Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Department of Post-Mortem Communications
Original Poster
#1 Old 27th Aug 2017 at 10:47 PM Last edited by Don Babilon : 27th Aug 2017 at 11:14 PM.
Default A couple of questions - new re-install
I'm in the process of reinstalling Sims 1 on an old computer and have a couple of questions.

1. I remember that there was a bug once you installed one of the later EPs that all interests that came with Hot Date were wiped from existing families. But I also dimly remember that there was a fix but I can't recall what it was. Was it a mod?

2. Another bug I remember was the sudden upside down portraits. There was a fix for that, too, wasn't it?

3. And I recall the bug of suddenly missing portals for visitors and carpools which could be fixed with a cheat (?)

Thanks in advance for your help.

ETA: as an aside between the install disks I found old notes I had written on cards with the recipes for charms and spells and how to, I think, win at the magic duel. Now I'm in full nostalgia mode
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 2:18 PM Last edited by VerDeTerre : 28th Aug 2017 at 2:32 PM.
Oh - that's what causes that?... That's fascinating. If I recall correctly, once your Sims head to a downtown location, they start to gain interests and, if not, you can add interests with hacked objects. Right now, I can't find my favorite hacked item for that, which was a sculpture that also allowed you to add personality points, magic coins, or money to your Sims. But I also recall having a small bookcase, at one point. Again, I do not know where either of these items is from. But, I did find this object which says it can edit interests, the negative Sim Mood machine. Or you can use this: Super Sculpture. If you want to edit the interests of townies, you can pull them into your household temporarily using SimLogical teleporter bushes and then send them back into the world when done with another teleporter bush from the same site. And then there's this interest chair.

The upside down portrait thing...I've forgotten the fix. I seem to remember those fixing themselves as I played. Hunting around the internet, I found this forum from TSR where frisbud offers three solutions: One references a program from Sims Wardrobe, which is harder to find now. It may be a yahoo group. Also, I haven't been able to get that program to work properly on my computer. I think you have to download some program from microsoft to get it to go. Another references a patch for unleashed, which should have happened with the complete collection. Since I don't own the complete collection, I've always had to install with separate disks. Sometimes, the game doesn't install completely. Frisbud also have a suggestion for a fix by copying and moving files around. This site suggests using an IFF pencil. I've never done any of these things and, like I said, the thumbnails fixed themselves.

Missing portals usually could be downloaded. Here's a site with portals, mailboxes, and trash cans. Something that offers portals, but is looking like a table is here. Note that on the same page are hacked magazines that will slowly raise Sim's interests. This site has information about a cheat that helps you locate portals and, in some cases, restore them. Not sure what those cases are.

Good luck, Don! Please post back with what works for your game. I may want to try to install Sims 1 again on a newer computer and this could be very helpful. Thanks!

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Aug 2017 at 7:52 PM
Thanks a lot. That's a lot of things.

I forgot to mention that this is the Mac version, so any Windows applications are out of the question.

I do have a full backup of my old folder, but have all my mods compressed into a .far file. But knowing, for example, that something was fixed with a modded object can give me an indication on what to look for. And so now I remember that I had some sort of painting or mirror, I think, for giving Sims interest points back.

There is also a painting in my old folder saying something like No Interaction Cure. I think that is also there to fix a bug that was not fixed by EA.

Currently I am also still trying to figure out what all of the acronyms in my old mod folders refer to, like SSoW (that's Secret Society of Woobsha, I think).

It would probably have been easier to simply reactivate this old folder, but I have some hacked objects in there from Livin-It-up that crash the game when you remove them, and I want my new folder to be as CC free as possible. For the time being, at least...

I played Sims 1 until Sims 3 came out in 2009. So hopefully my memory will come back. The difficult thing is that I have some modified Global files and I simply don't know anymore what they were for or what they were supposed to fix or change or whether they were simply a requirement for a modded object.
Original Poster
#4 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 10:16 AM
Minor update, but I think it might also be helpful for those who start anew with TS1 (I myself got distracted by TS3 again). After starting a first test game I immediately noticed another issue, namely that female Sims walk as if they bore a grudge against all and everything. I remembered that it was nicknamed the "Gorilla Walk" and entered Google mode.
I found this list from The Sims Zone with known bugs and features that feel like bugs.
And Simslice has fixes for many of them. I think I had almost everything installed from these 4 pages. And there is also the "No Interaction Cure" I mentioned above.

Some external links are dead now, unfortunately, but I am quite positive that I still have backups of everything I ever downloaded for The Sims on DVDs. So if anybody needs anything particular that is not available anymore I could look for it and upload it to Simfileshare.
Firestarter
#5 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 8:56 PM
The gorilla walk, I think there are also still fixes in many of the older Yahoo groups. Anything you need, try the Savingthesims Yahoo groups. They have so much stuff up. And there are still many older hack groups up from the older Simslice creators. It's all on Yahoo. The N99 forum is still very active on Yuku. They have links to all kinds of stuff. Half the links are dead, but the other half still has a wealth of free content available.

I have found the same thing where I started playing again and can't remember half of what my mods are in the game. I have controller hacks that take care of some things. But don't remember the half of them. If you need help with file checking, Parsimonious has SkinDoctor up, and I forgot where ThingCheck is, but someone still has it up for GUID checking. Most of the old tools are still around if you hunt for them. But so many of the old sites are long gone.
Original Poster
#6 Old 8th Sep 2017 at 9:25 PM
The worst things are those files I edited myself. I can see them with the icon of the Hex editor I have so I know that it was me changing them, but knowing why or what I changed is the real question. Some of them I probably edited to merge two mods into the same file. (Again the Global.iff file comes to mind. The Gorilla Walk fix is I think a Global edit, and I know that my Sims had mobile phones which also required a modded Global, so I guess that I edited the Global myself to add both modifications).

And now if I only remembered my Yahoo Groups account details ...
Test Subject
#7 Old 11th Sep 2018 at 8:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Carrigon
The gorilla walk, I think there are also still fixes in many of the older Yahoo groups. Anything you need, try the Savingthesims Yahoo groups. They have so much stuff up. And there are still many older hack groups up from the older Simslice creators. It's all on Yahoo. The N99 forum is still very active on Yuku. They have links to all kinds of stuff. Half the links are dead, but the other half still has a wealth of free content available.

I have found the same thing where I started playing again and can't remember half of what my mods are in the game. I have controller hacks that take care of some things. But don't remember the half of them. If you need help with file checking, Parsimonious has SkinDoctor up, and I forgot where ThingCheck is, but someone still has it up for GUID checking. Most of the old tools are still around if you hunt for them. But so many of the old sites are long gone.

hello, this homepage seems broken http://sims2workshop.com/viewtopic.php?t=3420

could I get a chance to get 'Carrigon Shop in Bulk v6' please?