the only two alternatives are that the Christian God exists, or doesn't exist (oh, and that believing just as an insurance policy will work).

But realistically, it's entirely possible that the Hindus are right and the Christians are wrong. Or that the Ancient Romans were right, and everyone else wrong. Or that a shy god, who never started a religion or revealed himself, exists and so all religions are wrong. It's even possible that a God exists who will reward atheists, and punish believers. Once you add these possibilities into Pascal's Wager, it becomes just as ineffective to believe as it does to not believe - you will, in all likelihood, be wrong and go to hell no matter what you do.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 11:58 AM
Ah, but if you believe in any god (that promises an eternal paradise of course) you do at least have a chance to go to heaven. If you don't believe at all you are screwed anyway.
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by icequeen6767
I believe there is. I just can't imagine there being nothing once you die... not thinking, not being anything at all... just.. not being. I don't get it. It's hard for me to think like that.

I can't think like that either, I believe their is a god out their. And I don't try to convert people to my religion nor do I hate atheists. It's interesting how some of you view Christianity as if we're all bad people who think everyone is going to hell. Stop stereotyping because not every Christian is like that.

"Going to the chapel of Love"

the girls club . statistics . yearbook .
Forum Resident
#24 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I got attacked in the street by a mormon once. She was waving a copy of the book of mormon in my face and trying to give me pamphlets. When I explained that the book of mormon was one of many religious texts that I had read, digested and dismissed as a bad taste and that there is no god, she bashed me over the head with the book and chased me into Starbucks, yelling 'God will punish you for your sins!'.

Oh wow, you just made me laugh out loud at work! XD Bad simsample!

And of course not every Christian is like this - but some Christians antagonise themselves by trying to push their beliefs under your nose. My local town centre is always busy with people preaching and giving out pamphlets. If atheists took people aside in the street and tried to defame God, there would be an uproar. XD
Scholar
#25 Old 3rd Dec 2008 at 12:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BeechWell2
Ah, but if you believe in any god (that promises an eternal paradise of course) you do at least have a chance to go to heaven. If you don't believe at all you are screwed anyway.

Unless the God who exists happens to only reward non-believers...

Page 1 of 21